Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Red face Help-Installing XM Radio

I just purchased my first BMW, a 325xi wagon(and am never looking back!) but I want to install a XM radio. Since I am stubborn, I want to install it myself. Any suggestions on a)getting the antenna through the firewall and into the cab and b) hooking it up to the existing sound system? Lemme know what you think! If nothing else, I will give in and take it to a pro! Thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
I ended up installing XM Snap. Inexpensive. Portable. Installation took 15 minutes (time to route antenna wire). Perfect.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Member: Church of the FSM

Mein Auto: 323Ci 911 914 996 F-150
No need to make a hole in the firewall. XM antenna leads are designed to be flexible and thin enough to tuck under weatherstripping. Having said that, have you considered Internet radio? Cheaper than satellite, with equal or better variety and reception and no real installation needed.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Which XM unit are you installing? I have the BMW Sirius unit in my car, but use the Starmate Replay (old school portable) in my Jeep. I found the FM modulator to be invaluable for making a clean connection to the stock sound system. It connects between your FM antenna and the "radio" which for the BMW is in the trunk. An adapter will be needed, so you'll need to source that somewhere - not sure where to get this.

I have my antenna under the rear deck as many do and the reception is decent. I don't want it externally visible and the drag it produces slows me down for autocross.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin