Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Camaro, soon to have BMW
f12 style bumper on the way!!!

My M6 style bumper just came in today from Sarona! I quick note about Sarona, their customer service was easy to contact, very helpful , very professional, and did their best to address all of my concerns before i made my purchase.

The bumper came Via a local freight company in a HUGE sturdy box, Well packed and un damaged.

The bumper came ready for paint, i'm a little scared that it's made of fiberglass, or FRP as they call it. I really hope i don't have durability issues with it.

Here it is getting dropped off for paint! I'm hoping for a no drama install, i'm going to take a crack at it tomorrow.

Advertisement
Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
It looks great, but did you do a test fit first? Testing should be done before any painting, in case of any modifications needed. Better safe, than sorry
Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 PM

didn't bother to test fit, straight from the box to paint. I don't really have time to take my car apart twice, or leave it with the bumper off. I wish i could, but i'm pretty much rolling with my fingers crossed.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 AM

Got it back from paint and spent a long night trying to get this thing installed. I'm sad to say that getting the OEM bumper off was the easiest thing i did all night, it took me no more than 10 min once i had the front jacked up. I had no idea ho difficult it would be to trim the metal bumper, it took me 4 cutting wheels, a saws all , and a hack saw, and i almost killed my grinder!. The holes fro the parking sensors were a tad too small but it took only a few seconds on each hole with a dremmel to make them the perfect size. Removing the mounts from the old bumpers a pain in the @$$. Just buy new ones, If i had known, i would have just gotten new ones and put them in before i took everything apart. The headlight sprayers had no chance of fitting, the hole it comes with is not even close to the size or shape, plus there is a mount inside the OEM bumper for the actual nozzle, theres no way to really transfer that to the new bumper because it's integrated into the fog light bracket and other stuff.

I can't comment on the fit of the bumper quite yet, I think it's getting hung up on the bottom of the headlights, right now the corners won't match up to the fenders, the gap is a mile wide, so i have to continue working with it. I hope i can get it to fit. I don't really have time to drop my car at a shop. Otherwise, all the contours from the hood and headlight match up perfectly.

The OEM grilles also barely fit, however, the thick slats version fit right in. Unfortunatley, the e bay seller sent me 2 right side grilles. So much frustration.

I also added some LED Fog lights. I hope i can get some OEM ones later, but for now i have these. Anyone know what resistor i can add to stop my light bulb error?

Last edited by BMW_Stu; 11-21-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Hmm.... sorry to hear about your problems.

Here is a post I made earlier about resistors.

Good luck.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Stu View Post
Got it back from paint and spent a long night trying to get this thing installed. I'm sad to say that getting the OEM bumper off was the easiest thing i did all night, it took me no more than 10 min once i had the front jacked up. I had no idea ho difficult it would be to trim the metal bumper, it took me 4 cutting wheels, a saws all , and a hack saw, and i almost killed my grinder!. The holes fro the parking sensors were a tad too small but it took only a few seconds on each hole with a dremmel to make them the perfect size. Removing the mounts from the old bumpers a pain in the @$$. Just buy new ones, If i had known, i would have just gotten new ones and put them in before i took everything apart. The headlight sprayers had no chance of fitting, the hole it comes with is not even close to the size or shape, plus there is a mount inside the OEM bumper for the actual nozzle, theres no way to really transfer that to the new bumper because it's integrated into the fog light bracket and other stuff.

I can't comment on the fit of the bumper quite yet, I think it's getting hung up on the bottom of the headlights, right now the corners won't match up to the fenders, the gap is a mile wide, so i have to continue working with it. I hope i can get it to fit. I don't really have time to drop my car at a shop. Otherwise, all the contours from the hood and headlight match up perfectly.

The OEM grilles also barely fit, however, the thick slats version fit right in. Unfortunatley, the e bay seller sent me 2 right side grilles. So much frustration.

I also added some LED Fog lights. I hope i can get some OEM ones later, but for now i have these. Anyone know what resistor i can add to stop my light bulb error?
Wow. What a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing your results. I was considering one of their front bumpers, but I guess that's off the table for now.

