Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: '09 328i convertible
E93 SmartTop users - how much do you love it?

Every time I get irritated that I can't open my E93 top with one click as I approach the car I think about getting the SmartTOP module for it. But then I see the almost $400 price tag and wonder if I really need it.

For those of you that have it, what are your thoughts? Nice luxury or must have mod? Any problems with it?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Random Helpbot

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5by5 View Post
For those of you that have it, what are your thoughts? Nice luxury or must have mod? Any problems with it?
Succintly put, my wife and I love the SmartTop. For us it's a must-have mod, and if you do a bit of searching through the forum you'll see that it's highly recommended by a number of E93 owners.

I assume you've already seen the features list so I won't summarize them here,* but I do have a couple of installation tips at the bottom of this post.

* If you haven't reviewed all of the SmartTop's features, it provides a lot more functionality than simply opening and closing the top with a click-hold. And if you do need the features list, I summarized them in the 12th post of the thread that I linked to and you can also open the attachment in the very last post.

Cheers.

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 09-06-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5by5 View Post
Every time I get irritated that I can't open my E93 top with one click as I approach the car I think about getting the SmartTOP module for it. But then I see the almost $400 price tag and wonder if I really need it.

Installed mine a few years back - trouble free op; no regrets.

For a few hundred $, not holding the button down alone worth its price.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Best thing I ever bought for my E93 and well worth the price - it seems over priced until you have it, then you wonder why you waited so long! I makes the car work like it should from the factory (and it would if lawyers were not involved!)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 09 328i 6MT Cabrio
Thanks for the reminder OP...I just ordered mines today! It's gonna be a great way to cheer myself up from the turmoil of the injuries she sustained in a hit & run accident a couple weeks ago. I also ordered the clear reflectors for added measure.

The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
+1 for SmartTop. Best thing I did to my E93....should be how it comes from the factory.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll part with the cash and hope to be suitably impressed!

Verts4Ever, thanks for the installation tips in that thread!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM

this just in...

I received my SmartTop mod in the mail this afternoon and installed it tonight. At first I thought about waiting and finding someone to do it for me....but heck I can read and follow pictures! Took me about 2hrs because I had a hard time removing the back panel enough for a friend to hold it open so I could access the wiring...but it was relatively painless and easy. I earned a lot of cool points doing it myself being a girl and all.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 AM

Let us know how you like it after using it for a few weeks!

And girls who drive convertibles get cool points no matter what.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Random Helpbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry328 View Post
Took me about 2hrs because I had a hard time removing the back panel enough for a friend to hold it open so I could access the wiring...but it was relatively painless and easy.
Nice job!

Besides opening and closing the top remotely, one of the functions we like best about the SmartTop is the ability to remotely operate the windows independent of the top. So if we make a quick trip into a store, we can leave the top down but roll the windows up to keep someone from reaching into the car. And since the remote window operation is intuitively set to roll the windows up with a two-second hold of the lock button and roll them down with a two-second hold of the unlock button, it doesn't take any more effort or thought than locking or unlocking the car.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Quote:
I received my SmartTop mod in the mail this afternoon and installed it tonight. At first I thought about waiting and finding someone to do it for me....but heck I can read and follow pictures! Took me about 2hrs because I had a hard time removing the back panel enough for a friend to hold it open so I could access the wiring...but it was relatively painless and easy. I earned a lot of cool points doing it myself being a girl and all.
Kudos - I think it took me about that long too - it is a pain the first time figuring out how that corner seat piece comes out and then is just a fair bit of stuff to get apart, but well worth it.

One thing I will warn about, I had one issue with them programming the car with the smarttop, previous times it had been fine, but I forgot to put it in bypass mode and then the programming failed, then it would not program even in bypass mode, I had to pull it (for a while we thought we bricked the top module, but eventually it programmed.

So don't forget to put your smartop in bypass for dealer visits as you never know when they may need to do an update and if it will hit the top controller or not.

Enjoy - can't imagine my car without it anymore.

Rob
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM

I want to love it but........

My top won't go up with the remote or without. I'm gonna have to remove the SmartTop mod before I leave work today....it's overcast and I can't chance getting caught in the rain. If anyone has an idea of what's going on please share.

When I press unlock and hold the 3 seconds (top is down) it brings the 3stack up and stops, then the trunk opens and that's it. I close the trunk and press and hold the lock and it takes it back down then roll the windows up. Even when I got inside and used the original switch it wouldn't do anything. No up or down. I'm trying not to wig out about it ...but these clouds are rolling in strong.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Random Helpbot

Quote:
When I press unlock and hold the 3 seconds (top is down) it brings the 3stack up and stops, then the trunk opens and that's it.
To close the top when it's fully open (in the trunk), hold the lock button until the top closing action starts (this typically takes three to five seconds of holding the lock button, depending on how fast you count).

What you're doing now by holding the unlock button with the top open is engaging the SmartTop's comfort access trunk feature. This is useful for when you have the top down and want to place something (e.g., groceries) in the trunk, but don't want to completely close and reopen the top.

And after you've initiated the comfort access trunk feature so the roof is half closed, you need to hold the unlock button again to put it back in the trunk. But first you have to have the trunk closed with the trunk partition fully seated or the top will not move, and if you ever have a problem with the top not moving either way then you very likely do not have the trunk partition fully seated (like what happens if the trunk is stuffed too full of groceries as my wife and I have done many times).

