Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Thanks for the info and heads up.
Anytime. If you have any further questions, send me a p.m.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Glad you are OK.

Do you have insurance through Liberty Mutual with the BMW affiliated Performance Insurance? They guarantee genuine replacement parts.

Hopefully they total it. Since your car is very heavy price wise, they may be reluctant to.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
So glad to hear that you feel OK and not apparently hurt right now, but remember you're probably still running on adrenalin, so like the earlier poster said, get to a Doc. soon and have a thorough going over. Sprains and bone misalignment can take days to show up, and longer to heal. Hoping you get a quick settlement in your favor with no future worries.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi M Package
DreamCar, I just checked the boards and saw this. I am so glad you are ok mate. The damage looks pretty bad, but I have seen local shops fix worse. This car is pretty loaded and I would want to be made whole as well.
I hope you do not have any injuries. If you feel that the insurance people (I assume it's of the person that hit you) give you hard time, involve a lawyer. You will not believe how much they change the tone when legal representation is involved.
I am not saying you should sue them, I am saying that lawyers are known to be better negotiators. This is all pre-emptive, but just offering my 5 cents.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Damn DC! That really sucks. Glad your okay though.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Important thing is you are okay.
I am working for an insurance company (in Canada though) and I showed the pictures to some other guys here at work. Can't say for sure but there is a good chance that your car is having some structural damage, by the looks of the car that hit yours. Usually the insurance companies would consider repairing, if the costs are up to 80% of the actual vehicle value.
2011 F10 535i xDrive MY 01/2011 Sophisto Grey/Black
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: Future: F80 M3
Thanks for all the replies and info .. couldnt ask anything more....
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicamuci View Post
Important thing is you are okay.
I am working for an insurance company (in Canada though) and I showed the pictures to some other guys here at work. Can't say for sure but there is a good chance that your car is having some structural damage, by the looks of the car that hit yours. Usually the insurance companies would consider repairing, if the costs are up to 80% of the actual vehicle value.

Really appreciate the info... As of now insurance guys are saying it has to be more than the cost of the car for them to total it ...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: F10
DreamCar,

Main thing is you your safe. I know it's stressful, but you're in one piece. Good luck with the insurance companies and hopefully everything goes your way.

Sean
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Really appreciate the info... As of now insurance guys are saying it has to be more than the cost of the car for them to total it ...
I am an attorney in NJ. The only analyis that I am familiar with for NJ motor vehicle property damage claims is cost of repair vs. value of the vehicle. If the repair cost is more than the actual value of the car, the car is totaled. If the value of the car is more than the repair cost, then the car is repaired. I have never heard on an insurance company in NJ engaging in an 80% analysis.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Well i just got a call from the apraiser he is saying it will most likely be total loss.. still awaiting on the official confimration..

The sad thing is it is priced at 57K which is less than my finance (even though i bought it for a very low price because of the ED+Incentives etc:- ) i am really bumped that my car valued so less.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Well i just got a call from the apraiser he is saying it will most likely be total loss.. still awaiting on the official confimration..

The sad thing is it is priced at 57K which is less than my finance (even though i bought it for a very low price because of the ED+Incentives etc:- ) i am really bumped that my car valued so less.
Oh sh* so your upside down

Glad your ok! and a smashed 5 still looks sexier than most cars

what did it feel like?

Last edited by SuperTerp; 10-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:

No GAP Insurance on the Finance?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 535-XI
Angry

Quote:

I feel your pain had a similar incident a few years back
Im in NJ have NJM insurance & the estimate was close but not the full value
They were going to repair it so i called & pleaded my case additional concealed damage etc.
They decided to total it
I know i would never had been happy with the car & trying to sell it i would never had gotten close to value (car fax etc)
The main thing is you are OK the sadness will go away
Good luck
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I assume that this is the estimate from the liability carrier.

I am sure that you also have collision coverage on your policy. You could always make a claim through your policy. Then your company will evaluate the car. You might get a better number, or, maybe worse. This is just an option that you have.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
No GAP Insurance on the Finance?
Yeah thats is one good thing i did.. I have a gap insurance..

Hopefully if they total it i will use the gap insurance.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah thats is one good thing i did.. I have a gap insurance..

Hopefully if they total it i will use the gap insurance.
Yep, at least you walk away even. Then you can get that 2013 M5 F10 with B&O and HU_NBT you have been eyeing...

Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
what did it feel like?
Sine this was my first i cannot compare it to anything... horrible metalic sound

I has to close my ears after the hit.... i was completely lost until the BMW asisst lady called me...

Last edited by DreamCar; 10-03-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Sounds like things are looking to get sorted in the best way. Time to go to bmwusa.com and start playing around
Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Sounds like things are looking to get sorted in the best way. Time to go to bmwusa.com and start playing around
Not if he's upside down , if he was 5k up on it I'd say yeah but being below finance might require a different financial decision.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Not if he's upside down , if he was 5k up on it I'd say yeah but being below finance might require a different financial decision.
The GAP Insurance makes him even.

However, if he was experiencing "severe neck and back pain" as a result of the "trauma" he sustained from this "careless" individual's "gross negligence", well, then maybe he comes out way ahead...

Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yep, at least you walk away even. Then you can get that 2013 M5 F10 with B&O and HU_NBT you have been eyeing...
At this point i hope they total it and i walk away even...

It would be some time before i can think of shopping a new car...

But i am surprised about the price hit.... these cars really depreciates a lot.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
At this point i hope they total it and i walk away even...

It would be some time before i can think of shopping a new car...

But i am surprised about the price hit.... these cars really depreciates a lot.
The first 18 months is a big hit, but I am sure they were low balling you too, maybe using the low end of KBB, or even the auction price. You do not have to accept their price. My son totaled his truck, and I negotiated back and forth with the insurance company until their offer improved several grand.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
At least it's a car still in production. I have nightmares about my car being stolen or wrecked since there is nothing I want to replace it with.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
It sounds like it will be totaled which will ultimately be good for you. The GAP insurance was a good move on your part. I bought mine outright so you can't buy GAP insurance and would have to take a depreciation hit.
However, to protect myself, I pay $85 a year for full replacement coverage if a totaled collision should occur; i.e. I get a new current model car for up to two years.
Once again, GL
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i