Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB E500 4matic
19" Non runflat tire users - please chime in

What are you using, how many miles, and have you had any blowouts/rim failures due to pot holes impacts?

I am between Michelin Pilot Sport A/S & Conti Extremecontact DWS.

In 1500 miles of driving, i've hit two potholes, and have had 2 bubbles...and winter hasn't come yet so i'm going to go with 1 of the above. My dealer is telling me switching to non-runflats will not eliminate the hitting-pothole-getting-bubble situation, since both tires are low profile - something tells me he's not correct but would like your feedback.

thanks,

Aceman
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
What are you using, how many miles, and have you had any blowouts/rim failures due to pot holes impacts?

In 1500 miles of driving, i've hit two potholes, and have had 2 bubbles...and winter hasn't come yet so i'm going to go with 1 of the above. My dealer is telling me switching to non-runflats will not eliminate the hitting-pothole-getting-bubble situation, since both tires are low profile - something tells me he's not correct but would like your feedback.

thanks,

Aceman

You will still get bubbles with non rfts be sure of that. I have the DWS's and found them to be excellent in the rain snow and treadlife but the sidewalls are soft and you will not get a hard cornering ride that you get on the rft's. They come with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so try them out. If you like the handling then they are a nobrainer. I got a rim from tirerack for $70 and use an rft as a spare. I like the ride of the RFT's better. Cant speak to the handling of the michelins but the dws's are rated better in the rain snow and treadlife dept.

Last edited by dunccfp; 11-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I have 9,000 miles on Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer tires without any issues. I would recommend the Michelin Pilot A/S based on some recent comments on the Contis being too soft.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Do NOT get the Conti DWS's. I have them and have found out the hard way that they add a lot of vaugeness and inaccuracy to the steering. Unfortunatley I steered another person toward them and he hated them, and I am embarrased about it.

My car wanders on center and does not feel planted. I had thought it was a symptom of the reprogramming efforts from my "pull to the right" issue, however two other members have told me that they had the same sensations while driving with the DWS's.
Oh, and I got a bubble on one too, but it was a MASSIVE pothole.

As for treadlife, my tires have a little over 10,000 miles on them, and the rears are at least half way done, if not more. Very surprising for a tire with a 540 treadwear rating. However, I blame it all on the staggered setup of the RWD sport package - my fronts are in great shape, even the one that's not brand new. On your car, with xDrive, you will not have this issue.

I had the Pilot Sport A/S pluses on my Volvo and they were a great tire. I would say go with those without a doubt. The DWS's are VERY good in the snow and they are good in the rain but.....

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-05-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Do NOT get the Conti DWS's. I have them and have found out the hard way that they add a lot of vaugeness and inaccuracy to the steering. Unfortunatley I steered another person toward them and he hated them, and I am embarrased about it.

My car wanders on center and does not feel planted. I had thought it was a symptom of the reprogramming efforts from my "pull to the right" issue, however two other members have told me that they had the same sensations while driving with the DWS's.
Oh, and I got a bubble on one too, but it was a MASSIVE pothole.

As for treadlife, my tires have a little over 10,000 miles on them, and the rears are at least half way done, if not more. Very surprising for a tire with a 540 treadwear rating. However, I blame it all on the staggered setup of the RWD sport package - my fronts are in great shape, even the one that's not brand new. On your car, with xDrive, you will not have this issue.

I had the Pilot Sport A/S pluses on my Volvo and they were a great tire. I would say go with those without a doubt. The DWS's are VERY good in the snow and they are good in the rain but.....

Did you take your dws's off. I'm putting mine back on in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it feels.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
Did you take your dws's off. I'm putting mine back on in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it feels.
No, I can't, as the RFT's are summers. The plan is to suffer with them through the winter, put on the GY Excellences in the Spring (they have 7k miles on them), kill those next year, then buy snows next fall and a new set of non-RFT summers in the spring of 2013.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
I'd like to recommend a different tire for you. I don't have non-run flats now and I'm going to replace my RFTs with Michelin Pilot Super Sport when the time comes for me but I've had these other tires on a lot of my cars and I just loved them.

