Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post

Oh, that's right, it's down the street at the Cadillac dealer. It's called the CTS-V."

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/m5/201...and-video.html
I'd like to compare the sales of the M5 versus the CTS-V.

Problem is that the "purists" think they want manual transmission, light weight, tossability, etc. - except nobody is buying those cars anymore.

Someone with $100K+ to spend wants prestige plus 24 way power adjustable, heated, cooled, napa upholstered, massaging, comfort seats and every electronic gizmo possible.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post

Problem is that the "purists" think they want manual transmission, light weight, tossability, etc. - except nobody is buying those cars anymore.

Someone with $100K+ to spend wants prestige plus 24 way power adjustable, heated, cooled, napa upholstered, massaging, comfort seats and every electronic gizmo possible.
the M5 was always more expensive than the competition, and always had all the bells and whistles, but it also ALWAYS crushed it's competitors in driving performance and "soul".

and now?

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
the M5 was always more expensive than the competition, and always had all the bells and whistles, but it also ALWAYS crushed it's competitors in driving performance and "soul".

and now?
Well if you believe Car & Driver the M5 is also ranked below the MB E63 and Audi S6.

I bet it will outsell those cars too.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Of course, you identify an essential truth - but the world is changing and I am trying to accommodate myself to this changing reality.

BTW I regard my M3 as perfect in terms of my needs and desires. I am certain the new M3 will be a more capable sports sedan but I am not certain if it will speak to my heart. I find the idea of keeping my e92 M3 for a long time increasingly very appealing. It's hard to top perfect.
Quote:
i'm in the same boat. i don't think there can be a better car made than the m3 (and btw, many many many reviews will say the same thing). it feels like a bespoke suit
M3 guys, please don't count me among the purists (IMHO AWD rules! ), but in your first-hand opinions is the E92 that last true ///M car (NA engine, RWD, lots of NVH)? The new M5 seems to have lost more than it's fair share of comparos, hopefully the new M3 won't share the same fate, but I don't see the F30 M3 diverging from the the path the F10 M5 took.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post

Really? The awesome $186k GT3 RS4.0 was sold out in 14 days. It was low production but it shows that there is a market for purist cars if they build them.

And frankly I don't care one bit for the volume argument. If volume was everything everyone would be building Corollas and Civics and nothing else. Enthusiasts cars are important if you want to be an enthusiast brand and M cars differentiate themselves by being enthusiasts cars that works everyday not by being luxo power cruisers. That's likely why there has never been an M7. I think Alpina has that market covered.

Last edited by solstice; 10-04-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
dunderhi, to me awd is like FI, not optimal but not reason for disqualification either. There are some pretty bad-@ss hardcore rallye cars that I wouldn't call soft, isolated or cruisers with both awd and FI.

Last edited by solstice; 10-04-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: Accord/Tundra/Soon BMW
Quote:
some part of me believes that they won't mess up the new m3, especially because they are trying to bring down weight to e46 standards (think its like -300 pounds on base model?) but who knows. one thing is for sure, the sound and feel of that bespoke engine is gone forever.

and that is very very sad
Quote:
i'm in the same boat. i don't think there can be a better car made than the m3 (and btw, many many many reviews will say the same thing). it feels like a bespoke suit
That's it. You use the word "bespoke" one more time, and you're out of the club.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi;7114089)
,... but in your first-hand opinions is the E92 that last true ///M car (NA engine, RWD, lots of NVH)? The new M5 seems to have lost more than it's fair share of comparos, hopefully the new M3 won't share the same fate, but I don't see the F30 M3 diverging from the the path the F10 M5 took.
Very difficult question - really depends how you define M. Is M defined by mechanical components or by some other measure? For me - I adore my M - because of the sense of "connectivity" that my M engenders - I feel hard wired into the car. I suspect the new M4 will offer superior performance, but will BMW be sufficiently artful in employing new technology to achieve that perfect "M" note?

Last edited by Capobranco; 10-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Despite its less power, Panamera GTS is much more exciting to drive than M5. Their sport-design steering is actually better than truck-size Msport steering on M5.

They should put M6 steering on M5. When they put Msport steering on M5, M5 does not feel special anymore.

Regarding the comments on M3, Luxury is never M cars' strong appeal. It's always its driving EXCITEMENT which sets it apart.

Driving excitement is not equal to fastest/quickest though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
You are right on the mark.

What makes the M5 special is that it's a car that you are excited to drive on the streets. It's power and handling are perfectly honed for the Alpine roads, the mountains and hills, the city streets and the highways.

