Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8L roadster
1997 Z3 stuck seats

my son bought a '97 Z3 we have been rebuilding all year - all is great except we want to replace the seats but can't get them out - they do not move front or back - the switches work, the motors engage, the cables try to turn the threaded rods - but something clearly is not moving that needs to - we are guessing they are rusted/seized - we have been able to get the front frame nuts off, but not the rears - how can we run the seat forward to access the rear nuts? if the motors won't turn the screws, is there any reason to believe we could by hand, or with a drill? is there anything we could lubricate, or hit with a hammer? very little room under there to see what's going on - any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated - thanks! Rolf and Hannu in MA
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
Do they move up and down? You might be able to move the seat all the way up and try to get a small socket in. Getting to the inside one is going to be difficult.

It is possible that if the car had water intrusion, the rails may have rusted and are seized.

Another possibility might be that a previous owner jammed something in the seat rails to alleviate a sliding/rocking problem (common). If the motor works, this could be the culprit.

Last edited by Hornedfrog1969; 10-09-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: new information
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 1.9 Roadster
The electric seats give lots of people bother. However, dousing the motors and threaded shafts in wd40 and some gentle poking and prodding usually gets them mobile again. Especially if you can hear the motors engage and know the switches are working.

I swopped my own seats for a set of Z3 M leather seats last weekend and after installing them found the up/down function on the driver's seat (which would have been the passenger seat in the breakers car I bought them from) was stuck with the seat set in the highest position.

Like you I could hear the motors trying to engage and feel a little shudder in the seat when I tried using the up/down controls. After a good spray of wd40 a few times and persisting on trying the switch the seat eventually just kicked in and started working perfectly. This is what happens with most of the same situations I could find info on by searching through various forums.

Hope this helps and you get them unstuck. Persistence is the key.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8L roadster
both the motors and rods/carriages are cased in metal - how does WD get in there? any key spots to target? thanks!