Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Gotta replace my brake pads

Should i do it at the dealership or wal mart lol

I always have negative experiences at the dealership, they are rude and liars, and they charge way too much. I know very little about cars besides how to drive them, so i cant change these by myself (if thats possible). I would like to avoid the dealership, those guys are assholes, is this a job that any old garage can do?
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i
Find a good local indy! Not sure i'd goto Walmart tho

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545
Do most users here believe in the mantra that new pads require new rotors?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 528ix
Brakes are not difficult at all. Any Indy shop should be able to get them done. Even better would be to do it yourself. Check out YouTube and you'll see tons of videos about changing brakes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
The thread below is by far the most useful and detailed brake job DIY you will find. Its for a 6er, but the procedure is nearly identical on our 5s.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=523439

Give yourself a full afternoon if you are doing all 4 corners and make sure to not cheap out on any of the tools you are using.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 AM

Well i probably wont be doing it myself that is for sure. Do the BMW brake pads require "special" equipment or experts that the independent garages wont have? My dealership always makes it seem that way..

I just want to make sure its okay to take my car to an independent place for this brake pad job and not come out with faulty pads or something. I know it depends largely on the specific place i bring it too, but im positive i can get a good one
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Any independent shop can handle brake pads.

Honestly most people could do it with just basic tools, just that a lot would rather not have to deal with it
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Any independent shop can handle brake pads.

Honestly most people could do it with just basic tools, just that a lot would rather not have to deal with it
I've done it a few times, Audi and BMW, the toughest thing is the 7mm caliper pin; no socket since the clearance is tight, I even tried grounding up a 7mm-socket drive still can't get the socket in there. So 7mm L-wrench it is, sometimes attatch to pry-bar if it won;t budge. the rest is easy just a bit dirty/dusty.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Not always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon54 View Post
Do most users here believe in the mantra that new pads require new rotors?
I was told by my indy that front rotors will probably need replacing every other time you replace front pads because they do 75% of the work. But an inspection is usually the deciding factor.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
I was told by my indy that front rotors will probably need replacing every other time you replace front pads because they do 75% of the work. But an inspection is usually the deciding factor.
+1

The pads and rotors are designed to wear simultaneously. This is part of the grabby effect that makes them so great, there is so much feel to them. So usually you replace both together, but have a good independent mechanic look at the rotors first.
If they are substantially worn you wil run the risk of warping them with new pads. The fronts do 75-80% of the braking, so pay special attention to those.

Do not go to the dealership, they will charge 2-3 times as much for same job. Buy the parts yourself at Turner Motorsports, ECS Tuning, or any of these places online. Even Tire Rack is a good source. You can also call these places and discuss your needs, and the reps will give you good advice usually.
In my "unbiased" opinion stealerships try to maximize the opportunity and are completely shameless about it. Their prices are heavily marked up and they inflate every situation and try to scare customers with bogus explanations.
They have a right to run their busines in this manner, but I think they cater to suckers who volunteer to being taken to the cleaners. Tehere is nothig special about BMW brakes except the components which are made by sub suppliers. Only difference is the logo on the box they are shipped in. BMW pads are made by Textar and Jurid. Once you have the part number you can google it and find a good dealer and price.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM

I have spoken to AAMCO and the dealership, and the price difference is almost $1000, that is insane. The guy at AAMCO said the brake pads are "aftermarket." What exactly does that mean? I didnt want to sound like an idiot over the phone so i was just said okay thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_Dan87 View Post
I have spoken to AAMCO and the dealership, and the price difference is almost $1000, that is insane. The guy at AAMCO said the brake pads are "aftermarket." What exactly does that mean? I didnt want to sound like an idiot over the phone so i was just said okay thanks.
That they aren't manufactured by BMW

But neither are the ones that BMW sells you either (although they will probably come in a box with a BMW logo on them)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Alright yall i appreciate all the responses, this forum has always been helpful for my many (sometimes dumb) questions.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-29...l-package.aspx
Here's a good source. You can either buy the full kit with rotors and pads for front and rear, or go for pads if current rotors aren't too worn.
Labor shouldn't be too bad, maybe a 2 hour job total.

This is for a 535i as you list on your profile. Not an Xi which has a different kit.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 545
Just looked over my order that I have yet to install.
Both my Front & Rear Rotors measured out of spec.

Ordered Fronts only so far. My maintenance preference is to order as high a quality parts as I want to pay for & then find an Indy that has no issue with the fact that he will be making his money on the labor.

Front Brakes E-60 545i
Pads of choice were Axxis Deluxe Advanced
Rotors: Centric Power Slot Premium High Carbon

I have been using Brake Warehouse for a # years & have been happy.

2 install steps I will look for are to make sure that the brake pistons are opened only with the bleeder valves in the open position & I will opt to do a proper Pad Bed In procedure myself.

Last edited by Damon54; 10-03-2012 at 06:55 PM.