Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: Civic
Post Extended Warranty - Dealer made error - demanding

I just bought my new 535i this weekend. After much negotiation, the finance guy and I agreed upon a price for a 7 YR / 70,000 mile BMW extended warranty.

But, after signing papers, and driving the car home, I noticed that the dealer had mistakenly put 7 YR / 100,000 mile warranty (instead of 70,000 mile).

In fact, I only noticed this after the finance guy called me today and asked me to return the signed papers and re-sign another one that has the 70,000 mile.

But, he seemed to be quite rude on the get-go, treating me as if I cheated him and didnt bring the error to his notice - his argument is that I took delivery on Saturday and didnt call him back first thing on Monday!

So, friends, do I go back and re-sign a new document (he is sending one by mail to my residence), or tell him to screw-off and keep the one that I have...

Advice is appreciated.

Last edited by zillow; 10-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
First of all, I've never heard of a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty, but I've never bought extended warranties. Second, if he thought you were rude for not bringing it to his attention sooner he is an asshat, and I would treat him accordingly. My question to you, do you really drive the car under 10,000 miles a year?

BTW, my fundamental answer to your question is that if you signed it knowing that you were signing for 70,000 miles, I would go back and change it. It sounds to me like it really was an honest mistake, but I still would make him pay for his attitude somehow. Drink all the free coffee you can at the dealer while you are there. That is my standard joke when a dealer offers me something to drink....I want everything I can get for free because I know I'm about to pay dearly for it!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
First of all, I've never heard of a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty, but I've never bought extended warranties. Second, if he thought you were rude for not bringing it to his attention sooner he is an asshat, and I would treat him accordingly. My question to you, do you really drive the car under 10,000 miles a year?

BTW, my fundamental answer to your question is that if you signed it knowing that you were signing for 70,000 miles, I would go back and change it. It sounds to me like it really was an honest mistake, but I still would make him pay for his attitude somehow. Drink all the free coffee you can at the dealer while you are there. That is my standard joke when a dealer offers me something to drink....I want everything I can get for free because I know I'm about to pay dearly for it!
Yeah, they do offer 7YR/100K warranty (http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_3927f5d4...2-dce774027bde)

I think the dude made the error because I was negotiating hard and even declined extended warranty, if it is not within my price range.. making him turn a little red during negotiations.

Honestly, I really do not see any diff b/w 70K and 100K warranty. Will gladly sign the 70K amended document and send it back.

But given his demeanor and (in general) the notoriety of dealers and how they try to nickel and dime you to death, I am thinking of ignoring the dude and not pick up calls when he demands that I re-sign the contract.

He cannot come after me legally, I hope?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I would call the General or Sales Manager and tell him that you expect an apology form the finance guy before you can in good faith feel right about signing the papers.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
If I may ask, how much was the 7/70(100) extended warranty?

Did you also want an extended maintenance service agreement?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
The dealer made the mistake. If anything, the finance guy should have checked the numbers before having you sign it. Legally, what you signed is legit and they cannot come after you. However, it will be a goodwill gesture for you to go back to sign the revised contract. It's like saying "sorry I charged you less, can you come back to pay the difference".

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Just remember, if you got home and found that they made a mistake and overcharged you (monthly say), they would most definitely NOT resign the papers.

Keep that in the back of your mind, they would not do that for you, why should you do that for them?

Id say go back there and re-sign if they were apologetic and genuine, and say the Owner or the Sales Mgr called you. But for this runt to call you upset, screw him.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I would treat the dealer as you want to be treated the coming next seven years by them.

And the finance guy, well just ignore the sob, you'll probably not see him the coming seven years.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Do the right thing and re-sign the papers. Personally, I think it's no excuse, as well as wrong, to "penalize" a company because one perceives rude treatment from an employee...there's a correct way to handle that...besides, receiving something one has not paid for is theft. I've read countless posts complaining about dishonest car dealers...there are no degrees of dishonesty, nor does it change into something else when it's the customer taking unfair advantage.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Do the right thing and re-sign the papers. Personally, I think it's no excuse, as well as wrong, to "penalize" a company because one perceives rude treatment from an employee...there's a correct way to handle that...besides, receiving something one has not paid for is theft. I've read countless posts complaining about dishonest car dealers...there are no degrees of dishonesty, nor does it change into something else when it's the customer taking unfair advantage.
I like your attitude. Over the years I have had dealers make two mistakes that were caught after the fact. The first one was in my favor by $700. He made an honest mistake and apologized profusely. I paid him the $700 and have no regrets. The second mistake was actually on my BMW I have now. They made a $600 mistake in their favor that I discovered a few days later. They apologized and sent me a check for the amount of the error.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
There are really two issues here (1) the mistake and (2) the finance guy's attitude.

I like dunderhi's suggestion of escalating the issue to the owner/manager and demanding an apology. You're not going to change finance guy; he'll still be the scum of the earth (along with most other car dealer finance guys), but he will at least feel like a jackass for a few minutes.

Customers should not be treated the way he treated you. It's very true (as someone pointed out) that if he discovered an error in the dealership's favor, you can pretty much guarantee he wouldn't call you up and apologize.

Another option is to tell them you will be honest about your poor experience on the BMW survey where they beg you to give them an A+ across the board.

Then tell them you recognize it was a mistake and are happy to have the documents updated. Who knows, with a few survey threats, they might just leave it at 100K if you'll give them all "10s."

