Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Too Young to start a company?

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I last posted here. I wanted to get everyone's opinion and some help.

I'm turing 23 in November. I've been tossing around the idea of starting my own business. I'm a full time undergrad student at UMBC(Graduate next fall) and I work two part time jobs. I'm in the IT field. My father has a PH.D in Engineering Management, but he has his own successful business. I WILL be attending grad school. My question is, is it a good time to start now, or wait till I graduate? Should I start 'building it' now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
The problem with starting a business while in college full time is you can't dedicate yourself fully to the business. If you're just doing IT work on the side, that might be ok. If you're talking about hiring other people, wait until you graduate as any start-up will require your full attention to succeed.

As far as too young, one's never too young to start. Look at the stories behind many successful people, and you'll find they started early.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The problem with starting a business while in college full time is you can't dedicate yourself fully to the business. If you're just doing IT work on the side, that might be ok. If you're talking about hiring other people, wait until you graduate as any start-up will require your full attention to succeed.

As far as too young, one's never too young to start. Look at the stories behind many successful people, and you'll find they started early.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I last posted here. I wanted to get everyone's opinion and some help.

I'm turing 23 in November. I've been tossing around the idea of starting my own business. I'm a full time undergrad student at UMBC(Graduate next fall) and I work two part time jobs. I'm in the IT field. My father has a PH.D in Engineering Management, but he has his own successful business. I WILL be attending grad school. My question is, is it a good time to start now, or wait till I graduate? Should I start 'building it' now?
You can do either depending on how much of a time commitment you can afford. A family member started a VERY successful business when he was 18, sold it when he was 20 for 7 figures because he felt he couldn't manage it well anymore due to junior year in college. If your major isn't that demanding right now I suggest you get it off the ground a bit. Depending on what you want to go into (Computer Tech for example) you can do a bit of work in your free time and start building contacts. But if it's something like a restaurant, that's something you are going to have to wait on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post

^exactly my point, you can do many things as long as you have the time. Be sure to incorporate properly and carry the proper insurances/licenses/requirements before you start!