Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3 Alpine White 2011 2.8
Question Should I upgrade the stock speakers with Alpines?

I read on the forum here some Alpine SPS-410 is a great speaker and changing out the speakers in 4 doors would improve sound quality (I got the standard sound package).

I called some car audio shops for installation of these speakers (got them the speakers from Internet), and one of the places said it won't make a difference and if I want better sound I should also put a better amp.

He said either keep it stock or change it all.

Is he trying to sell me stuff or give me good advice?
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Only in America

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Conv M Sport
I too have the same question. I bought the Premium Sound package which should have an amp more than big enough. There are other threads on this topic here but they are all for the previous body style. I have heard that replacing the four door mounted speakers with the Alpines brings the car closer to the Harmon Kardon sound we thought the premium system would be like. However, have you heard that the Alpine 410s actually fit in the new F25 door panels? If they do, I have heard that they will sound great with the existing amp and overall system and are the best initial mod you can do for you car if you love audio. Would love to know. If so... I plan on doing this ASAP.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3 Alpine White 2011 2.8
I talked with another car audio guy and he said Alpines require higher RMS then stock speakers therefore without upgrading the amp they won't offer much difference in sound quality.

He did recommend this subwoofer as a big improvement but I don't know how I feel about losing trunk space.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: X3
This type of response is classic salesman blather. "More RMS" seems to mean less efficient. This just means "not as loud". If volume was the only criteria, then sure, skip it, especially if this is all you are after in an upgrade. If quality of sound, ie flatness, smoothness, extension of frequency range, distortion are important, the change may still be worthwhile.

Car audio salesmen sell a lot of gear to young men looking to pound out the dBs and sound quality is secondary or irrelevant to their target market. Find a new salesman, frankly. Unless volume is actually what you are after. If so, you should have purchased the better stereo, or are willing to rip out everything and give him a lot of cash. The BMW stereos are challenging and expensive to aftermarket upgrade.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsarac View Post
I talked with another car audio guy and he said Alpines require higher RMS then stock speakers therefore without upgrading the amp they won't offer much difference in sound quality.

He did recommend this subwoofer as a big improvement but I don't know how I feel about losing trunk space.
frankly, that salesman is horse raddish
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Only in America

So... Any news if the Alpines will fit in the X25 body style door panels? I've heard the Alpines alone make a difference.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Your car Audio guy is partially right, but mostly trying to up sells. Yes having alpines will be a aural improvement over the stock, which are probably designed to be cheap paper cones. However since I don't see most will not be competing in audio competitions, thus you don't need any amp changes to get massive gains. The sub is unecessary, since your not trying to get the ghetto fab on.

My thing is if you really need audio improvements. Invest in replacing all stock speakers with bsw. If you have subs under the seats, get some stealth subs, and call it a day. The amp change is going to be difficult since, the system is not analog, or as my dd, built on the old system, where you mod the head unit, speakers and add in components based on need. This system is based on fiber optics and digital processing, so the options are limited to oem. (ie, premium sound and individual sound)

Edit: depending on availability from bsw

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Only in America

Yeah, BSW hasn't released them for the F25 yet though.