Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Dad shot and killed his 15 y/o masked son

This is tragic and bizarre.

Quote:
September 27, 2012 6:14 PM

Tyler Giuliano, masked teenage intruder, unknowingly shot dead by his father in Connecticut

(CBS) NEW FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Tyler Giuliano, a 15-year-old western Connecticut high school student, was unknowingly shot dead by his father, CBS New York reports.

At 1 a.m. on Thursday, a woman believed someone was trying to break into her New Fairfield home so she called her brother, Jeffrey Giuliano, who lives next door.

Giuliano charged across the lawn with his gun and confronted the individual dressed in black and wearing a ski mask, CBS New York reported. When Giuliano noticed there was a weapon in the masked intruder's hand, he fired and the intruder fell to the ground.

It was only then that Giuliano realized it was his own son who he had just shot and killed.

According to police, Jeffrey Giuliano, a fifth grade science teacher, was distraught when police arrived at the scene.

His son was pronounced dead at the scene.

"I can't imagine what he felt when he took the mask off," New Fairfield resident Tin DiKit told CBS New York.

With the community reportedly in shock, an open house at New Fairfield High was cancelled after classmates received the news.

"When I first received the call, needless to say, I've been in office eight years and you don't hear about such things in New Fairfield,"said First Selectman John Hodge.

Quote:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...new-fairfield/

NEW FAIRFIELD, Conn. (CBSNewYork) – A New Fairfield man fatally shot a masked teenager in self-defense, only to discover the teenager was his son.

Tyler Giuliano, 15, was shot to death outside a home on Meetinghouse Hill Circle at about 1 a.m. Thursday in what appeared to be an attempted burglary. A woman in the home believed someone was trying to break in so she called her brother, Jeffrey Giuliano, who lives next door, CBS 2***8242;s Lou Young reported.

Jeffrey Giuliano charged across the lawn with his personal gun in his hand and confronted a man dressed in black and wearing a ski mask, Young reported.

WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau reports

There appeared to be a weapon in the masked intruder’s hand, Young reported. Jeffrey Giuliano fired and the intruder fell to the ground. It was then that he realized that the person he shot and killed was his own son.

“I can’t imagine what he felt when he took the mask off,” resident Tin DiKit told Young.

“On a lot of different levels this is a real tragedy,” New Fairfield First Selectman John Hodge added.

When police officers arrived at the scene, they found a distraught Jeffrey Giuliano, a fifth-grade science teacher, overwhelmed with grief, Young reported.

“I can’t imagine. I have kids of my own. It’s just I guess a double tragedy. I can’t imagine,” family friend Gregg Lopez told CBS 2***8242;s Sean Hennessey on Thursday night.

Tyler Giuliano, a 10th Grader at New Fairfield High School, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Classmates at New Fairfield High got the news late Thursday, and the school district cancelled the high school open house, scheduled for later that night. Those who knew the 15-year-old told CBS 2***8242;s Hennessey that trying to break into his aunt’s home went against his very nature.

“It was really sad in school. Everybody was talking about it,” student Bella Pepe said.

“He’s just always nice, like funny,” friend Chelsea Lopez added. “It just doesn’t make sense to me. Like I would never think he could do that. I would never picture him doing that either.”

And that’s perhaps the question police may never get an answer to: what was the 15-year-old doing at his aunt’s home and why did he lunge at his father who was carrying a gun?

The entire community appeared to be in a state of shock, CBS 2***8242;s Young reported.

“When I first received the call, needless to say, I’ve been in office eight years and you don’t hear about such things in New Fairfield,” Hodge said. “The town is a close-knit community. It’s going to take us a while to get over.”

As a father prepares to bury his son, the events were being investigated by police. No charges were immediately filed.
Looking at a video in the above link, seems that he shot him 11 times.

Last edited by MatWiz; 09-28-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
I'm at a loss for words.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
+1
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Psychology Reversalist

That kid was adopted.

What the hell was he doing trying to break into his aunt's house??? All wearing black and a ski mask? He didn't have a gun if I can read between the lines, they say "holding what looked like a gun".

It was 1am so it's not like he went there to pull a prank on his father's sister. But his friends could not believe that he would have done such a thing.

Oh boy. That poor father.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Likely as not, he has never, nor will, have an occasion to shoot an acutal intruder.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Likely as not, he has never, nor will, have an occasion to shoot an acutal intruder.
He did shoot an actual intruder. When one dons a mask and breaks into a residence, they're not there to borrow a cup of sugar. I feel bad for the father, not the son.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
what was the stupid kid doing wearing a ski-mask climbing into his aunt's house for in the middle of the night? Dumb, dumb, dumb!

