Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 328is
Fog light wiring help

Hello All,

As I try to bring my 97 328i to par, I am finding out that it is rather addictive, and time + $ consuming. Anyways, does anybody know how to hook up the fog light wires into the white plug housing? On the passenger side, I am quite set because the wiring and connector are ready and connected. On the driver's side however, I just have a dangling wire (naked) that is it.

I went to pelican parts and bought the white plug housing that goes into the rear of the fog light assembly. Problem is how do I get the wire inside the white plug housing? It is those black boots that I am looking for - what are they called and how do I get them? Or can I just use something else? THanks much.

Photo credits to brodster @ bimmerforums.
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
do you mean the weatherpak seals?? not sure if they are available or not by themselves. the connector pins are, though.

the connector is also available, but does not come with the wires.

what you would need would be a 'pigtail', and they can be tough to find.

the actual wiring connectors should be the same as many other connections, but the color of the wires will not always match. regardless, if you have the correct connector (the white plastic part) then the rest is just a matter of finding the wires to use.

your options are to look for someone who is parting out a car and get a 'pigtail', grab some wire connections from a junkyard and unclip the old connector and use the new connector in its place (not too difficult to do...) check the dealer for weather pak and pins.

df
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
do you mean the weatherpak seals?? not sure if they are available or not by themselves. the connector pins are, though.
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what the weatherpak seals are or even the pig tails? I know - I am a total noob, what I am look for is that black stuff that covers the wires and goes inside the white plug housing (which I have). How do I get that black stuff?

Will this work? Will it fit into the white plug housing above?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-92-9...5cef43&vxp=mtr

Thanks much.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
Search this part number on bavauto.com

61 13 1 378417K
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Thank you, so I have to buy the entire kit I suppose, I shouldn't have bought those damned white plug housing connectors by themselves - $ss down the drain.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
well 1st, this will be a lesson learned. and a cheap one at that.

secondly, the weatherpak is the black stuff you referred to.

next, the ebay listing is what in the auto industry call a 'pigtail'. while there are not many bmw pigtails available, there is a repair kit for the foglights.

the kicker is i used connectors from another wiring harness (an e32) to wire in my foglights. they're straight connectors, not the 90degree bends like oe, but they are the correct shape to plug in and lock securely in place.

one may also be black, i do not remember.

regardless. the electrical connector (round spade, iirc as to what we called them) is a commonly used connector in euro cars, so almost any connection would fit when installed in the plastic plug connector (the part that you purchased).

i've done this more times that what i care to recall, and somewhere on here i have some pics of an electrical pigtail conection that i did. i offset the connection location from the wires from each other to reduce a clumpy looking connection.

so instead of this:
........o.......
........o.......
........o.......

it looked more like this:
...o.............
........o........
.............o...

if that makes any sense to you...

anyway, i'd get the bavauto kit (need 2 for your car)

df