Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
How to disable mirror dimming on F30?

Anyone know how to disable the auto-dimming on the F30's mirrors? Lived with it for 5 weeks and I really do not want to keep this up now that it's dark in the morning when I leave for work.

So is there a DIY?
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line
If it's the same system as the E90 you cannot disable it. The solution which is not elegant is to cover the sensor in the mirror. Then again, the auto-dim should not dim unless someone behind you has their brights on.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: Acura
if you tint your windows the side ones have no idea how bright it is back there and stop dimming. The rear view mirror still dims tho.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I found it very annoying that the dimming feature could not be turned off as every other car that I ever had with that feature had a switch that let you turn it on and off.
I blocked the sensor but I did not want to disable the feature, I wanted to control it.

I finally came up with this low-tech solution that I made from the lid of a Tic Tac box.

The lid can be opened and closed to unblock and block the sensor.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-03-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
^^ sweet. Simple and functional.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
^^ sweet. Simple and functional.
The BMW logo is adorable. Not as good as my iPod Velcro mod, though.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The BMW logo is adorable. Not as good as my iPod Velcro mod, though.

BJ
Pics or it didn't happen!

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I found it very annoying that the dimming feature could not be turned off as every other car that I ever had with that feature had a switch that let you turn it on and off.
I blocked the sensor but I did not want to disable the feature, I wanted to control it.

I finally came up with this low-tech solution that I made from the lid of a Tic Tac box.

The lid can be opened and closed to unblock and block the sensor.

Thanks. Where's the sensor?

And agreed about the dimming function. Only BMW demands the mirrors dim automatically at night, which drives me nuts, as it makes the mirrors feel pretty much worthless. There's never a time I will want the mirrors to dim so I just need to figure out where it senses it's dark make it stop blocking me from seeing things in the mirrors.

Last edited by brkf; 10-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Thanks. Where's the sensor?

And agreed about the dimming function. Only BMW demands the mirrors dim automatically at night, which drives me nuts, as it makes the mirrors feel pretty much worthless.
The sensor is at the top center of the rear view mirror. If you look closely (at least on the E9x) you will see a small silvery circle about 1/8" in diameter.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The sensor is at the top center of the rear view mirror. If you look closely (at least on the E9x) you will see a small silvery circle about 1/8" in diameter.

CA
I see a sensor up there. I'll put some electrical tape on it and hopefully that will fool it into never dimming my mirrors.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I see a sensor up there. I'll put some electrical tape on it and hopefully that will fool it into never dimming my mirrors.
That's what I did but then I realized that sometimes I wanted them to dim so I thought about coming up with a way to block and unblock the sensor.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Wish BMW would allow a delete of such worthless things. Unfortunately, they went a step further and made it standard for 2013.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
I really hope it works out for you so it stops your whining. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: YA
This is the best feature since sliced bread in a car and I don't see why anyone would want to delete it. I'm tired of getting blinded by bastards who have their lights too high.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt1337 View Post
This is the best feature since sliced bread in a car and I don't see why anyone would want to delete it. I'm tired of getting blinded by bastards who have their lights too high.
I would not want to delete it either but there are times when I want to be able to temporarily override it,

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I really hope it works out for you so it stops your whining. Good luck
cheers
vern
Unlikely since his car is not a E46. But one less thing to gripe about.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt1337 View Post
+1 Most don't realize its a safety feature that stops one from being blinded,like you said from those "bastards".I don't have the dimming mirrors on my X3 and its a PITA.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I like the feature as well, but I also agree they should have a switch (like my A4 had) to disable the feature if someone strongly detests it... as brkf obviously does.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I like the feature as well, but I also agree they should have a switch (like my A4 had) to disable the feature if someone strongly detests it... as brkf obviously does.
I don't strongly detest it and most of the time I realy like it but depending on the environment I am driving in I would like to be able to turn the feature off.

