Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i, 2013 535i x
Weird Night Time X3 Display

I have a new 2011 X3. At night time I have a rectangular box in the area described in the Owner's Manual as the 'Electronic Displays' in the instrument cluster. I just noticed it tonight, and I swear it was not there before. Are others seeing this box? It's pretty distracting. It's not present (at least you can't see it) during the day time. I've tried adjusting the panel dimmer, but even at its lowest setting the rectangle is visible. Even in the garage at night, with the garage lights turned on, it is visible. The car was in the shop today for a center speaker replacement and I wonder if something needs to be reset. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000741.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	295885  
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 PM

I think that portion of the cluster is actually a video screen and either the contrast is set wrong or it is set too bright. Does anyone else have an instrument panel that looks like this? Thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
First bimmer

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickroll View Post
that portion of the cluster is actually a video screen ... Does anyone else have an instrument panel that looks like this? Thanks
Yes, and yes.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
+1. Its is normal
Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Hi,
I have the 35i and it is visible but not to the extent of yours. I actually didn't notice this until you mentioned about it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I believe this is the instrument cluster you get with those X3s equipped with NAV. It is there day and night. It is blocked off in a separate 'rectangle' because it is a separate screen that serves many purposes. In addition to giving your information on fuel efficiency, it also will give you turn by turn directions (when using NAV). It serves many functions. Play around with all your features and you will see the screen act accordingly with some of those functions. I am sure you will get used to it once you see what it does.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
That looks annoying. Almost seems like an instrument cluster display issue.

I drove a 7 series with navigation aids on the cluster. It was not like your picture and also centered more.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM

It looks like you have your dimming feature turned to the brightest setting. Turn it down a bit and take a picture. It is normal.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 XDrive
Quote:
I have a new 2011 X3. At night time I have a rectangular box in the area described in the Owner's Manual as the 'Electronic Displays' in the instrument cluster. I just noticed it tonight, and I swear it was not there before. Are others seeing this box? It's pretty distracting. It's not present (at least you can't see it) during the day time. I've tried adjusting the panel dimmer, but even at its lowest setting the rectangle is visible. Even in the garage at night, with the garage lights turned on, it is visible. The car was in the shop today for a center speaker replacement and I wonder if something needs to be reset. Thanks
Did you ever find a solution to this? I picked up 2012 28i and it has the same lighter box... It's driving me nuts.... Any suggestions?
Navigation
Cold Weather
Bmw Apps
Back up camera/ Park Distance Control

2012 X3 28i Alpine White/ Black Nevada
M Sport Package
Convenience package
Premium package
Technology package
Cold weather I
Premium sound
Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 AM

No I never did find a solution. It does not matter where the dimmer control is set, I still see it. I took it to the dealer and they claim it is normal. It is very annoying at night.

This is the second X3 that I have owned. The first one had iPhone integration issues, and eventually the dealer replaced he vehicle with the one this thread was written about. I did not notice the first vehicle with this issue, and I am a detail freak. On the other hand, I did stop by the dealer at night and looked at an X3 they had on the lot, and it was doing the same thing as mine. So I guess it is normal. But perhaps some of these displays could be brighter than others.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 AM

What were your Iphone integration issues on the first one?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 XDrive
Quote:
No I never did find a solution. It does not matter where the dimmer control is set, I still see it. I took it to the dealer and they claim it is normal. It is very annoying at night.

This is the second X3 that I have owned. The first one had iPhone integration issues, and eventually the dealer replaced he vehicle with the one this thread was written about. I did not notice the first vehicle with this issue, and I am a detail freak. On the other hand, I did stop by the dealer at night and looked at an X3 they had on the lot, and it was doing the same thing as mine. So I guess it is normal. But perhaps some of these displays could be brighter than others.
Yes, I find it really annoying as well. I can't believe this is considered "normal" and acceptable... Hopefully I'll get used to it....
Navigation
Cold Weather
Bmw Apps
Back up camera/ Park Distance Control

2012 X3 28i Alpine White/ Black Nevada
M Sport Package
Convenience package
Premium package
Technology package
Cold weather I
Premium sound
Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
What were your Iphone integration issues on the first one?
The iPhone, in the integration cradle, would continually connect and disconnect. The dealer worked with BMWNA to resolve it, but couldn't, so they ordered a new car. I was convinced early on it was a faulty combox controller, but BMWNA did not want to start swapping parts. The original car was eventually fixed, but only after I had the 2nd new one.

