Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
service lights

Ok, I know there are a lot of post about this already but right now I don't have the time to read through them all to find my answer so I was hoping for a couple quick ideas. I just had my oil changed 2 weeks ago. When they changed it they reset the service lights on my 02 530. As of yesterday I am down to one service light. However no maintenance message is displayed and it is the light second from the right as looking at the guage. I have tried the reset but nothing happens. Any ideas or is the wonderful NiCad batteries that run this? Thanks for the help.
Ads by Google
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstripe22 View Post
Ok, I know there are a lot of post about this already but right now I don't have the time to read through them all to find my answer so I was hoping for a couple quick ideas. I just had my oil changed 2 weeks ago. When they changed it they reset the service lights on my 02 530. As of yesterday I am down to one service light. However no maintenance message is displayed and it is the light second from the right as looking at the guage. I have tried the reset but nothing happens. Any ideas or is the wonderful NiCad batteries that run this? Thanks for the help.
NiCad batteries where? Not in your e39 I hope. Since your down to one light I doubt they reset the service indicator.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM

green

I had only read a post that some service lights had the NiCads. Wasn't sure if that was on the E39s. This is my first bimmer. So pardon the ignorance. I do know that they did reset the lights because I was down to only two when I took it in. When it came out they were all illuminated. Like I said I have tried reseting using the trip meter reset method. I get the Sai end but the lights don't change.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM

I've never heard that the service lights would go off before they should. I reset the service indicator with INPA so I haven't used the trip meter method.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM

think I have it.

According to the note at the end of the instructions it cannot be reset until it has met the min. fuel consumption. As to why the lights were all illuminated when I got it back and why I only have one on now. I have no idea. I guess I'll wait and see what happens with the oil inspection light comes on.

RESET SERVICE INTERVAL LIGHT: (procedure is for 2001 and later BMW E39 models):
0. Make sure the ignition key is not in the ignition, i.e., the ignition is OFF (position 0);
1. Press and hold the trip odometer button (located to the left in the instrument cluster);
2. While holding the trip odometer button, turn the ignition key to ACCESSORY (position 1);
3. Keep the trip odometer button pressed for about 5 seconds until you see "OIL SERVICE" or "INSPECTION" with "RESET" or "RE" in the display (on vehicles with the "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel in liters remaining until the next scheduled service interval);
4. Let up on the trip odometer button & then again press down on the button and hold for another 5 seconds until "RESET" or "RE" flashes;
5. While "RESET" or "RE" is flashing, let up on the trip odometer button and press it down briefly to reset the service interval indicator (SII);
6. If successful, after the display has shown the new service interval, "END SIA" will appear in the display for approximately 2 seconds.
Note: If "RESET" or "RE" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum fuel consumption level and resetting is not needed (nor is it possible).
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM

I would still be troubled as why those service lights turned off show quick.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Why not just ignore those stupid lights, and change oil every 5k?

BTW, E34 and earlier had the NiCads.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM

edjack, I didn't plan on going by those anyway, I was just concerned with the fact that the lights went out so quickly.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Your 02 e39 uses SIA III. The lights go out based on the amount of fuel that is consumed. Resetting the lights with only 2 green bars left...didn't affect the calculation of fuel consumption...so when you reached a specific amount of consumption...the SI display went to where it should be. (see the 3rd bullet underlined in orange in the SIA III info below)

As others already mentioned, if you want to change your oil at a shorter interval than the SI lights...then by all means go ahead. But resetting the lights isn't really necessary (as you see) in that the fuel calculation will continue as normal.

If you want to use the lights as well as a shorter change interval...use them as an indication of when you've reached a specific mileage that you'd like to change the oil. The fuel consumption calculation (on average) equals out to about 15K (could be more or less depending on how you drive and how much fuel you consume...but we're talking averages here)...so when 3 green bars have gone off...you're more than likely driven around 7500K. Change your oil etc and let the lights be. In the next 7.5k...the Oil Serv or INSPECTION warning light will come on...you can change the oil and reset the lights at this point.

BTW, since you're new to BMWs...remember to pay attention to age/generation/model when searching for info. The last 5 series that used NiCad batteries in the SI indicator was the probably the e28 5 series...the last model year for those was 1988.

SIA III explained below:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-23-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM

QSilver, thanks for the information and insight on doing searches. I still think I might have an issue with a computer or a short somewhere. I went from four to one and now four are illuminated again. I don't know if these lamps are tied into the pixels, but I do have pixels that seem to come and go as well. Should I be worried?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
This will be cross referenced to the canonical thread:
QSilver's reset oil service interval light

EDIT: For pixels, type /pixel F3 into the bestlinks:
- What are 'all' options when your instrument cluster or MID pixels slowly die due to a press-fit pink electrical-connection tape lifting off its contacts over time (1) & how to remove the E39 instrument cluster (1) (2) & a summary of the BMW NA cluster-repair goodwill policy (1) & how to fix the MID pixels yourself (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to remove the MID (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to test the MID (1) & how to read the mileage from the key if you can't read the cluster display (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 02-23-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Your 02 e39 uses SIA III. The lights go out based on the amount of fuel that is consumed. Resetting the lights with only 2 green bars left...didn't affect the calculation of fuel consumption...so when you reached a specific amount of consumption...the SI display went to where it should be. (see the 3rd bullet underlined in orange in the SIA III info below)

As others already mentioned, if you want to change your oil at a shorter interval than the SI lights...then by all means go ahead. But resetting the lights isn't really necessary (as you see) in that the fuel calculation will continue as normal.

If you want to use the lights as well as a shorter change interval...use them as an indication of when you've reached a specific mileage that you'd like to change the oil. The fuel consumption calculation (on average) equals out to about 15K (could be more or less depending on how you drive and how much fuel you consume...but we're talking averages here)...so when 3 green bars have gone off...you're more than likely driven around 7500K. Change your oil etc and let the lights be. In the next 7.5k...the Oil Serv or INSPECTION warning light will come on...you can change the oil and reset the lights at this point.

BTW, since you're new to BMWs...remember to pay attention to age/generation/model when searching for info. The last 5 series that used NiCad batteries in the SI indicator was the probably the e28 5 series...the last model year for those was 1988.

SIA III explained below:
When I changed my oil last time I had 3 or 2 bars left. After changing the oil I did the oil service reset with INPA. I've since driven a bit over 1.5k and I still got all the bars.. So it will reset the fuel consumption calculations with INPA. Maybe the cluster reset won't do it?