Pirelli PZero Nero All Season (formerly M+S): They have a cushy ride and very sharp turn-in and they track straight and true - no wandering with these. They have a 400 wear number and I've gotten 35K miles. They are not good in snow but they are excellent in rain i.e. good traction and no aqua planning. They are also less expensive and Tire Rack now has them for your car for $180 each. I have hit incredibly big potholes that badly bent the rims and these tires never developed a bubble or sustained any damage. IMO: a solid tire worth considering.
BTW, you will find some bad reviews from a few people but that has not been my experience.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
Regarding bubbling - yes you can get bubbles in low pro Non-RFT's, but isn't true that the bubbles come mainly because there is less memory in the RFT's which doesn't allow them to come back in to place like a Non-RFT (so esentially the softer sidewall in a Non-RFT is more forgiving than a RFT which when it expands out, it cannot come back).

That said, it sounds like Bridgetstone may have a new RFT tire on the market that might correct that in some sizes.

Wardmaan
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Regarding bubbling - yes you can get bubbles in low pro Non-RFT's, but isn't true that the bubbles come mainly because there is less memory in the RFT's which doesn't allow them to come back in to place like a Non-RFT (so esentially the softer sidewall in a Non-RFT is more forgiving than a RFT which when it expands out, it cannot come back).

That said, it sounds like Bridgetstone may have a new RFT tire on the market that might correct that in some sizes.

Wardmaan
A bubble happens when the sidewall is partially cut from being pinched between the rim and a road hazard. When you deflate a bubbled tire, the bubble will go away, but you can see the tear on the inside of the tire. Think stretched chewing gum.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Gotcha - I was shown that RFT's expand in a hard hit like a Non-RFT, but due to lack of memory, the bubble stays due to the hard sidewall. Kind if like that toy where you squeeze it and the eyes pop out; in a RFT the eyes cannot go back because your have broken the hard/thick sidewall whereas in the Non-RFT (the rubber squeeze toy) it can go back to the original form.

Bridgestone has released some new tires with a newer sidewall that supposedly helps with this and there is a vide on Tirerack that shows the tire and new sidewall style too. It's more pilar like so I'm guessing it has added strength and cen flex back while still supporting the car without air.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
I've had multiple sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on multiple cars and I loved every set of them. You can definitely find less expensive tires but if you're looking for a good all season tire you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: car
I am the one that had really bad experience with the DWS. No worries Needsdecaf, I don;t blame you. I am back to the rfts on my 18 inch, and my car has no vibration, wandering, sloppy feel as the DWS had. IF I had to do it all over again, I would get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires if I had 19 inch rims. But I have 18s and I am fine as I do not get any of the bubbling problems. Avoid the DWS as the dealer has admitted complaints with bad out of round batches and poor quality control with them. Get the Michelins.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i
of course she's wrong, she's a woman.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: MB E500 4matic
Thanks...

Everyone thanks for the input, right now it looks like i'm leaning towards the Michelins even though they are a lot more $$$...

My understanding on bubbles is since he RFT tires have stiff sidewalls to allow you to drive in case of a flat, this stiffness is designed by using steel belts. So in a road hazard, the belts will at times crease and not return to their shape, thereby causing the bubble. The non-RFT tires have much softer sidewalls, thereby do not bubble nearly as much. Again - this is my understanding, it sounds right, similar to what the other poster was stating. Hopefully the switch will stop my visits to the dealer...

Aceman
Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Everyone thanks for the input, right now it looks like i'm leaning towards the Michelins even though they are a lot more $$$...

My understanding on bubbles is since he RFT tires have stiff sidewalls to allow you to drive in case of a flat, this stiffness is designed by using steel belts. So in a road hazard, the belts will at times crease and not return to their shape, thereby causing the bubble. The non-RFT tires have much softer sidewalls, thereby do not bubble nearly as much. Again - this is my understanding, it sounds right, similar to what the other poster was stating. Hopefully the switch will stop my visits to the dealer...

Aceman
I think you are being mislead. The main difference between non-Run Flats and run flats is thicker side walls not extra steel belts which are under the tread portion of the tire. Theoretically the stronger side walls should reduce the bubbling problem which results from a side wall collapse and the the rim hitting the inside of the tire causing an air leak into the sidewall because the rubber is sliced. Yes the belts could be creased also, but that does not cause the bubble. The mechanism is exactly the same on a non-RFT where the softer sidewall should make it worse. Tire dealers that I have talked to say that they see no difference in bubbles on RFTs vs non-RFT. But, there is an exception - read on.

