Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645
SIAP: Driver floor wet, Rear SOAKED.

"Despite the use of a hose, I could not see any obvious leaks around the sunroof, windows or doors and was just lucky to spot a drip coming down above the accelerator pedal.

I had to remove both pollen filters and covers and found about 8 litres of water in the well under the brake servo! air filters?

The water was getting into the car through a small hole in the big loom gasket. I park on a sloped driveway and the rainwater ran to the back of the car, although the driver's carpet was also wet to the touch.

After getting all that water out with a large sponge, I could see two blocked drains - one under the servo (?) and another on the side that drains the plastic cover through the wing. (What is the wing?) These were seriously clogged and I had to use some stiff wire and water pressure to clear them through. The wing drains have a funnel shape at the top and were clogged with leaves for about 75mm. Do both wings when the covers are off. You can't easily get to the drain in the passenger side well because of the ECU box - I decided to leave it for now.

Job done - I am now drying out the interior.
This was a fairly simple DIY proposition:
Pull off the rubber strip that runs from wing to wing across the plastic covers. The plastic piece under the wipers?
Use a 13mm socket to turn the plastic retaining bolt 1/4 turn anti-clockwise on each pollen filter cover and then push the steel clip back to remove the filter.
Optional - disconnect the wiring plug to the bonnet alarm switch. (?)
This reveals another 3 plastic retaining bolts on each cover - undo these and lift off the two covers - n/s first.
Remove one torx screw holding each cover to the inner wings.
Optional - disconnect the wiring plug to the brake fluid reservoir.
Remove water, thoroughly unblock the the drains and then reassemble.
Now find a way to remove all the water from under the carpet - patience required for this one."

I've seen posts the internets about it but I have no idea what the hell was being identified. Evidently it is dripping from somewhere around the pedals. BMW has quoted me 1400 to clean them out, which I can't imagine is reasonable.

Looking for DIY photo's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by GulfCoastGuy; 07-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
I posted a message a while back regarding clogged drains that are adjacent and slightly under the microfilter housing on both the right and left of the car. Both can be accessed by minimal tools and no special procedures.

You can see in the pictures from the thread below that the passenger side drain does not require that you remove the ECU box. I think what you found may be for another model vehicle, I guess there could be drains I am unaware of below here. But the wings being referred to seem to be the left and right microfilter housing. You will need to remove the upper and then lower housing to access the drains. The post below shows details, also it links to a PDF DIY I put together for accessing these drains:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=drain
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM

UPDATE-----

Took my vehicle in for the water in the floor board issue. The service team lets me know that I still have my upper timing, value covers, and alternator bracket leaking... Only problem is, the selling dealership had my vehicle for two weeks and told me this was all taken care of. I even came out of pocket 1400 for some preventative maintence while they had things apart in addition to everything involving the oil. I am getting copies of the maintenance records tomorrow, and am forwarding them to BMW. I see it one of two ways: 1) I was lied to, and no work was done. 2) the was ****ty work performed.

Obviously, I would assume AutoPom would still not cover these issues.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Go to your dealer & get a copy of the work order. Do not tell them what you are up to, until you get it from them. Ask for the work order, showing parts removed from the parts department. If they replaced the parts, the parts department should be able to confirm that the parts were ordered for your car. At that point, you should be able to see if the work was done. If the work was done, simply show it to AutoPom & let them take care of the repair.

Good Luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Now, I should not be mad at my dog for breaking my windshield couple weeks earlier.
The guy had to remove the air filer and stuff to replace it and took leaves and garbage that could fill a small trash bag and cleaned the drain.
OP hope everything dries out fine.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Where are all the drains located exactly? Cleared some leaves out of the obvious once located by the dash and in the trunk, but wondering if there are any I missed.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I posted a message a while back regarding clogged drains that are adjacent and slightly under the microfilter housing on both the right and left of the car. Both can be accessed by minimal tools and no special procedures.

You can see in the pictures from the thread below that the passenger side drain does not require that you remove the ECU box. I think what you found may be for another model vehicle, I guess there could be drains I am unaware of below here. But the wings being referred to seem to be the left and right microfilter housing. You will need to remove the upper and then lower housing to access the drains. The post below shows details, also it links to a PDF DIY I put together for accessing these drains:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=drain

ok, so I printed your DYI and sure enough, the drains were full of leaves. My vacuum piece only went in 3 or 4 inches, so I am not sure that it was sufficient. Today, its bee. Dumping rain again and it's failed the test.

Are there drains elsewhere? Any ideas on where I could locate a better tool to fit in there.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Do you have any fairly thick weed whacker line? You could just try and ream it out and knock the debris through to the other side. Or if you have fishtape. Something flexible so it doesn't compromise the tubes but rigid enough to loosen the debris.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Do you have any fairly thick weed whacker line? You could just try and ream it out and knock the debris through to the other side. Or if you have fishtape. Something flexible so it doesn't compromise the tubes but rigid enough to loosen the debris.
I'll give that a try. Where would the debris be coming out of? I did notice when I tested with the hose that water streamed out of 3 small holes down the under the frame.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGuy View Post
ok, so I printed your DYI and sure enough, the drains were full of leaves. My vacuum piece only went in 3 or 4 inches, so I am not sure that it was sufficient. Today, its bee. Dumping rain again and it's failed the test.

Are there drains elsewhere? Any ideas on where I could locate a better tool to fit in there.
Used a shopvac without hard plastic end. It gets in there and sucks everything out.