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
He did shoot an actual intruder. When one dons a mask and breaks into a residence, they're not there to borrow a cup of sugar. I feel bad for the father, not the son.
Well, true, his son was behaving like an intruder. It doesn't say what the weapon he saw was, but if it was not a gun I'd say he escalated the degree of deadly force to a degree that he now regrets.

I too feel bad for the father but this story reminds me somewhat of the father who shot his son in a motel room when the son came in late quietly, probably trying to not wake his father. The notion that a gun is going to increase your safety and happiness quotient often runs afoul of reality.

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/...e_charges.html

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 09-28-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li & 650i
It doesnt matter what went down, who was where, doing what, wearing whatever, a kid is dead and the father will live in misery till his last day.
A tragedy on a monstrous level. Nobody is a winner on this one.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06 View Post
It doesnt matter what went down, who was where, doing what, wearing whatever, a kid is dead and the father will live in misery till his last day.
A tragedy on a monstrous level. Nobody is a winner on this one.
The aunt is the winner. She was saved from being the victim of a violent crime. God only knows what that violent teenage predator would have done to her.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li & 650i
Quote:
The aunt is the winner. She was saved from being the victim of a violent crime. God only knows what that violent teenage predator would have done to her.
True, but not knowing what the intent was of the kid,
Im sure the aunt feels guilty as well, thinking, if I didnt call
my brother, my nephew would still be here!

Like I said, no one is really a winner here.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche
Thank God for guns.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Ouch.. How sad.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 09-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Thank God for guns.
A baseball bat, a knife or even fists, whatever, can yield the same result. The gun just has a longer reach.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
You have no idea if the kid was intending violence of just horsing around. This is the Zimmerman thread all over
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM

Not much like Zimmerman - this was private property - this was report by a 3rd party (albeit a family member) - this was b&e in the middle of the night.

All that is "similar" is the suggestion that the dead person may have been up to no good - and YES, that *is* pure speculation.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Not nearly enough facts to draw any conclusions. It all sounds wrong and will for some time...
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Shake Hands with Beef

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i
Yeah pretty ****ed....god I love CT we went from being the wealthiest state to having one of the highest unemployment rates. And yes, that is deff situationally speaking relevant. Across the board people are acting out doing stupid **** like eating faces, shooing movie theatre patrons, and barricading themselves with hostages. Can't deny all these problems are stress induced or exacerbated from financial problems at some point in the time line.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Not nearly enough facts to draw any conclusions. It all sounds wrong and will for some time...
Yes indeed, it is all messed up, and there may be tons more that has not been reported... time will reveal more information perhaps... very sad story though - whatever the young lad was up to... I feel horrible for the father though... whether the boy was up to no good, mistaken, playing a prank - whatever - that father will never get over this... never...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Sad story as I have two teenage kids. But I'm keeping my loaded S&W .357 revolver that I keep in a biometric safe for quick access.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Noticed that the majority of the comments on the news website taking a different POV than ours, but some are valid points.

If that was not his own kid, he'd would be praised or justified for killing an intruder.

That another father would be mourning his son's death.

That he was doing us all a favor by taking this kid out before he would grow up to harm someone else in an home invasion.

Darwin wins again...

Etc..
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I've seen this thread topic here for a few days, but just could not open it.....

Uggghhh.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Guns don't kill people! Dumb ass3s with guns kill people.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 09-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
A baseball bat, a knife or even fists, whatever, can yield the same result. The gun just has a longer reach.
The advantage and disadvantage of a gun is that it is quickly lethal in almost anyone's hands. A bat, knife, or fists generally take longer to kill - in this scenario, the son would likely still be alive.

Guns have their place, but confronting an intruder outside your residence should be done carefully. If you're going to use a gun, use that longer reach to give the intruder a chance to flee before using force. I'd rather someone get away, with or without some of my stuff, than me have to put a bullet in them.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Guns have their place, but confronting an intruder outside your residence should be done carefully. If you're going to use a gun, use that longer reach to give the intruder a chance to flee before using force. I'd rather someone get away, with or without some of my stuff, than me have to put a bullet in them.
Exactly. Looking at the video and the picture in the OP article there are those police tags on the ground numbered up to "11" in what looks like the middle of a long driveway. He shot the intruder outside of the house. Not inside. Most likely 11 times.

It makes sense that this was avoidable.

Seems that karma was playing out its fate.