Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:12 AM

Mein Auto: F13 650i
Time for a trade?

I'm looking at stepping across the divide to a 2012 650i this morning. I'm really on the fence regarding reliability. Does anyone know if the 2012s were especially problematic? Sometimes the first year or 2 of any model has more than a fair share of issues

BTW, I asked this in the F12/13 forum and no one answered, yet.

(Cold Weather/Nappa/Premium Sound)
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyQ View Post
I'm looking at stepping across the divide to a 2012 650i this morning. I'm really on the fence regarding reliability. Does anyone know if the 2012s were especially problematic? Sometimes the first year or 2 of any model has more than a fair share of issues

BTW, I asked this in the F12/13 forum and no one answered, yet.
In general, the new F12/13 are not getting great reviews from former E63/64 owners.
This thread is just one example but I have seen others.:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=811765

Do your research first.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 12-03-2014, 07:53 AM

I must admit - staring down the expiration of the CPO warranty and knowing I have a valve stem replacement and a host of oil leak repairs on the horizon, I worry this car will go from few very few complaints to a money pit in the coming years.

Is it worth the $$'s for an extended warranty?? Anyone have good experiences with a particular warranty co? Rough costs to add coverage for the next 2 years?

But to your point, the new edition might need a few more years under its belt before it's thoroughly de-kinked. Read the other forum earlier and there is a near-guaranteed Drive Train Malfunction warning on the new 6... albeit typically whilst under warranty... a loose drivers seat... and a bunch of other annoyances.

I saw it this morning and BMW and I differ on the true definition of the color "silver". It was hands-down "creme soda" colored. I passed. It was $52,5K@ 28k miles... Plenty of extras too... and cream colored (not for me).

Old 12-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Between bath on trade in, cost of new car, tax, higher registration- won't it cost you 25-30 grand to get the newer car? And then in three years that car will have depreciated 30 grand and have its own set of potential issues.
That buys a lot of valve stem seals and gaskets...

If you want a newer car then it's a totally different story, but spending $25-30k up front because of concern over the $5-6k in potential repairs seems like bad decision from pure numbers perspective.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 e63
I'm also toying with the idea of a 2012 BMW 650 6MT myself, but like you said, reading horror stories on their reliability is getting me paranoid about those cars. Even with warranty, I don't know if I want to deal with the headaches.

I'm mainly concerned about the N63 motor, which has been out for quite some time before the F12 was released. I have been doing tons of reading on the F-series 650, 550 and 750 and the amount of drivetrain malfunctions and turbo replacements on relatively new, low mileage cars is concerning. I can't imagine what problems they will have when going up to 60k miles and over.

My buddy's F01 had his turbos replaced just recently with around 20k miles. It was replaced under warranty but the cost was some ridiculous amount.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:19 AM

Well, the trade $'s on the 2009 with 61k miles was better than I expected (per AutoTrader's instant buy offer). The dealer said their $$ trade should be pretty close to that. The trade, less the payoff gives me roughly a $10k positive cash position. To that end, as long as I keep the price @ or under $50k I should be able to keep my payment roughly the same too. But from what I have read in several places, the new 6 is still working out its kinks.

Maybe a Tesla... (damn this new-car-fever )

Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euhysh View Post
... I have been doing tons of reading on the F-series 650, 550 and 750 and the amount of drivetrain malfunctions and turbo replacements on relatively new, low mileage cars is concerning. I can't imagine what problems they will have when going up to 60k miles and over.

My buddy's F01 had his turbos replaced just recently with around 20k miles. It was replaced under warranty but the cost was some ridiculous amount.
The turbo fix was why I cut my 335i loose. The SA told me to prepare for that to hit after 50K...

The Bimmerfest F12 forum has a "high mileage" thread that almost universally mentions the DTM warning and the replacement of fuel injectors, spark plugs, etc...