EDIT: It sounds like you may also have the interior position switch function reversed like we do. So with the top open, you're pushing the switch in the direction you think will close the top but the module may be thinking you want to open the already open top so it doesn't move. So if the top is open, try quickly pushing (do not hold) the interior switch down (forward) to close the top.

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 09-13-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 AM

I got caught in the rain running to get some lunch...but only for about a mile. It was light and I wiped it off the interior when I parked in the garage.

I pressed and held Lock but nothing happened. I could hear something going on mechanical in that modular area but no activity.

EDIT: the interior switch won't do anything. I tried pushing it down and pulling it up. Neither of the lights came on...not even red.

Last edited by Blackberry328; 09-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Random Helpbot

Quote:
I got caught in the rain running to get some lunch...but only for about a mile. It was light and I wiped it off the interior when I parked in the garage.

I pressed and held Lock but nothing happened. I could hear something going on mechanical in that modular area but no activity.
Try opening the trunk partition and reseating it firmly. Sorry for being repititious on this point, but the SmartTop module is extremely picky about the partition being closed, and I've often thought it was fully closed but needed to reseat it after the top wouldn't move.

Three other things to try... First, check to see if the module is indicating a data error with a contant LED rather than blinking. This happened to me when I had a couple of connectors mistakenly offset by one position, something which could have happened to you given the conditions you were working under. And if the module itself is faulty, it should also be indicating an error.

Second, if you have a plug-and-play module, use this troubleshooting guide to ensure that you don't have any bent pins in the plug.

Third, if you haven't already done so, use the configuration software to check if you have the latest firmware. I doubt this is the issue, but it can't hurt to try.

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 09-13-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 PM

UPDATE: I uninstalled the smarttop mod and returned Blackberry to her factory settings. Her top is up and all is well. I ran some tests beforehand but nothing worked so I'm going to contact mods4cars and see what they have to say. I'm so disappointed but I'm not against re-installing another unit if they decide to replace this one. I still love the features and can't wait to utilize it the way it should be.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Random Helpbot

Quote:
I'm not against re-installing another unit if they decide to replace this one.
Mods4cars has very good customer service, so I can't imagine they'll argue about replacing a defective unit.

You're lucky to have the plug-and-play version of the module. The install is more difficult for those of us with the older version that requires certain connectors to moved out of the factory plug and placed into another. To be honest, I'm hoping that I'll never have to uninstall our module as it would be a pain in the butt to do so, and it's definitely not something I would have the tools to do on a road trip.

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 09-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335ic
there is a reason to leave things stock.... id hate to mess up the top with the smart top program...
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM

SmartTop Update

I contacted Mods4Cars and received some new advice which worked. I reinstalled the module, attached the USB to my laptop, and powered the ignition. The green light blinked....then I turned off the ignition and unplugged the USB. The green light kept going. I powered the top up and down a few times Sunday evening and I tested it again yesterday when I got in from work. I haven't driven Blackberry since Saturday but so far the keyfob functions are working properly. This evening I'll start her up and let her run a few minutes then play with the functions again to make sure the module is powered up sufficiently. I'm very happy they were able to troubleshoot the problem so quickly. I'm gonna "play" with it a few more days just to be sure but I think everything is fine.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Fact:Clean Cars Go Faster

Mein Auto: '11 335i Convertible
i had the SmartTop module in my E93 for about a year and then had a bit of trouble (Mod4Cars was terrific, btw!) and had to remove the old module and wait for a new one and those few days without my SmartTop were the LONGEST DAYS OF MY LIFE! i had become so used to all of the functionality (easy one-touch top up/down, mirror fold in/out, automatic unlock when turning off the ignition) that losing them made me angry every time i got into or out of the the car... and the new plug-and-play module is bog-simple to install... yes, all of the functionality of the module -should- be built into the car (and may be able to be coded if you know what you're doing and have the right tools) but for us mortals, SmartTop was a no brainer (twice!)

Last edited by robingo; 09-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Random Helpbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robingo View Post
all of the functionality of the module -should- be built into the car (and may be able to be coded if you know what you're doing and have the right tools)
Unfortunately, coding possibilities to emulate the SmartTop functionality are limited. For instance, you can enable the factory Comfort Access option to raise and lower the roof by respectively holding the fob's lock and unlock buttons, but there's no coding option to enable one-touch raise and lower, invert the interior switch function or set it to one-touch operation, etc.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 PM

I'm taking Blackberry in to the dealer for some maintenance services tomorrow. I know I'm supposed to put the SmartTop mod in bypass mode so they won't detect it. But if they are doing a check on the convertible top then should I remove the mod altogether? She's borderline 50K miles so she's getting a very good once over all over.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Fact:Clean Cars Go Faster

Mein Auto: '11 335i Convertible
i would - if there's any kind of issue with your top and they find the SmartTop module (even if its not electrically connected to the bus) you may well wind up in a 'finger pointing' situation (as i did earlier this year)

when in doubt, take it out
(and then put it back in as soon as possible!)

good luck!
(love the color, btw)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM

I was kinda leaning towards full removal and now I'm definitely gonna do it. The day she comes home she'll be "smart" all over again!

Thanks on the color compliment too! It's not very common and I love it!