Unfortunately, it seems that some RFTs used on the BMWs are more susceptible to bubbles than they should be. The real reasons for this anomaly are unknown, but the only way to fix it is to find a tire and wheel combination that reduces the problem. The key is to find the right combination that works for your requirements which could indeed be a non-RFT. Some on this thread have given you information on what works for them and you will find even more on the sticky RFT thread. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I have 9,000 miles on Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer tires without any issues. I would recommend the Michelin Pilot A/S based on some recent comments on the Contis being too soft.
+1 I have Michelin Pilot Sport Super A/S and love them! A bit pricey but well wroth it.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Diver624

Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
Quote:

thanks,

Aceman
I had the Pilot Sport + A/S on my Audi S5 and they were quiet, had pretty good dry and wet traction and were passable in the snow. I was disappointed in the snow traction and had to be careful but these A/S tires are are designed more for handling than for snow traction.

I aslo had the Pirelli Nero A/S and they were dangerous in the snow, scary actually.

If your roads get plowed right after it snows then the Pilots will be ok but if your going to spend allot of time on snow covered roads they might not be your best choice.
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten
Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: car
Anyone consider the 245/40/19 Michelin Primacy MXM4 all season tires??? They are the new types of Primacy a/s tires. I had them on a set of avant garde wheels and they felt very comfortable and similar to the Michelin Pilot sport a/s tires but with deeper threads and better snow traction. Handling was slightly less than the Pilot Sport but much superior in every way over the soft DWS. They also had good breaking, acceleration, and ride feel (Michelin typical feel).
Old 11-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
I had my first LS 2 bubble at 300 miles, drove on it another few hundred miles till I had Goodyear replace them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, now almost at 11,000 miles with no sidewall issues and I've hit some pot holes. Winter 18" Pilot Alpin PA3 go on next week. Very pleased with superior performance of the 245/40-19 Pilot Super Sports. Compact spare in the trunk.

Seems to be a number of opinions on RFT and their propensity to have side wall problems verses conventional tires.

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: None
I am thinking to replace my GY run-flat tires to Michelin A/S non-run flat. What do you guys carry in the truck? Should I get the M Mobility Kit? Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 PM

If i get a bubble, I'll be joining you. I've heard good things about the Continetal mobility kit - fyi.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Here's what I carry, space permitting - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561806
If I need absolutely all the space in the trunk, BMW Mobility kit (Continental ContiComfortKit is similar) in little cubby under the floor. Also a tire repair kit like this, http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...tegory_Code=ki.
Plus AAA- as BMW assist will just take you to a BMW dealer not a tire center or repair shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	300227   Click image for larger version

Name:	onCAR.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	300228   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullCOMPACT.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	300229  

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i xDrive
Thumbs down On to my 5th replacement due to Bubbles

Today will mark my 5th replacement tire due to Bubbles on my 19" Goodyear Eagles Runflats. Car only has 24K miles on it!!!

I read the other threads as well as on Tirerack. It appears to be a draw on replacing the runflats, which at this point will opt to keep them since I was lucky enough to purchase the wheel/tire warrantee. The wheels have dents, but the dealer said the warrantee will not replace the wheels unless it starts leaking air.

The other thing, I asked to replace all four tires with another brand, and I've seen issues with every runflat brand out there - Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone. it does not appear that Pirelli has a all season runflat.

Any other ideas to resolve this issue with these tires?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychung000 View Post

Any other ideas to resolve this issue with these tires?
The only sure way is to change the complete set of tires to one with a higher profile. Your choices are a 245/45/19 or 245/45/18 (requires new wheels). Some say switching to non-RFTs will help. If you stick with the current tires, as you asked, there is no way to improve it.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
I'm very pleased with my choice in non-RFT. Bridgestone RE970AS 245/45/19. The Tire Rack had very high test marks for them and so do I. The ride and handling improvement are nothing less than spectacular, and the slight size difference corrects my speedo error to within 1 mph at all speeds.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo