Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Auxiliary Coolant Pump - 95' E34 - 540i

So over the weekend replaced my Blower Motor and Cabin Filter. As I was working on the Blower I noticed an Electrical connector that was disconnected by the Firewall on the Drivers-side corner. The other end was right next to it, it was the electrical side of my Aux Coolant Pump. After further inspection a short hose on the Pump was disconnected and did not have a clamp around it. Subsequent to digging into it there are a number of short hose one of which had 2 clamps on it however one was not tightened. Figured I would simply hook it back up properly but then noticed that the end of one of the outlets (not connected one) was broken off. 95% of the time I do my own work however a few months back I took it to a local shop because I had a small coolant leak and could not pinpoint the source. Apparently they, while troubleshooting broke the end of the plastic connector off and as such there was not enough material remaining to connect the hose and simply disconnected the electrical as well. My question is: will there be problems leaving this disconnected? Why does it not leak? Perhaps the pump itself is preventing a leak because the output valve is not opened until it is connected electronically. It has been too long to take it back to the shop however obviously will avoid them in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux Coolant Pump.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	343974  
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
You should take it back to the shop owner. These idiots COUNT on people finding these things wrong some time later and then deciding that its not worth the trouble to bring it back to dispute. They should pay for whatever they broke, and if they launch they excuse that stuff broke because its old, tell them that as professionals, they should know how to deal with old cars without breaking brittle stuff....the extra time they need is built into the price they charge you.

The area that you've mentioned is a potential source for leaks and by bypassing all of it, they have eliminated the possibility of leaks. However, your cabin heater will not function. That may not be something you'd appreciate. I suggest you go back to that shop that screwed this and make sure they fix it right or replace whatever they broke and be there while they do the work.

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 10-01-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
You should take it back to the shop owner. These idiots COUNT on people finding these things wrong some time later and then deciding that its not worth the trouble to bring it back to dispute. They should pay for whatever they broke, and if they launch they excuse that stuff broke because its old, tell them that as professionals, they should know how to deal with old cars without breaking brittle stuff....the extra time they need is built into the price they charge you.

The area that you've mentioned is a potential source for leaks and by bypassing all of it, they have eliminated the possibility of leaks. However, your cabin heater will not function. That may not be something you'd appreciate. I suggest you go back to that shop that screwed this and make sure they fix it right or replace whatever they broke and be there while they do the work.
RobertoBaggio, I do not disagree with your position. I know my E34 well and the only possible way it could have occurred is at that shop or a miracle happened or we should plan a trip to Lourdes for a Novena. However that being said, I do not think I have a chance in hell of proving it and forcing them to fix it. Unfortunately that is why I do repairs myself for the past 45 years. Sad, very sad one cannot take their vehicle to a shop and depend on their diagnosis, estimates and repairs. I feel sorry for those that have no idea what the shop is indicating is wrong and what it will cost. Welcome to the real world.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Why not give them a phone call and see ? Speak to the manager. She'll know what the shop is capable of, and won't mind the fact that you took so long to call in because, you trusted their repair and didn't bother to inspect it, which is what you should do right ?

Frequently, front line mechanics will screw things up and won't report that to the boss for fear of reprisals. They usually know what they are capable of goofing up and particularly when they meet a customer who knows what he's talking about, will be willing to either fix it for free or make you an offer that you'll find acceptable. They may face further problems otherwise.

This too happens in the real world. Its just the trouble of a single phone call. Why not call them and see what happens?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 530i
broken aux pump hose connectors (plastic)

today i was washing the car,letting it idle to charge dead battery(car sat fro four months during winter) While i was washing it the aux pump snapped a connector to two hoses and water went everywhere...i had noticed a very slight coolent leak last summer and never got around ti finding it or fixing it( was on my list of many things to do!!) My question is this: is this a common occurance????