Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
Rear window seal acting up

I replaced the old and crumbled rear window seal a while ago. While replacing it I noticed that the glass is installed with a slight offset to the right such that the channel for the window seal is narrower on the right side. As a consequence, ever since I replaced it, at least once a week I have to push the seal on the left side back into the channel. Here it is again backed out itself this week (sorry for the dusty picture):

I thought I should probably glue it and someone suggested I use auto glass black adhesive, maybe something like this 3M 8690?
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6601_640x480.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	345168  
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '97 528i
woah....rear window offset to the right!me thinks that even with the window NOT installed on the car,the seal wud seat nicely around it as the seal channel is deep and narrow enuff to grip the glass .....?anyways....yes.the glass adhesive would do nicely.tape it up after application until it dries.....and remove the tape g e n t l y ..........

Last edited by moots; 10-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by moots View Post
woah....rear window offset to the right!me thinks that even with the window NOT installed on the car,the seal wud seat nicely around it as the seal channel is deep and narrow enuff to grip the glass .....?anyways....yes.the glass adhesive would do nicely.tape it up after application until it dries.....and remove the tape g e n t l y ..........
Thanks for the confirmation/advice, I went ahead and ordered the adhesive, got it today, time permits will put it to use over the weekend.

Regarding the seal channel, the seal actually only hugs the glass on one side while resting against the car body on the other. Because of the glass offset, the channel on the right side of the car is so narrow it actually makes seal install more challenging, while on the left side the seal, although still pressed in, is more relaxed, which is enough for it to back out with vibration/wind.