Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435i
anyone use priceline?

I read a thread here where someone stated they used priceline and paid 65 to 85 a night for the munich Marriott. Looking at prices now, the Marriott is 233 a night when I'm there in april. This is a huge difference, so I think I'll give it a shot. The zone which the Marriott is in has only one other 4 star hotel, I'm fine with either one. Anyone use priceline often? I never have, wondering what kind of bid I should start with. Is 85 a night when it's normally 233 a night realistic when using priceline?

2015 435i Coupe | M Sport | Estoril Blue | ED - April 16, 2015
2006 325i Sedan | Jet Black (Sold)
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2015, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 128i Xdrive
Priceline used to be a great website but alas, they became too big. I rarely find any type of savings on bidding for rooms these days. Shatner and Kaley Cuoco ruined it. The big chains no longer have The following websites will help you with guidelines and suggestions for making a bid. But the community that once existed there is long gone as are the true deals: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/109/Germany

If you want to actually experience Europe, instead of staying in American chain hotels try Booking.com. Like Priceline they too are getting a bit too popular, but you can still find some very nice deals on local Gasthofs, Pensions, B&Bs and hotels. If you sort them by ratings you can come up with some pretty unique and lovely accommodations. My wife and I are heading over to Bavaria this coming Friday and have booked a number of castles, an abbey and a farm all under $100 per night. Then again. we prefer to stay in villages outside the big cosmopolitan centers.

This website has some really unique and cheap small hotels that have also served us very well in the past: http://www.bensbauernhof.com/accommodations.html
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue)
Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank325 View Post
I read a thread here where someone stated they used priceline and paid 65 to 85 a night for the munich Marriott. Looking at prices now, the Marriott is 233 a night when I'm there in april. This is a huge difference, so I think I'll give it a shot. The zone which the Marriott is in has only one other 4 star hotel, I'm fine with either one. Anyone use priceline often? I never have, wondering what kind of bid I should start with. Is 85 a night when it's normally 233 a night realistic when using priceline?
I used Priceline for both my 2011 and 2014 ED's. Both times just the night before going to the Welt. I just looked on their site and see that they have greatly expanded the bidding regions to 22. I think there were only 5-6 areas to bid on last year.

Personally, I like to stay near the Hauptbahnhof as it is convenient to transportation, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, and trollies. There's parking, but probably at a cost. I bid a 4* hoping to get the Maritim that we got last time, but ended up with the Regent Hotel for $70. With fees and taxes, cost us $83.41. It was nothing fancy, but it was clean and convenient -- just down the street from the Augustiner Keller.

If you are an experienced Priceline bidder, you can get a good deal.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
Priceline used to be a great website but alas, they became too big. I rarely find any type of savings on bidding for rooms these days. Shatner and Kaley Cuoco ruined it. The big chains no longer have The following websites will help you with guidelines and suggestions for making a bid. But the community that once existed there is long gone as are the true deals: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/109/Germany

If you want to actually experience Europe, instead of staying in American chain hotels try Booking.com. Like Priceline they too are getting a bit too popular, but you can still find some very nice deals on local Gasthofs, Pensions, B&Bs and hotels. If you sort them by ratings you can come up with some pretty unique and lovely accommodations. My wife and I are heading over to Bavaria this coming Friday and have booked a number of castles, an abbey and a farm all under $100 per night. Then again. we prefer to stay in villages outside the big cosmopolitan centers.

This website has some really unique and cheap small hotels that have also served us very well in the past: http://www.bensbauernhof.com/accommodations.html
Wasn't he there at the founding.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 128i Xdrive
You're right. I meant the two together constantly on the tube signaled the growing success of the brand. Just like Apple having better products when they were still young and struggling.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue)
Old 02-07-2015, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: e46 330CI
I have to recommend my friend's company, vamo. They can help you find flights and hotels using your date and city as input. When I first use it, it looks great for festers who are planning for ED. Give it a shot.

Vamo.com

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 AM

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
Quote:

Yes, I was one of those who grabbed a stay at the Munich Marriott in the 65 to 85 range some years ago. I tried to duplicate the bids for an upcoming ED next month and got all the way to $130 with no bite. Of course even in the past you could have a problem if you were bidding for a night that was during a major convention.

Ended up booking at a different hotel after comparing websites but at least I knew which hotel I was getting instead of the unknown factor when bidding.

Also agree with regard to booking.com for European hotels. It is always a good idea to check TripAdvisor as well for hotel values and guest commentary when looking for places off the beaten track. I actually had Vamo on my list of websites to head to but ended up finding what I was looking for before I tried it out.

Last edited by Northcar; 02-08-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post

+1, My wife and I and another couple are spending the entire month of April in France, Belgium and Germany. We booked all of our rooms on booking.com. We are staying most of the time in small, family owned facilities(4-10 rooms) or traditional B&Bs. Almost all include breakfast, free WIFI and parking. We are paying between $75 and $100 most nights. Maybe less if the $ continues to climb against the Euro.
2016 Corvette Stingray (delivery on 7/27)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige( SOLD )https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/54366
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
1985 M635 Euro (Ret)
Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 AM

I ended up booking the laimer hof for our initial stay in munich.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Quote:
I ended up booking the laimer hof for our initial stay in munich.
Well, one good thing, you are right next to the Hirschgarten - Europe's biggest beer garden in Munich. We met Boothguy and his lovely wife there for dinner and beer when we both did our 2011 ED the following morning.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-O View Post
Well, one good thing, you are right next to the Hirschgarten - Europe's biggest beer garden in Munich. We met Boothguy and his lovely wife there for dinner and beer when we both did our 2011 ED the following morning.
Location location location

Old 02-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
This is a German site that I used on my ED ... I was deliberately trying to avoid big chain hotels, and was very pleased with the accomodations I booked. As a bonus, I got to meet some very nice, helpful owners that added to my experience greatly.

http://www.hrs.de/web3/

You can click the US - English option to ease things

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
Also agree with regard to booking.com for European hotels. It is always a good idea to check TripAdvisor as well for hotel values and guest commentary when looking for places off the beaten track.
We start with TripAdvisor which will take you to the booking sites. I also find the community reviews of places to go, stay and eat very useful. The people have no reason to be other than honest with their opinions.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: Audi Q5
Has anyone used Tingo before? Once you book a refundable room, they will track the price for you and automatically rebook for you if the price goes down. My ED is planned for September and this seems like a good way of getting the best deal.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535x GT
Not far from train station and within walking distance of the Marienplatz is the Hotel Exquisit. My sister is avid trip advisor fan and found this friendly gem on it several years ago. I stayed there prior to my ED in 2012. Will probably repeat this year.