Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
My journey to owning a BMW - 2008 Jet Black 535xi

Hi All,

Obviously, I am new to the forums and thought I would shed some light on my newly purchased 2008 Jet Black 535xi, and the journey that has brought me to it.

Warning: Wall of Text/Life Story Incoming

To begin my venture I must explain what my previous driving experience has been. Since before I was able to drive I've always been into cars. When I was about 9 years old, my Dad left the house in his Chevy Malibu(or similar "meh" car) one Saturday morning and arrived home in the afternoon with a brand new Firebird. They had advertised it in the paper incorrectly for 10k less and had to honor the deal - Ha!. He sat me in one of the bucket seats and took me for a ride around the block and through those four turns and a 3 minute ride, cemented my future as an "enthusiast".

When it came time for me to get a car around my 16th day of birth, I researched forever and monitored every used car site imaginable until I was able to narrow it down to two cars:

1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - 65k Miles

1998 BMW M3 - 85k Miles

First, you may be thinking, what kind of kid gets this type of car as their first car? To be fair, my dad had bought my older sister and brand new Oldsmobile Alero(WTF Dad Really?) for her 16th Birthday which was right around 13K. I had saved up a few thousand dollars from working at a pool supplies store so I dumped all of that into my first car purchase.

Unfortunately, since my Dad was taking care of most of the payment, his one condition was that my Mom had to be able to drive it, which meant the 98 M3 was out of the picture.
Damn - How close was I to understanding the greatness of BMWs at such an early age?

Oh well, I was still extremely happy with the GT - Bright Red - Chrome Rims - 10 Disk CD Changer(This was cool as a teen). Two days after having the car(I was just about to turn 16), I was riding with my Mom and pulling back into the garage. I meant to brake 3/4ths of the way in and hit the gas. Long story short - I put the push lawnmower in front of my car through the garage drywall and a silver dollar sized hole through my front bumper. This was and is the only time I have said the "F Word" in front of my Mother. Although, I was quite upset with what I had done, it was actually a lot of fun working with my Dad to "Bond-o" the hole, patch it up and paint over it. We also got to touch up some other spots on the car that weren't perfect since we had already bought the paint! To this day, I do not push any pedal while in the Garage without moving my foot back and forth to make sure it's the right one!

Over the years, the GT served me well. I had the typical driving record of a teen slightly amplified by the fact I was driving a bright red sports car. Luckily, I never received any tickets for obscene amounts....Because I didn't drive that fast..... . The car came with me to college, and was used only as necessary, mostly just for the 2 hour drive home on breaks.

After college, I got married and moved from Texas to Colorado. Typically - getting married would be enough to lessen the value of the car, but moving to Colorado only amplified the issue to due far harsher winters in the RWD car. During this time my 2ND set of chrome rims started peeling, causing my tires to deflate after about 4 days. Luckily, I married into a fully loaded 2008 Jeep Wrangler, so the issues that the GT presented in Colorado and its lack of space were taken care of by making the Wrangler our daily driver.

Since arriving in Colorado we knew we wanted to replace the 3000GT, but thought it would take 4/5 years since we were planning on buying a house after a while(happened this past March) and were wanting to save up. This fact, stayed true for my wife up until the week we bought our BMW, but for me it changed much sooner. We were taking our dog(Malamute) for a walk in our new neighborhood when I took notice of a station wagon. Until this moment in my life, I had never had any appreciation for a wagon....Ever. The beauty that changed my mind was a Jet Black 2010 535 X-Drive Wagon with m5 mirrors and Matte Black Rims. I pointed it out to my wife, and to my surprise she said "I have always loved station wagons..It's Nice." Knowing that it was a BMW, I instantly dismissed the fact that I could personally own one, but checked it off as an interesting car to look at in the future. Un/Fortunately, Each day that I walked by the car caused me to grow even more infatuated with it, which lead to me casually research what was available in our area. I then learned they stopped production of 5 series wagons in the U.S. in 2010, which would make it harder to find the vehicle in the future. Being partial to black wagons - I decided to monitor what was in the market around us and see if any deal came across that was too good to pass up.

Over the next few months I kept an eye on used car sites and made a few calls to dealerships asking for information etc. One Saturday I got a text from a salesman at a used BMW dealer I had reached out to previously that a Jet Black 08 535xi had been lowered in price by $6,000USD and they wanted to get rid of the car right away. I set up an appointment to test drive and was secretly getting very excited. When I showed up, they informed me that the text they sent previously misquoted the price $4,000 lower "by accident"....Typical. I test drove anyway because I hadn't actually driven one yet, which was probably also a mistake because all it did was make me fall more in love with the car. Either way, I told the salesman that there is no way I am going to honor them by buying a car when they pulled me in with a ridiculous misquote. Two weeks later I was on vacation, thinking nothing of cars, and I got a text from the salesman that the price was once again(and truly this time!) $6000 lower than previous price and that they wanted to give me a significant increase on my trade-in(the 3000GT). At this point I was sold, but I assumed that was only half the battle, knowing my wife would have to sign off on it as well. To my surprise she was good with the purchase as long as it made sense financially. With the deal we were getting, it made 100% sense so we pulled the trigger.

