Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
BMW Tire Insurance for new 535xi?

Hello all-

I am going to pick up my 2013 535xi tonight and my sales guy is really pushing tire insurance. It has the M Sport package so comes with the all weather sportier run flat tires. I live in Chicago so there are pot holes galore. He spoke of the bulge problem and says this is a must have.

Any thoughts on this? Good experiences, bad experiences with the insurance? I am inclined to do it but am not particularly savvy on it either.

Thanks!

(ps I live in a high rise condo so storing an extra set of tires is not really an option for me).
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i xDrive
Probably a good idea to get the insurance. Make sure to try and get a deal on the price they quote you. Members of this thread have been able to get good deals on the insurance. If you look at the consolidated RFT thread you will find your answer. I have looked through it and it seems as if the low profile RFTs are prone to bubbling. You should probably get it since you live in Chicago and have winters that will most likely tear up the roads through the season (I know roads get worse for me in Cleveland as the winter goes on). Although, I am no expert and you should read through the RFT thread. Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
I have a 2011 535 XI and I purchased the tire and wheel insurance for 5 years for $1200. So far at two years and 24,000 miles I have had 3 tires replaced, ($1500) so it has already paid off for me. My car was made in September 2010. All three tires replaced were original. I just rotate my new tires to the rear as it has been front tires that have bubbled. I can usually tell when I hit a big pothole that I will see a bubble develop. It is possible that the newer GY LS 2's are made better. Anybody know if that is true?

I would definitely recommend Tire and Wheel insurance if you live in Chicago. I live in suburban New Hampshire, but every time I had a bubble it was from hitting potholes in Boston or Philadelphia. 19 inch GY LS2's cannot survive a city pothole. One good thing about the T&W insurance is that I have not had to purchase any tires yet. I put the oldest ones up front.
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

2012 BMW R1200RT light magnesium, Sport/Touring Motorcycle
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
This is really helpful, thanks. Chicago roads are brutal, especially after winter. It is not possible to completely navigate the potholes- I drive a 2009 335xi and have not had any problems but did not have the 19" wheels either.

What about pricing? I am leasing my car for 36 months- I think he mentioned it would be in the $1100 range but that sounds high given your information. How much wiggle room is in this?

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Sounds like you've made the right decision. Leasing in Chicago, yes go for the insurance. Make sure it's BMW not third party insurance and negotiate as you would any auto purchase, they have room.

Longer time frame with an outright purchase, other options.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy72 View Post

What about pricing? I am leasing my car for 36 months- I think he mentioned it would be in the $1100 range but that sounds high given your information. How much wiggle room is in this?

Thanks again!
I purchased it two years ago before the LS2 situation became obvious. I had paid a good price for my 535 so I was not interested in paying too much for T&W insurance, so I said $1200. The dealer had a good profit on the car and gave me the insurance for a good price. The price may have gone up now, but you can still negotiate this price just as you did on the lease.

Anybody know if the newly manufactured LS2's have a better composition to resist bubbling?
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
Quote:
but every time I had a bubble it was from hitting potholes in Boston or Philadelphia.
Why weren't the bubbles covered by the tire manufacturer warranty? Mine are.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewtech View Post
Why weren't the bubbles covered by the tire manufacturer warranty? Mine are.
I guess if you don't have T&W insurance you can get GY to replace them in the first year only. I believe they prorate the tire for wear. I personally feel better about getting my tires worked on at a good BMW dealer. The T&W insurance covers my tires for a full five years from the date of purchase. It also covers those expensive wheels that occasionally get damaged as well. Best thing I have ever bought. I must admit that I purchased this extra insurance based on what I read here on the Bimmerfest Forum. I usually do not purchase any after market insurance for any product, whether it be a car, RV, electronics, appliance, etc.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
My dealer emailed me this in regards to the cost:

"Itís a ridiculous price of $1789 for 3 years."

So even he thinks it is a crazy price but he has seen it save people a lot of money when they damaged the tires and wheels.

$1789 is pretty crazy, he also said maybe anyone getting it under $1,000 is getting it from an outside company?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
Skip it. Tire warranty covers defects and push that ultimate driving machine around those road hazards.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
My dealer emailed me this in regards to the cost:

"Itís a ridiculous price of $1789 for 3 years."

So even he thinks it is a crazy price but he has seen it save people a lot of money when they damaged the tires and wheels.

$1789 is pretty crazy, he also said maybe anyone getting it under $1,000 is getting it from an outside company?
I believe it has been reported that the insurance has gotten more expensive now that there have been so many claims, particularly in the larger cities. If the statement, "Anyone getting it under $1,000 is getting it from an outside company" is true then that may mean that you could get it in the $1,000 to $1789 range from BMW for three years. Your dealer's price may be negotiable. I think, however, that I have read about people posting here that they got the BMW T&W insurances for three years in the under $1,000 range.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
before going in to purchase the car,call first to see what tires are gonna be on your specific car.
then contact that company and get information about the warranty,ecspecially the part regarding road hazards.

because when the bmw rep attempts to sell you the insuarance,he is also gonna pressure you by telling you ,that you must decide like now.
once you leave the insurance is off the table.at least that is the info i was given.and ive read of numerous others being told the same thing.

when you go in ,first ask if the tires have such a problem,and they have been aware for some time, why would they continued to provide them .
just to see the look on his face and then the hesitation or stutter that should follow.

be aware, as i have learned here, bmw has a history of attempting to spin responsibiity.
so dont be suprised if he says,bmw wanted to abandon them,but their drivers preferred they stay with them.

finally you will be paying a lot of money for the insurance. enought that you can buy a new set of whatever tires you choose,with either included in the price or a small additional charge for road hazard coverage.
and dont be only concerned with the cost factor. consider the numerous times you car will be off the road,the trips you will make to the dealer for tire work.also the stress and inconvience that it brings.
these tires,assuming they are the good year ls2 19 inch, are not only weak they are also not always readily available.

yes consider the cost factor,but also consider the time,and stress factor.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
My advice is to get the coverage...these policies now can cover "curb rash" in addition to tires and wheels. If you live in an area where roads are affected by winter conditions, you definitely need this coverage! If you have doubts in this regard, I suggest you read some of the tire threads here and, particularly, those regarding the 5 Series and run flat tires.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-26-2012, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I think BMW is making more money selling these tire and wheel insurance than they are selling cars
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
Price for insurance was $1640 for 4 years up to $6000 cap total. Too expensive for my blood. My old E60 had one bubble which cost $400. I'll take my chances and pay as I go if I need them. BUT I do have 18"s.
Isn't driving around potholes part of the BMW driving experience?
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewtech View Post
Skip it. Tire warranty covers defects and push that ultimate driving machine around those road hazards.
Only for one year and they don't cover rims. I went through 10 tires and 3 rims on my 550 in 2 years...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
My wife got a flat last month, the local tire store offer her tire insurance for all 4 tires at $50 a piece. The insurance is for the life of the tire and prorated by thread depth after the 1st year.