Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Subaru Outback
SMG (SSG) priming... and priming....

RE 2003 Z4 2.5

After reading a number of threads, headed to the dealership and paid $16 for part number 12631742690 (relay changer salmon red), but when I went to replace the relay in the E-box, the pins are different.

I did also track down a service bulletin which discusses a replacement of the control module and was able to confirm that this was already done.

Am looking for a free lift to check the hydraulic fluid.

Essentially, think the fluid and relay are best first steps.

Can anyone help me with the relay difference?
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I would take the stock relay to the dealership and let them look at it to make sure you get the right replacement relay. My relay went bad in my 2004 Z4 3.0i SMG and I was sold the wrong relay for my car. I installed the relay they sold me and it burned up my hydraulic pump. The relay for the Z4 is just for the Z4 SMG. The other's are different. I got lucky and the dealership replaced my pump at no cost to me. But it was still a pain. The pump had to be ordered from Germany and it took a week to get here. It would of cost me over $800.00. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Subaru Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey48 View Post
I would take the stock relay to the dealership and let them look at it to make sure you get the right replacement relay. My relay went bad in my 2004 Z4 3.0i SMG and I was sold the wrong relay for my car. I installed the relay they sold me and it burned up my hydraulic pump. The relay for the Z4 is just for the Z4 SMG. The other's are different. I got lucky and the dealership replaced my pump at no cost to me. But it was still a pain. The pump had to be ordered from Germany and it took a week to get here. It would of cost me over $800.00. Good luck.
Looks like I was heading down that road. Thanks for info. Question: is the relay in question the "salmon" or orange colored relay towards the front of car in the E-box? And my alert was my purchase was "salmon" and had five prongs... the one I am asking about above and thought to be the culprit had seven (I believe)... son has at school so can't confirm just now.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
The salmon one towards the back. Good luck.