As you all know, your first car holds a bit of sentimental value, no matter what condition it was in or what kind of car it was. To say the least, I had a lot of memories in the car, and I was slightly bummed to depart with it, even in the condition it was in. The remorse was wiped away the instant we got in the BMW and drove it home, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

My Thoughts on the 2008 535xi:

First you can see the old listing for the car here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Appearance:

Exterior:
This is what sold me on the car in the first place - minus knowing that it was AWD. The paint couldn't be more quality, and I am noticing more minor details I like everyday. I love the styling of the lights and how sophisticated yet aggressive they look. The two things I am not extremely fond of are the rims and the chrome trim around the windows. Luckily, I have Shadowline vinyl sitting on the kitchen counter waiting to go on next weekend. Rims will be upgraded to Matte Black VMR v710 after the winter(going to use the stock wheels during the winter to avoid unnecessary wear on the aftermarket Rims.

Interior:

This was an eye-opener to me the first time I sat down to test drive the car. Everything on the inside of the car is stunning. The leather color at first was a bit of question mark to both my wife and I, but as we were driving home we both admitted they it was growing on us a lot. The speedometer is simple, yet elegant and uncluttered. I thought it was a really nice touch how the "Cruise Control" throws a little red notch at the speed you have it set at. I think the little touches like this are what make me really enjoy the car. It is an added bonus in Colorado to have the Cold Weather Package with the butt warmers and Heated Steering Wheel. The iDrive(?) has taken some getting used to, but I am growing fonder of it daily. My 3000GT was made far before Bluetooth capability was being thought of, but having this functionality has just been an added bonus - I hadn't noticed how much a pain holding a phone up to your ear while driving was until I didn't have to do it anymore. No navigation system in this car, but if it is anything like the Jeep's we have, I would probably have stopped using it when they update the software every 6 months and charge you $200 for it.

Drive:
Smooth, Smooth, Smooth. With my sampling of 98 3000GT, and 08 Jeep Wrangler none of you are probably surprised that this is a significant difference than what I am used to, but I just have to say...It's Smooth. I got on the gas slightly in the test drive, but never floored it and was caught off guard when I was put in the back of my seat. Driving home from work the other day, I floored it from about 10-15MPH and a grin came across my face that even at that speed, the tires peeled a bit and I was thrown back into my seat. So much for Station Wagons only being for soccer moms! I am also very pleased with the responsiveness and grip the car has. I took a curving on-ramp to the highway at 65 MPH the other day and I could feel the car saying, "is that all you got?" All in all I'm very impressed. I also find it quite ironic that my 3000GT was not the first car with twin turbos, but the station wagon I purchase for what I justify as a future family car has them!

Plans for the future:
As I mentioned before I have a handful of ideas for what to do in the future.

Happening 100%:
Blacking out chrome trimming around windows: BMW Shadowline Vinyl.
Matte Black Rims: Thinking VMR v710's(I know nothing of how to fit an AWD but it looks as though this is a common option)

Considering:
Blacking out chrome Kidneys with Shadowline Vinyl - Would love some input here!
M5 mirrors - Stupid expensive?
Shaving Emblems

All in all, I am super excited about my new car. I'm hoping that you enjoyed the read and I look forward to getting to know you and your rides.

-Dean
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Dan,

Welcome to the club!

Happening 100%:
Blacking out chrome trimming around windows: BMW Shadowline Vinyl. -Good idea.
Matte Black Rims: Thinking VMR v710's(I know nothing of how to fit an AWD but it looks as though this is a common option)
- Get 18" rims. 245/40/18 all around. Get offsets that push them out 1/2 inch, or get spacers to achieve same.

Considering:
Blacking out chrome Kidneys with Shadowline Vinyl - Would love some input here! -No, just buy the kidneys via Ebay. They are cheap and easy to replace, just clip in.
M5 mirrors - Stupid expensive? -Yes, leave alone
Shaving Emblems

Consider tuning it. You can add 100 hp for $500. Thank me later. This would be no 1 on my list.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i x-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
Dan,

Consider tuning it. You can add 100 hp for $500. Thank me later. This would be no 1 on my list.
+1. You might get a little less from tuning than us lowlanders, but I have the Cobb AP Stg 1 aggressive installed on my 09 535xi, and it is a complete rocket. You will not regret it.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
Welcome to the forum.

Three months ago, I traded my 08 535i Black Sapphire/Natural Brown/Anthracite trim; 22,000mi. The interior was what originally sold me on the car and I liked the look of the chrome around the windows but I had style 244 rims that, IMO, changed the whole look of the car. To each their own.

I really enjoyed the car and it was flawless but I felt it was time to move on. My wife and I had been in a severe accident in the car in Jan. 2010 and we knew the resale was going to get clobbered, even though the car had been repaired to 100% perfect condition. The best thing I can say about the car is that it is very, very safe and amazingly durable.

GL
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i