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E61 XI Touring
Speak to the sales manager at the dealer first and if you are not pleased with the outcome then contact BMW NA.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I am assuming the finance manager have not even submitted the paper work to the BMW extended warranty department yet, I would not play hard ball just yet. Like many have said, I would talk to the sales manager and ask for a apology from the finanace guy for been rude. Just remember, the power is in your hands since you have not fill out the survey yet.
This story is so familar to me, I dont know how many time I had good experiences at a car dealer right up until I meet with the finanace manager. Must all those guys be jerks, is that a job requirement? I have met a few nice finance guys before, but they are very few and far in between.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Fplanner2000

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
My Finance guy was also a jerk, EVEN THOUGH I PAID CASH!!! He also bad-mouthed the Sales Manager, which I brought to the SM's attention. Unfortunately, this jerk was not the exception, but appeared to be more the rule at the dealership I bought the car at. They lied about my trade-in and dismissed their lies as not affecting my bottom line, therefore all is OK. NO INTEGRITY. NONE. I will not be going back there, EVER. I had a list of bad behaviors that the SM couldn't explain away, other than "we're trying".... Apparently not hard enough. They have permanently lost my business and earned a very negative recommendation to all who inquire.

I have subsequently discovered there is all kinds of "wiggle room" in these extended warranties as well as extended maintenance agreements, despite the FM's tiresome "I can let you have it at this price only if you do it today". Pure nonsense - its just extra profit for the dealership.

To the OP - I wouldn't waste your time at the local level - go straight to regional or national and give them the clown's name. When the owner/manager of your local dealer is contacted about your complaint from his higher-ups, you will have a MUCH better chance of getting what you want. Its all about leverage, which you can easily get in this situation by talking to the correct people. Just my $0.2..
550ix, Dark Graphite Metallic II, M-package, Dinan Stage 2, 20" wheels, conven pkge, cold weather pkge, Prem Pkge 2, Paddle Shifters, vent seat pkge, sport transm pkge, fold-dn rear seat, etc. Black Dakota Leather, Light Wood trim
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi MSport
7 years, 100,000 miles is an option. I don't know how much extra the option is as I have a 7 year 200,000km (120,000 mile) extended warranty (BMW Canada) and mine was close to $4K. So the contract you signed is for a legitamate product (I think it would be different if BMW NA didn't offer a 7 year/ 100,000 mile warranty) and therefore couldn't be deemed void from that perspective. The next question I would have is what is the difference in cost between the 70k and 100k policies? We may only talking about a couple of hundred dollars or we may be talking about a thousand, or more. If it is in low hundreds I'd hold them to it as a cost of rudeness. If it is over $1k I'd do as dunderhi suggests.
2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, 316, 322, 3AG, 5AD, 5AG, 5DL, 609, 620, 655, 677, 6FL delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I would call the sales manager and let him know that the treatment you received has made you re-consider the extended warranty so if they want to void the contract you have you rather void the whole extended warranty. Then you can decide if you still want the warranty when the factory warranty expires depending on your miles and plans for the car. It's IMO a better way to go about extended warranty anyway and perhaps they agree that the 100k miles deal is a fitting apology for their terrible behavior.

Last edited by solstice; 10-02-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I would call the sales manager and let him now that the treatment you received has made you re-consider the extended warranty so if they want to void the contract you have you rather void the whole extended warranty. Then you can decide if you still want the warranty when the factory warranty expires depending on your miles and plans for the car. It's IMO a better way to go about extended warranty anyway and perhaps they agree that the 100k miles deal is a fitting apology for their terrible behavior.
Now that's a great idea!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fplanner2000 View Post
My Finance guy was also a jerk, EVEN THOUGH I PAID CASH!!!
Of course he's going to be a jerk, he can't make any money off your cash sale unless you also pay cash for some after sale!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
Quote:
I would call the sales manager and let him know that the treatment you received has made you re-consider the extended warranty so if they want to void the contract you have you rather void the whole extended warranty. Then you can decide if you still want the warranty when the factory warranty expires depending on your miles and plans for the car. It's IMO a better way to go about extended warranty anyway and perhaps they agree that the 100k miles deal is a fitting apology for their terrible behavior.
Yep. There is absolutely no reason to sign up for an extended warranty when you purchase the car. You can purchase the BMW extended warranty from any dealer throughout the country at any time before the original warranty expires.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
That's nothing.....when I bought the 535, the F&I guy forgot to ask me for the check. I could have walked out and not paid for 30% of the car. LOL. I didn't need the police chasing me up the highway, though, so I pointed it out to him...

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA43 View Post
Yep. There is absolutely no reason to sign up for an extended warranty when you purchase the car. You can purchase the BMW extended warranty from any dealer throughout the country at any time before the original warranty expires.
Does the extended warranty become more expensive the older and greater mileage on the car as opposed to when the car is new? Do you go with a BMW or third party administrator?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 528ix
Is there any difference between the extended warranty you purchase when new and the cpo coverage you get when purchasing used?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
I would call the sales manager and let him know that the treatment you received has made you re-consider the extended warranty so if they want to void the contract you have you rather void the whole extended warranty.
This is exactly what I would do.

With the paperwork signed, there is nothing that I'm aware of other than your own personal integrity that requires you to go and resign to make the correction. However, this is a business relationship, and while every auto-finance guy on earth is a scumbag (broad generalization) it could come back to haunt you at the dealership.

I would also ensure that in your survey, you are very clear that the finance guy was a tool.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
Is there any difference between the extended warranty you purchase when new and the cpo coverage you get when purchasing used?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
No difference that I know of.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Well, in other news ...... with any luck the dealer will have you arrested ........

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/09/deal...tomer-arrest-0

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)