Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Lightbulb Best time to buy?

A close friend of mine indicated to me the best time to buy a new car or even CPO is the week after Christmas
He said they sell the most cas that week the entire year!
He said dealerships are "willing" to take losses on cars just to get them out the door before the new year as its gets down to the wire.
in order to meet an incentive to receive extra cars for the following year

Get them of the lot were his words he told his team!

for example... if a dealership reaches this amount sold in dec xxx = they will receive an extra xxx amount of cars added to there allocation for the following year

Ps my friend worked for lexus for 25 yrs as a sales manger and f&I manager

This is when im hoping to buy

ps if u are one of our astute members try not to bash me during ur response and possibly just added your opinion not personal attack

Thanks Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 10-04-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
bmw is having a CPO sales event now... I think they are offering some sort of incentive. Don't know if it applies to X5.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
bmw is having a CPO sales event now... I think they are offering some sort of incentive. Don't know if it applies to X5.
It does apply yet only up to 2009 in 5 series
Maybe 2010
Not 11's yet
Most of these 09 r going to be lease returns
Darn

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
A close friend of mine indicated to me the best time to buy a new car or even CPO is the week after Christmas
He said dealerships are "willing" to take losses on cars just to get them out the door before the new year as its gets down to the wire.

for example... if a dealership reaches this amount sold in dec xxx = they will receive an extra xxx amount of cars added to there allocation for the following year

ps if u are one of our astute members try not to bash me during ur response and possibly just added your opinion not personal attack

Thanks Rob
Picked up my 2011 X5 on Dec 23rd of last year, 63875 MSRP, purchased at 48000, new vehicle with only 215 miles, March 2011 build, last of the 2011 Diesels on the lot.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Picked up my 2011 X5 on Dec 23rd of last year, 63875 MSRP, purchased at 48000, new vehicle with only 215 miles, March 2011 build, last of the 2011 Diesels on the lot.
WTF great price!. that is how dealers should deal with 215 mi on a car, not pretend that the car is brand new, factory fresh, made 2 days ago.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks Rob
I think your sales manager is correct, but also we should consider that the best time to buy a Lexus usually is for their december to rememeber sales event. However considering that the logic is true, I would think December is on of the good times to buy a vehicle. Now what I don't know, would be whether historically, BMW always offered good deals to move their CPO stock during dec.

Also, Ive been meaning to ask, since ur interested in CPO, have you tried scouting possible lease returns with your specs. Yes, it's harder, but cheaper and you can take a BMW warranty on the vehicle similar to the CPO program?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I think your sales manager is correct, but also we should consider that the best time to buy a Lexus usually is for their december to rememeber sales event. However considering that the logic is true, I would think December is on of the good times to buy a vehicle. Now what I don't know, would be whether historically, BMW always offered good deals to move their CPO stock during dec.

Also, Ive been meaning to ask, since ur interested in CPO, have you tried scouting possible lease returns with your specs. Yes, it's harder, but cheaper and you can take a BMW warranty on the vehicle similar to the CPO program?
How do I track down those lease returns
Ask a CA?
Please help
Great advice
Rob

Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
How do I track down those lease returns
Ask a CA?
Please help
Great advice
Rob
I was hoping you wouldn't ask

The advice I stated was from none other than ARD lol

I think he would be in a better position to answer than I would lol. (you might get some flack but some really great advice)

Also I think a CA would not be your friend (prove me wrong here) if your trying to get a lease return, since it would be of benefit to get a lease return vehicle, CPO it and sell it above market value for a good profit.

Why does this matter?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
while you may get guidance on "the best time to buy" in terms of a dealers MOTIVATION, one simply MUST factor in AVAILABILITY.

If a car is a commodity and you dont care about color, features, etc, then that is one thing... but if you ALSO want a color, a specific interior or specitif packages, your life is much more complicated. You may wait and find out you need to settle...to save a few percent.

JMHO

A
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
The best time to buy a particular model is when it is ON SALE. That might be the last week of December ... Or not.

Typically dealers are willing to make the best deal right before sales support for that model and year ends. Once BMWFS ends sales support (low APR, subvented leases, OLP, option credits, etc.) its harder for them to find a buyer. Of course, that means buying a prior model year off the lot, and it may not have the colors and options you want.

Example: in September of 2011 there were some KILLER deals on leftover 5 GT launch cars. The two I looked at both had HUD but no NAV. Easy to see why they sat on the lot forever.

Sometimes BMWUSA is neck and neck with Audi and Mercedes, trying to be the #1 seller of German luxury cars. In those years (and 2012 may or may not be one of them), BMW corporate heavily subsidizes sales to SIB the sales crown.

One thing I've learned after 8 BMW's. There is ALWAYS some model on sale.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
I'm not so sure about dealers selling at a loss but there certainly was a lot of press last year about the Mercedes vs. BMW sales competion going into year end. Whether BMW was offering additional incentives to the dealers to make sales during that last week, I don't know.

One such article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry...r-luxury-cars/

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
The best time to buy a particular model is when it is ON SALE. That might be the last week of December ... Or not.

Typically dealers are willing to make the best deal right before sales support for that model and year ends. Once BMWFS ends sales support (low APR, subvented leases, OLP, option credits, etc.) its harder for them to find a buyer. Of course, that means buying a prior model year off the lot, and it may not have the colors and options you want.

Example: in September of 2011 there were some KILLER deals on leftover 5 GT launch cars. The two I looked at both had HUD but no NAV. Easy to see why they sat on the lot forever.

Sometimes BMWUSA is neck and neck with Audi and Mercedes, trying to be the #1 seller of German luxury cars. In those years (and 2012 may or may not be one of them), BMW corporate heavily subsidizes sales to SIB the sales crown.

One thing I've learned after 8 BMW's. There is ALWAYS some model on sale.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
u r right on Quack
i agree totally!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
while you may get guidance on "the best time to buy" in terms of a dealers MOTIVATION, one simply MUST factor in AVAILABILITY.

If a car is a commodity and you dont care about color, features, etc, then that is one thing... but if you ALSO want a color, a specific interior or specitif packages, your life is much more complicated. You may wait and find out you need to settle...to save a few percent.

JMHO

A
Brother "ARD"
Any guidance with these suggestion of looking for a lease return
As "NOi4plz" suggested

Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
I would think when 2013 are out and there is some 2012 left on the lot.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka858 View Post
I would think when 2013 are out and there is some 2012 left on the lot.
There is some negotiating headroom on that. However 5, has a very specific mix of options that's unlikely to be found on any ordered vehicle likely left on the lot. I was gonna suggest, if you could wait, you probably get some killer deals on the very last production e70s, then I realized your specific options set would probably make that a no go.

Why does this matter?