Old 12-03-2014, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 650 Sold - '12 Jaguar XK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Between bath on trade in, cost of new car, tax, higher registration- won't it cost you 25-30 grand to get the newer car? And then in three years that car will have depreciated 30 grand and have its own set of potential issues.
That buys a lot of valve stem seals and gaskets...

If you want a newer car then it's a totally different story, but spending $25-30k up front because of concern over the $5-6k in potential repairs seems like bad decision from pure numbers perspective.
+1, the cost of moving to the newer car would not offset the cost of just keeping the car you have and repairing. But that is the case any time you are upgrading a vehicle!!!

Keep in mind that 2012's are now starting to fall into the $40's if he searches well. So the depreciation curve will slow, if he keeps it for 3 years more likely to see $15k in depreciation (from experience with the E63/E64).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyQ View Post
I must admit - staring down the expiration of the CPO warranty and knowing I have a valve stem replacement and a host of oil leak repairs on the horizon, I worry this car will go from few very few complaints to a money pit in the coming years.

Is it worth the $$'s for an extended warranty?? Anyone have good experiences with a particular warranty co? Rough costs to add coverage for the next 2 years?

But to your point, the new edition might need a few more years under its belt before it's thoroughly de-kinked. Read the other forum earlier and there is a near-guaranteed Drive Train Malfunction warning on the new 6... albeit typically whilst under warranty... a loose drivers seat... and a bunch of other annoyances.

I saw it this morning and BMW and I differ on the true definition of the color "silver". It was hands-down "creme soda" colored. I passed. It was $52,5K@ 28k miles... Plenty of extras too... and cream colored (not for me).
I hear you, there are plenty of stories to give you pause. There are also plenty of happy owners. Just remember that the internet is the catch-all of complaints. People jump on the internet when the are pissed about problems, they stumble on to a user board, and then vent away. A lot less people come home and are so happy they will search and join a board to express their love. All of us nerdy diehards are the few...none of my friends who have nice Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, etc. participate in their respective forum.

I believe the drive drain issue was for the X-Drive version? In reading the other sub-forum I have noted the injector issues also because of carbon buildup, it seems the direct injection is not fully ironed out. That is an issue shared by other car manufacturers, I noted that Audi had significant carbon buildup issues on their direct injected cars.

To answer your warranty question, a decent 3 year warranty plan would run you from $2,000 to $3,000, depends on your mileage and age of car, term of insurance. Don't forget to watch the exclusion list if you go that route.

Last edited by tampamark; 12-03-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 AM

All - Thanks for the input.

If anyone in Atlanta knows a straight talking / trustworthy salesperson close by (preferably United/Roswell), please let me know.

My salesperson of 10 years finally moved on to another career so I have to find a person who will work with me like he did.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 05 645ci
I'm thinking of either a

1. F10 535 sport package
2. F10 550 sport package
3. e92 M3

Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 650 Sold - '12 Jaguar XK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscore View Post
I'm thinking of either a

1. F10 535 sport package
2. F10 550 sport package
3. e92 M3
A buddy of mine just traded his 2008 550 for a 2013 535. Loves the car, loves the better gas mileage, but misses the smooth power of the V8. But the new technology and new styled interior is beautiful.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: BMW E63 650i
Quote:
I'm thinking of either a

1. F10 535 sport package

2. F10 550 sport package

3. e92 M3

E92 M3. No need to worry about carbon buildup since it uses multi-port fuel injection and no need to worry about turbo replacements.

From my friend's experience with his E93 M3 DCT, it is a reliable car.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
I'm thinking of either a

1. F10 535 sport package
2. F10 550 sport package
3. e92 M3
I have a 2014 F10 528i MSport. It's my wife's DD and she piles on the miles so I went with the small engine. It's my 3rd F10 ('11, '12, and '14). It's not a 6er but it is amazing to drive.

Smooth as glass, comfortable and quiet. Fast as hell even with the smaller 5281i. In ECO mode on the highway I've gotten 37MPG.

Love the new iDrive "draw on the knob" feature.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search