Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 BMW 318i
318i throttle cable change

Well lucky i saw that the throttle cable is down to its last few strands before I was left on the highway. I haven't order the replacement cable yet but I already tried to remove it. It was good up until the firewall. There must be something im not aware of. Do i remove the square plastic guard where the cable comes through the fire wall? Do i cut the cable and pull it out the engine compartment? Does the replacement cable come in pieces and is reassembled on each side if the fire wall? Your answer are a appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFehr911 View Post
Well lucky i saw that the throttle cable is down to its last few strands before I was left on the highway. I haven't order the replacement cable yet but I already tried to remove it. It was good up until the firewall. There must be something im not aware of. Do i remove the square plastic guard where the cable comes through the fire wall? Do i cut the cable and pull it out the engine compartment? Does the replacement cable come in pieces and is reassembled on each side if the fire wall? Your answer are a appreciated.

I do not know about your 318i which is probably a M42 engine but the 318i M40 has the cable come complete...inner cable...covered in Mylar....and outer flexible/fixed section.

It is best to tie the end of the new cable assembly onto the old cable assembly so as to be able to pull on the old one and thus thread the new one though. You should be able to see on your new cable where it is attached to the pedal and the bodywork.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Many
Take a look at this page.It has a picture of a new cable that you can look at.
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...ge/31/1994/125
Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Ok my bad.It is an 1984 318i so it is an m10 engine e30 body style. Thanks for the suggestions though. The throttle cable has been ordered but hasn't arrived. It the photo it looks as though it would be too short. It is complete with plastic brackets , housing and all other accessories. Is there one cable to the engine from the fire wall and a different one to the petal? How does one go about removing the all components to the cable and replacing them?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
One cable, and it's not very long. Like 24" or less. IIRC it's even shorter than that. The pedal box that holds and locates the accelerator, clutch and brake pedals has a lever and crank arrangement that transfers the gas pedal movement to the cable. The cable doesn't connect directly to the pedal itself.

John, that link doesn't take you to a picture of the throttle cable. It takes you to the search page. You still have to enter your year-model and what part you're searching for.

This thread should help:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1534019

If your browser has a hissy fit when you click on that, ignore it and tell it to go there anyway. Bimmerforums was flagged for a link to a questionable website, which was removed. Until the all-clear circulates the web, you'll get that "oh my god the sky is falling" warning.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Last edited by hornhospital; 10-03-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks that was the advice i needed. Will repost any father problems i my have. Hopfully none.