They eventually fixed the problem with the iPhone by replacing the combox controller. I have to say the dealer treated me extremely well during the process, ultimately agreeing to replace the car.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:26 PM

I have an Ipod Nano that I keep hooked up in X strictly for music as I don't want to keep taking my Iphone in and out of the car. The first X3 I had as a loaner for 2 months worked great with the nano for 4 weeks. After that, it would reconize the Ipod, but wouldn't play any music from it. It would just sit there without sound. You could move from song to song, but no sound. My Iphone would work, but not the nano. Dealer said it was a software glitch and they couldn't fix it. Fast forward to the second X3 which I have owned for 6 months. Nano has worked flawlessly until this past week. It is now doing the same thing the first X3 did. It reconizes it, but won't play any music. Why after 6 months of working perfectly would it just stop now? I haven't updated it or even had it out of the vehicle recently. Now that it isn't working, I tried the latest software....no help. Tried going back to an older version of software. Nothing. WTF??
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
I've read this a few times and I don't get what the complaint is. Because, it sounds like you guys are upset that the LCD screen in the dash is lit up (?)

I'm not really sure what you were expecting it to look like. Surely you don't expect it to be as black as the plastic in the cluster.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I've read this a few times and I don't get what the complaint is. Because, it sounds like you guys are upset that the LCD screen in the dash is lit up (?)

I'm not really sure what you were expecting it to look like. Surely you don't expect it to be as black as the plastic in the cluster.
It is black in the daytime. At night there is a rectangle that is lit up. I think it should be black, as it is in the daytime. It is very distracting at night. Take a look at the photo at the beginning of this thread. That rectangle you see is black during the day.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: '12 x3 35i
if you don't want your dash to look like a video game, you might turn off the "additional indicators" you have on.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff View Post
if you don't want your dash to look like a video game, you might turn off the "additional indicators" you have on.
'Additional Indicators' has nothing to do with it. Even if there was nothing displayed in the rectangle, the rectangle would still be visible. It is the 'backlight' of the rectangle that is the problem.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: '12 x3 35i
if you press the button on the end of the turn signal stalk you'll cycle through various displays that may appear in that rectangle. when not using the nav, i usually choose a simpler display, with less information that you have, which also diminishes the prominence of that part of the dash. i just mentioned turning off "additional indicators"" as another way of simplifying the dash, and making it less distracting, especially since the information "additional indicators" displays is graphically intense [varying length red and purple bars, for heavens' sake] as well as essentially worthless.

Last edited by j3ff; 01-28-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
Weird Night Time X3 Display

Hi,

Yes, I see the same thing--it is, unfortunately, typical. You are probably not seeing a brightness issue, rather it is a backlight issue--this LCD screen is artificially lit up so that black, or no character, is slightly lighter than a dead screen would be.

I don't know why this is done in this sort of display...there is either a character or not a character---no need to sweat details that are almost black. On a TV set, the blacks are jacked up a bit so that dark detail is not lost in the variations among TV setups from viewer to viewer--but in a TV picture, there will be dark detail one wants to see.

I expect there may be either a software adjustment the owner can't get to, or a physical adjustment buried somewhere behind the dash on a circuit board.

In reality, the display is always bright as you describe--it's just noticeable at night and masked during daylight--the brightness setting will accentuate or minimize what you are seeing, but never solve it since your entire dash has to be too dim in order to reduce the effect you are seeing.

In your photo, notice that the entire dash is a bit overexposed, so I think the photo may exaggerate the issue...I can't really tell.

Somewhere in the back rooms at BMW, someone decided the display has to be like this.

this seems to be a learn-to-live-with-it thingy.

best

Luna-01
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012x3
Quote:
'Additional Indicators' has nothing to do with it. Even if there was nothing displayed in the rectangle, the rectangle would still be visible. It is the 'backlight' of the rectangle that is the problem.
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'm wondering if you ever solved this? Not sure why but I just noticed this tonight, after having my car at the dealer for a few days. I thought I was losing my mind and imagining this all of a sudden, but I KNOW it wasn't this bright for the first 9 months I had the car.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
Hi Sharky--

I did not solve this (anyone else?) but you might try fiddling with your dash illumination brightness to minimize the effect. I'm not with our X3, but as I recall, the display backlighting is tied to dash illumination.

I tried but no BMW tech really seems to know such details.....I expect BMW doesn't make that stuff known.....the day that vehicle tech info became proprietary was the end of tweaking for most stuff.

I got all preoccupied with this at one point, but once I resigned myself to being stuck with it, I didn't notice it much any more.

best

Luna-01
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 AM

I cannot adjust it out of my X3. FWIW, the issue is not present on my 2013 535 which has a similar display.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2012x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna-01 View Post
Hi Sharky--

I did not solve this (anyone else?) but you might try fiddling with your dash illumination brightness to minimize the effect. I'm not with our X3, but as I recall, the display backlighting is tied to dash illumination.

I tried but no BMW tech really seems to know such details.....I expect BMW doesn't make that stuff known.....the day that vehicle tech info became proprietary was the end of tweaking for most stuff.

I got all preoccupied with this at one point, but once I resigned myself to being stuck with it, I didn't notice it much any more.

best

Luna-01
Thanks. Yeah I figured this is a "get used to it" thing. It's just strange that it showed up after 9 months. That what threw me. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
You can doubly turn down the brightness I think.

There is a rotary dial next to the light switch.

Also you can dim the display more in the Menu system somehere.

You'll get used to it, it's better than not having it :-)