Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: **** BMW
lurker with questions

I've been lurking for about a month and have to thank the group, en masse, for all the nuggets of useful information that can be found. I have test driven the 328i xDrive (and the Audi A4) and have a couple of questions.

Jon indicated that now is a good time to order a car and to start the financial work with BMWFS (lease) for delivery later this Fall. Is there a chance that a lease agreement signed at the time a car is ordered will expire before the car is delivered? I am gifting myself the car for my Christmas/b-day gift so am trying to get the timing right.

Another board member made a comment regarding AWD and snow.. and the better choice would be an A4 vice the AWD BMW? Can I get some reads on that comment?

Just a comment, but there doesn't seem to be any 'modern' line here. Why is that?

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
You can lock financing I believe for 60 days, which makes it unlikely that signing paperwork now would be a good idea. What dealer are you looking to order from? If you lock in about 45 days out from expected vehicle delivery you would have the choice of going with that locked money factor or taking advantage if the money factor drops further. I don't believe that you can lock in the residual although usually it's balanced against the MF so that payments would be similar IF there was a change in residual.

A4 quattro vs. BMW 328xi performance in snow will likely have more to do with the tires on the cars then either AWD system. It is worth noting that the x-drive system is "newer" and has more of a RWD bias, so in deep snow the Quattro setup might be slightly better. I have driven Quattro equipped cars through 12 colorado winters so I am looking forward to seeing how x-drive stacks up. Sadly I will not know more till snow starts falling in another 3-4 weeks or so.

If you are in Ashburn, VA, then I would seriously question why you feel you need AWD at all. According to various sources, Ashburn gets about 14" of snow a year... hardly worth it to get AWD... you'd be better off saving your money and getting a rear wheel drive 328i and if you are really worried then opt for all seasons or get a separate set of snow tires.

Bottom line, both are great cars. You can get a handsomely equipped A4 for quite a bit less than a 3-series. However, if you are leasing the payments will be fairly similar since the 328xi will have a higher residual most likely. The A4 is a much older design that recently got its mid-life facelift. 328xi is a brand new design with a bigger cabin, faster acceleration and arguably better performance than the A4.

You don't see much modern line performance because, to the primarily male population here, the modern line interior with all of the burled wood, the oyster colored gauges, and the exterior with those turbine wheels is a little bit feminine. If you like the modern line then just order it, it does not matter what people here think about it.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 10-12-2012 at 01:56 PM.