Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 PM
BMW Student

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Wiper Blade Refill Only DIY

To add to the wealth of information already here - below is my experience / write-up on the subject.

July.2011, I purchased refills only from autohausAZ
Item #: 61618217711
Desc: Wiper Blade Refill/Insert; Left/Right; 639mm Length x 5.35mm Width; Trim to Fit Shorter Blade
Cost: $6.07 each

Turn the wipers on, and as they come to the top - turn the key off , so they are in this position:

There is a lock on each blade do one blade at a time:
Slide the lock up to remove blade assy:

The a/Z refills are both ~ 25" long You will need to trim the passenger side to the correct length. Top is the old blade assy. with the 2 new refills

To remove the rubber refills from the "blade holder" I squeezed the tangs with needle-node pliers:

Remove the steel splines from each side of the rubber refill do not bend as they need to be re-used in the new refills.

This shows the steel insert tangs flattened so the refill can slide / be removed from the blade holder:

The a/Z refills (left) had the same profile as the old one (right)

Install the steel inserts correctly - I used some tape to keep them from falling-out while sliding them back thru the blade holder

Make sure to bend the tangs outward after re-assembly, and that the rubber refills are captured properly prior to using. I used used a little WD40 on the pivot points of the wiper blade holder.

1st refill took a little while (steel inserts kept falling-out) 2nd refill went much faster.

Next time I might just replace the whole blade, and skip the steel insert hassle.

Oh yeah it rained today, and they worked great!

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k

Last edited by rexgo; 10-14-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I like this DIY and will add it to the bestlinks, especially since I did mine wrong and not only broke a part but also put the metal strips on incorrectly.
- How NOT to replace your wiper blade refills (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 10-13-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 AM
BMW Student

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Thanks bluebee - glad to contribute

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgo View Post
Thanks bluebee - glad to contribute
I added this thread to the bestlinks so that others might find it easier:
- Where to buy your next wiper blade refill (1) & how to replace the wiper blades (1)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need