Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 AM

Mein Auto: Passat
Emergency kit, yellow jacket, wax and cellphone

We are about to leave to pickup our car. Where do you pickup a SIM card for the iPhone in Germany ? Anybody did that in the airport ?

Also do they sell car wax in BMW welt (I know it sounds silly but not sure if I can carry car wax in my carry on luggage)

Lastly where do you buy the yellow neon jacket and emergency kit before entering France ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
The safety jackets can be purchased at the Welt, or at ADAC. Do not forget the breathalyzers, required to be in the car while in France.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
95 Suburban 2500 Heavy Duty Mule
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2

Last edited by M FUNF; 10-21-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmervert View Post
Lastly where do you buy the yellow neon jacket and emergency kit before entering France ?
The emergency kit and triangle will be provided by BMW and will be in your car at delivery.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
The safety jackets can be purchased at the Welt, or at ADAC. Do not forget the breathalyzers, required to be in the car while in France.
breathalyzers? Is that a new law? When we got pulled over outside of Paris, we were not asked for breathalyzers.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 AM

I did not know of breathalyzers too. Is that a new law?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Also do they sell car wax in BMW welt (I know it sounds silly but not sure if I can carry car wax in my carry on luggage)
You can purchase BMW Natural Care car wax (carnauba) at the BMW Welt shop for about 12 €. It works well.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Quote:
We are about to leave to pickup our car. Where do you pickup a SIM card for the iPhone in Germany ? Anybody did that in the airport ?

I picked mine up at the electronic store in the main terminal. It was a Blau prepaid SIM. That was the worst experience i had during my 2-week trip. I arrived on a Monday before noon. There was only one person working and she was busy chatting on the phone, ignoring me for about 10 minutes. When she finally got done with her call, she was quite rude in answering my questions about the roaming features of the Blau prepaid SIM. Naturally, she was completely wrong in her answers. So i bought the prepaid SIM and went over to the grocery store Edeka across from the electronic store to buy some additional credits. I believe i bought two 15-Euro credit and they show up as code numbers on two receipts.

It was a good thing i brought my MacBook Air with me. I was able connect to Blau.de and activated the credits by entering the codes. Blau.de is only in German so i visited that site using Chrome (Google's browser that has a built-in translation feature). I am able to understand some basic German but technical jargons are too much for me. So the translation feature was a god-send.

Blau's prepaid SIM worked out best for me because my trip started in Germany for a few days, followed by 7 days outside Germany and then back to Germany for the last few days. I bought the 2GB data (in Germany) for 30 days plan, as well as the EU Carefree Package (in German it's called EU Sorglos-Paket) plan with 200 MB data + 150 minutes for calls + 150 text messages for 8 days (that's 8 consecutive days). The 2GB data plan cost 9.90 Euros while the EU Carefree plan cost 19.90.

I activated the 2GB data plan almost immediately. I didn't activate the EU carefree plan until the night before leaving Germany for France as that plan was only good for 8 consecutive days. If you are fluent in German, you may be able to apply the credits and activate the different plans by calling a computer-operated customer support phone number provided by Blau. I tried doing that several times but gave up eventually.

One important note: If you plan to roam (outside of Germany) with data on the Blau prepaid SIM, you need to put the Cellular data information for APN. Otherwise when you are outside of Germany, your phone won't know how to get on the data network. That rude salesgirl at the electronic store told me i didn't need to do that and it took me a little bit before i figured out why i was not able to connect to the data network when i was in Alsace.

I bought the fluorescent orange (and green, because they ran out of the orange one) vest and the Austrian vignette at a gas station in Germany near the Austrian border. That gas station didn't carry the Swiss vignette so i had to stop in another gas station in Weil am Rhein to get it later in the trip.

What do you mean by the emergency kit? Are you talking about the first aid kid and the emergency triangle? These are provided by BMW when you pick up your car at the Welt.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: whatever the Mrs doesn't
Quote:
I did not know of breathalyzers too. Is that a new law?
The law for breathalyzers in France was postponed and is not enforced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...e-dropped.html

FWIW, I drove to Paris and back without one.... had the vests though
Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Thank you MFUNF, gkr778 and ktula. ktula i really appreciate the details to which you described what you did. This goes to prove that bimmer owners really look out for each other !!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Correction: The 2 GB plan i mentioned earlier was actually 1 GB (valid for 30 days) for 9.90 Euros. Looks like Blau.de has improved the EU Carefree packet now: instead of 200 MB over 8 days, it's now 300 MB.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
You can purchase BMW Natural Care car wax (carnauba) at the BMW Welt shop for about 12 €. It works well.
I use Malm's wax. It's sooo good. Used to use Meguiar's and Zymol.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i ///M Sports Pkg
I got my Blau.de SIM card at the electronics shop just outside the customs exit to the right - across from the bakery. I forget what it's called, but it's hard to miss. I was with Rolf so he helped get me set up - but the clerk spoke pretty good English anyways. I walked out with a working iPhone with data (not sure about voice - never used it). Cost me like 20 euro - 10 for the card and 10 for the data or something like that.