Keep us posted and good luck.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 05 645ci
Quote:

The bumper will fit proper;y but really requires professional installation. If your trying to DIY give Sarona (Sal) a call and ask for advice it may make your life a little easier.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Fitting a new aftermarket bumper can be very challenging. I spent way to many hours trimming the one on my 82 Vette. The heat from the paint room can also distort the shape, after painting.

Good Luck!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Wow. What a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing your results. I was considering one of their front bumpers, but I guess that's off the table for now.

Keep us posted and good luck.
I'm not calling it a loss yet, i'm about 50/50 on the regret scale, i just hate when i try to research something before hand and then there's a whole pandora's box i have to discover on my on once im balls deep... it's the nature of modding.

Here's a pic of it currently, i drove it to work today, you can't see the gaps

Thx for your links Yorgi!

Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
It looks great in the picture, but as you say it isn't showing the gaps. I know that an aftermarket bumper, especially one that is so different than OEM, might require some adjustment to the underneath supports and bumper. But gaps at the lights or elsewhere doesn't seem to be right?

Once you removed the obstructions it should go on and match up to properly!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM

yeah, like i said, it's actually caught on the bottom of the headlights. When i bought the car, my headlight gaps were a little funky, just a little bit, so hopefully i can get all sorted out.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Bmw 745I Black -sold
Looks like fibreglass to me.. i could be wrong but its deff worth the update to the front of the 6
Old 11-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 645
Any words of wisdom on the Sarona bumper.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 645
I'm waiting for them to send me a replacement bumper. First one came in damaged.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645i
That looks good. Hope you sort out the fitment issues.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven40Five View Post
Looks like fibreglass to me.. i could be wrong but its deff worth the update to the front of the 6
It's FRP Fiber Reinforced Plastic. According to all the sites that sell FRP products, FRP is stronger and more flexible than fiberglass. According to any other websites, when you search to see what the heck FRP actually is, they say it's just a generic name for fiberglass, so i really don't know what to day about the material.

From my handling and manipulation, it's a pretty solid piece. I don't forsee any long time durability issues from regular daily activities. If i have an accident, ofcourse i will expect it to be damaged. My car is not lowered, so as long as i drive like i do care about my car, i'm not worried about it smacking the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regmatc View Post
Any words of wisdom on the Sarona bumper.
The reason i'm posting this... To help enlighten anyone thinking of purchasing this product. Not to bash the company or the product or to be negative. I just want to get the info out there for anyone else doing research prior to purchasing this.

Today i'm going to go back and adjust fitment and possibly even re do my headlight sprayers. I really don't even know where to start with those. I think the would have been better just selling the bumper without sprayer holes. That's my biggest criticism of this product.

My regret meter is going back down. Hopefully once i start working on it again, i can finish up without major issues. Part of my problem last time was that i got really sick mid install, that just made everything worse and i rushed through finishing up so that i could go to bed.

Last edited by BMW_Stu; 11-23-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It's FRP Fiber Reinforced Plastic. According to all the sites that sell FRP products, FRP is stronger and more flexible than fiberglass. According to any other websites, when you search to see what the heck FRP actually is, they say it's just a generic name for fiberglass, so i really don't know what to day about the material.

From my handling and manipulation, it's a pretty solid piece. I don't forsee any long time durability issues from regular daily activities. If i have an accident, ofcourse i will expect it to be damaged. My car is not lowered, so as long as i drive like i do care about my car, i'm not worried about it smacking the ground.

The reason i'm posting this... To help enlighten anyone thinking of purchasing this product. Not to bash the company or the product or to be negative. I just want to get the info out there for anyone else doing research prior to purchasing this.

Today i'm going to go back and adjust fitment and possibly even re do my headlight sprayers. I really don't even know where to start with those. I think the would have been better just selling the bumper without sprayer holes. That's my biggest criticism of this product.