Is it the ultimate track car? No it isn't. The Ariel Atom is far better.

However this review is effectively judging the M5 by the wrong standards. It's like saying the Porsche 911 GT3 is rubbish because the Ariel Atom gives you more feel, more excitement, more connection to the road. But try driving an Ariel Atom to the office in the rain!

The M5 to me - is the best possible saloon car I would want to drive on public roads. And nothing comes close. You give me an example and I will tell you why it isn't as good.

Panamera - too quiet, lacks excitement, instrumentation is not good enough for driving at the limit (e.g. no shift indicators in HUD), steering wheel is too thin and not conducive to control.

CLS63 AMG - balance is not quite perfect. Doesn't corner as well. Also doesn't have good instrumentation. Transmission is too slow.

M3 - not particularly luxurious, jumpy over expansion joints, not fast enough.

E63 AMG - Ugly, and same issues as CLS63 AMG

S6 - AWD unable to deliver the same driving excitement. Where's the power sliding?

Cadillac CTS-V - haven't driven it and I have no intention of doing so. Its a smaller car and it looks like ****.

So having ruled out the sedan competition, you are left with sports cars. Well that's comparing apples and oranges isn't it?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It's disappointing to say the least. When they now made every normal 5-series into a luxury power cruiser with no available factory options to really tighten it up you would hope that the M5 would be built for the purists but no, doesn't seem like that is the case. Just more of the same it seems.
solstice, test drive the M5 and let us have your views

ps review by one who had the E60 M5; modded even http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...662&highlight=

pps for the F80 M3

"HORSEPOWER / TORQUE

Regarding power output, the previously estimated 450HP figure is an overestimate. Instead, expect the horsepower output to be in ballpark of the current E90/E92 M3.

What will be increased greatly however, is the torque figure. The F80/F82's multi turbo inline 6 cylinder engine [recently exposed] will add approximately 100 lb-ft more torque over the current M3 (which outputs 295 lb-ft torque). This would put the new M3/M4 in the range of 395 lb-ft torque. There's nothing like forced induction for thrust!

WEIGHT

We were also glad to learn that all this extra torque will not go to waste. We've been reporting that the F80 M3 / F82 M4 will be lighter than the current M3, but how much lighter is what we all want to know. The great news is that the M engineers have targeted the E46 M3 weight in developing the F80/F82.

The E46 M3's curb weight is 3,415 lb, while the current E90 M3 and E92 M3 weigh 3,726 and 3,704 pounds, respectively. This would represent an approximate 300 pound weight reduction; great news for BMW enthusiasts who bemoan the increasing weight of cars in general. The caveat to keep in mind however, is that curb weight is calculated based on the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, and with the ever growing list of standard equipment and technology in late model cars, don't be surprised or disappointed if you don't see exactly 300 pounds shaved. What's important is that the E46 M3 weight is being used as a target, which in any scenario, should result in significant weight reduction for the new M3 and M4."

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753936

Last edited by bm323; 10-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I don't like that review.
It contradict itself throughout the whole article.
I'm going to go with Top gear's review instead.
"It's the best car in the world" (Richard Hammond)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:

and now?
Heck it still crushes the opponent like flies.

There isn't a single sedan out there that is faster in a straight line or around a track.

Not in the same price range there isn't.

Before anyone say anything about the Panamera, the GTS is way slower, and the Turbo S cost two times as much as M5. So that's that.

As for "soul" and "driving excitement"?
I'm sorry but BMW's M stands for Motorsports.
As long as M5 still crushes most other cars on a track, that's all I care.

Last edited by smashhell; 10-04-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm not surprised though. Disappointed yes but not surprised, it is pretty much what I expected. Something is not right in Munich these days.
highyo, I think you'll be very happy with your timing to get into a real M car. I'm not optimistic about the upcoming M3. We'll see though, it could be that messing with the M3s virtues is something too sacred even in the name of higher predicted sales and profit for an isolated techno softy.
There is leaked info posted on the other forum:
  • Lighter than current M3 - targeting E46 M3 weight (roughly 300 lbs lighter?)
    --> This is nice although I am not entirely convinced how BMW will achieve this without using exotic materials given that the base F30 weighs about same as the base E90.
  • More powerful than current M3 - approximately same HP, but around 100 lb-ft more torque (in range of 395 lb-ft)
    --> This is good news (though I am not sure if I would like FI in an M)
  • Faster than current M3
    --> With the additional 100 lb-ft of torque and 300 lb lighter chasis, it'd better be faster.