I am sure there is some wire that could be tapped in to to install a switch that would break the circuit but at this point my Tic Tac lid serves the purpose,

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
The permanent nature of the auto-dimming mirrors is absurd, and the fact that even my wife's five year-old Subaru wagon has a simple "on-off" button for the feature on the center mirror and BMW does not, is twice as absurd. If you drive on the freeways of downtown LA at night, surrounded by dozens of buzzing and slicing lowered Honda Civics, you want to know exactly where every bit of every other car is, every second. The BMW auto-dimming mirrors get so damn dark, that you notice the arrival of new cars several seconds later than you would have otherwise, usually when they are right on top of you or crossing behind you into a space you had your own eye on. Plus, the devil is in the details; I notice or see plenty of information in the shadows - the rear 1/3 of a car who's headlights I never would have seen because of alignment in any mirror but I spot them instantly because of reflections and highlights in an un-dimmed mirror. With the stupid-dark BMW dimmed mirrors, you will NEVER see a bit of that same car if you didn't see their headlights first. To me the system is ridiculously unsafe, for that reason. I don't care at all about how bright somebody else's headlights are; I can always move to wherever I have to to lose them. But even that is harder with a "Blacked-Out" side mirror, since any delay in figuring-out what you're seeing is not what driving or the "Ultimate Driving Machine" is supposed to be about. So I have my little systems also, to block the sensor - but the Tic Tac door takes the cake. Proof of how stupid the system is? When I open my garage from inside the car in broad daylight, the ambient daylight outside completely sends all my mirrors black, when I need to check them on general principle to back-out past the afore-mentioned Subaru. Please...
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
if i want returning my car in 2 weeks i would offer to swap with you lol
Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelvio View Post
The permanent nature of the auto-dimming mirrors is absurd, and the fact that even my wife's five year-old Subaru wagon has a simple "on-off" button for the feature on the center mirror and BMW does not, is twice as absurd. If you drive on the freeways of downtown LA at night, surrounded by dozens of buzzing and slicing lowered Honda Civics, you want to know exactly where every bit of every other car is, every second. The BMW auto-dimming mirrors get so damn dark, that you notice the arrival of new cars several seconds later than you would have otherwise, usually when they are right on top of you or crossing behind you into a space you had your own eye on. Plus, the devil is in the details; I notice or see plenty of information in the shadows - the rear 1/3 of a car who's headlights I never would have seen because of alignment in any mirror but I spot them instantly because of reflections and highlights in an un-dimmed mirror. With the stupid-dark BMW dimmed mirrors, you will NEVER see a bit of that same car if you didn't see their headlights first. To me the system is ridiculously unsafe, for that reason. I don't care at all about how bright somebody else's headlights are; I can always move to wherever I have to to lose them. But even that is harder with a "Blacked-Out" side mirror, since any delay in figuring-out what you're seeing is not what driving or the "Ultimate Driving Machine" is supposed to be about. So I have my little systems also, to block the sensor - but the Tic Tac door takes the cake. Proof of how stupid the system is? When I open my garage from inside the car in broad daylight, the ambient daylight outside completely sends all my mirrors black, when I need to check them on general principle to back-out past the afore-mentioned Subaru. Please...
In your case I wouldn't drive the BMW at night and don't park in the garage. Use the Subaru. Or better yet trade it in on another Subaru
Good luck
cheers
vern

Last edited by vern; 10-04-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM

I can think of absolutely no reason why BMW did not provide a defeat switch for the auto dimming feature.
There are some driving conditions where I find that the dark mirrors make it difficult to see what is behind me such as when driving on crowded freeways after dark. There are some situations when I want to be able to reduce the glare from bright lights behind me and I want the mirrors to dim.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Exactly what my wife said: "gee; can't turn off your dimming mirrors, eh? - just don't hit me on your way out. And until you get "Last User Mode" for the Stop-Start, I wouldn't drive that car anyway". I have nothing to say. Cheers
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
+1 Most don't realize its a safety feature that stops one from being blinded,like you said from those "bastards".I don't have the dimming mirrors on my X3 and its a PITA.
cheers
vern
Never been blinded by another car's lights. 20/20 vision and been driving for 28 years. Dimming mirrors make me feel like I'm driving with someone obscuring my vision, akin to really cheap sunglasses.