My regret meter is going back down. Hopefully once i start working on it again, i can finish up without major issues. Part of my problem last time was that i got really sick mid install, that just made everything worse and i rushed through finishing up so that i could go to bed.
You sound optimistic so I hope it all goes smoothly. Once you have it sorted let us know how it went.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 650I cabrio
To the OP. I had the same bumper and ended up sending it back for fitment issues. Lost quite a bit of money on the return. Their claim of "oh just have the body shop call me and I will walk them through it" never quite happened. The Sarona dude ended up telling my body shop that they didn't know what they were doing. The problem with "making" it fit by stretching and forcing is that I live in Florida where the sun can get pretty hot. As my body man said to me "what do you think this fiberglass is going to do when it gets heated in the sun and we stretched it into the gaps?" I opted to go with a used OEM which was sad as I really loved the styling of the one you have.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 PM

That idea flashed through my mind, but it wouldn't be worth it trying to send it back "Just send it to a body shop" is language for someone who dosen't care about $$$. in my e46 days, i had a buddy with an AMAZING car, a body shop re built his entire front end to fit a replica m3 bumper.

I also know what you mean about the stretching and bending, my bumper is under a pretty good amount of tension right now, but it's pretty solid, i don't expect it to just break on it's own. Hopefully it heats up and conforms to it's current situation.

SO IT"S DONE... well mostly done, First off, i want to take back what i said about the sprayed holes. Just a couple of light touches from my dremmel, and the sprayers fit snugly into place, i used a glob quick setting JB weld to hold them in place. Easy right? NO! The bottom of the sprayer nozzle hit the metal bumper when i mounted everything up. If i had trimmed 1 more inch off the sides of the metal bumper it would have fit, but that's not how the website shows that it needs to be cut.... F#ck it. I popped them back out, i'll glue the little covers back over the holes and revisit it if i ever have to take it apart again.

I got the sides to line up with a lot of pushing and pulling, i ended up securing one side down and then pushing the other into place and then tighten the corner screw in. It took 2 people to do.

The only other issue at this point is the hood overlaps just the tiniest bit and it's a little difficult to get the latches to grab. I think i can adjust that later right from the top screws.

The OEM Grilles still barely fit, but once my blackout style ones come, they should be a much better fit, and if there are any issues, i'll do some trimming to make them fit.

Normally, once i complete a difficult mod i can nomally say if i had to go back, i'd do it again, but for this one, if i had to do it over, i would have just gotten a non fiberglass M6 bumper. I'll put up much better pix when my grilles come in.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
Looks good. Im considering it myself but ill let them install it.

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 645i
Car looks great, congratulations for all the hard work!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
f12 style bumper on the way!!!

When I saw the pictures of the bumper off the car, I thought to myself "oh my!" Now that's it's on the car, it looks really sharp, and really stands out in this color.
Kudos on persevering through the install.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 PM

I think the bumper looks great on the car! It is ashamed that Maryland makes you put their tag on the front of it. The LED fog lights really sets the front of the car off, looking like a new model. If you can give feedback to the company that made the mold, tell them what you think needs to be corrected. This would help their sales, & other future buyers!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 AM

I'll contact them in hopes that it will make life easier for someone in the future, and yeah, the front plate thing sucks bad. I may change the mounting position and have it laying down more on the bottom of the lower grille. I've also seen static a mount that comes out from underneath. I like the one that you can flip down on the bottom, but i have a buddy who said his came apart at high speed, I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I'll contact them in hopes that it will make life easier for someone in the future, and yeah, the front plate thing sucks bad. I may change the mounting position and have it laying down more on the bottom of the lower grille. I've also seen static a mount that comes out from underneath. I like the one that you can flip down on the bottom, but i have a buddy who said his came apart at high speed, I wouldn't want to deal with that.
Contacting them is a good idea. I was seriously considering it but now I'm not sure if I want to move forward.

Zerocks1 on the M5 board did the motorized thing. Have a look.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...mes-bond.html/