Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Mid Life Crisis

I haven't ridden a motorcycle for 20 years but have been getting the bug the last year or so. I quit riding because most of it was in the city, was dangerous, stressful and boring. My best friend was killed on a bike in 91 which is when I stopped riding. I have a home in the sticks now with hundreds of miles of beautiful twisting and turning roads and think it might be time to give it another shot.

I want a bike that is lite, handles well and has lots of power. Sport bikes are out because it's such an uncomfortable riding position for me. I want to sit more upright and the bars reaching back to me. I don't want an old heavy Harley or any of the other look likes. I've whittled my choices down to the Ducati Diavel.

Has anyone had any experience with the Ducati brand name? I've been told they are the two wheel version of Ferrari/BMW/Porsche. Am I crazy for getting something like this at 50 years of age?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
There's two in the garage ( my 916 and the wifes 620 monster).
Ducati's are alot of fun.
Don't know if I'd start on the Diavel, IIRC one of the test's I read said its was the quickest thing 0>60 the have ever tested. Until you get a few thousand miles under your belt, a 620 or 750 monster will give you plenty of thrills.
Look for a used 620 / 750 monster, ride it for a season then decide if you need more git-uo.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:46 AM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
Ducati is a fantastic choice. Monster for sure! Great, fun bikes.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno_duc View Post
There's two in the garage ( my 916 and the wifes 620 monster).
Ducati's are alot of fun.
Don't know if I'd start on the Diavel, IIRC one of the test's I read said its was the quickest thing 0>60 the have ever tested. Until you get a few thousand miles under your belt, a 620 or 750 monster will give you plenty of thrills.
Look for a used 620 / 750 monster, ride it for a season then decide if you need more git-uo.
The Diavel has three power settings. The lowest is 100 hp but I see your point.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 AM
In the heat

Mein Auto: '08 Chevy Trailblazer
Looks awesome but I lean more towards the 1200 GS.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
I just got a ninja 650 a few months ago after completing the brc. Looks like a sports bike but has touring handle bars and sits upright. Plenty of low end torque and really easy to ride. It's my first bike...

Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 AM

Here's the (heavily modded) 620 Monster

Two must do mods on a Monster, switch the front spocket from 15 tooth to 14 tooth, and do a "tail chop".
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
That's a lot of bike.

But if you have the means do it.

Aside from that maybe few year old VFR Interceptor? Good comfy , yet sporty bike with upright riding position.

I'm partial to Kawi's and Suzuki's having owned a few over the years.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
mid life crisis... good luck.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-05-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Experience with Ducati? Sorry - not first hand - but I have a friend who is paraplegic because of his Ducati Monster - his back vs concrete fence post after he had to evade oncoming traffic that would not yield half the road ... he lost. Doesn't stop him functioning completely - he has hands control in his bimmer, but he wears a colostomy bag...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Ducati Motorcycles
330 Coupe Sold
Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 AM

Most bikes are just too tall for me. The seat height on the Diavel is around 30" and fits me well. I have a demo scheduled tomorrow so I'll check out the other bikes mentioned.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
Experience with Ducati? Sorry - not first hand - but I have a friend who is paraplegic because of his Ducati Monster - his back vs concrete fence post after he had to evade oncoming traffic that would not yield half the road ... he lost. Doesn't stop him functioning completely - he has hands control in his bimmer, but he wears a colostomy bag...

I hear what you're saying. Believe me, it is my biggest concern. My best friend was killed on a motorcycle that I sold him. It was really a life changing event for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM
On Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post
I hear what you're saying. Believe me, it is my biggest concern. My best friend was killed on a motorcycle that I sold him. It was really a life changing event for me.
I know it's out of season now, but perhaps a jet ski would lend you the thrill you seek while being somewhat a safer alternative.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM

If you go for it.
Good riding gear, leathers with armor and spine protector, riding boots, and a really good full face helmet.
Then take a MSF course.

Be very cautious around scoccer moms on cellphones in SUV's, they will try to run you off the road.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
I know it's out of season now, but perhaps a jet ski would lend you the thrill you seek while being somewhat a safer alternative.
+1

Or maybe an Ariel Atom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 92 325i
+1 for the Ducati. We've had a motostrada, 620M, 900m, 750ss and a 1000ss. Theyre alot easier to ride I think, mostly because the torque curve is pretty flat.

Sent from my thumb to your eyes
Primered Black 92' 325i. Ireland Engineering Header, Ireland Engineering Catback, TMS Underdrive pulleys, TMS chip, Bav auto fpr, Power Flow cai, Bav auto coil packs, Cool Carbon pads, Eiback springs, Bilstien Sport HD shocks/struts, 3.23 LSD, Understeer short shifter, 16'' Spal Fan, Goodridge Steel Brakelines, M3 Bumper, Black out grill, clear tails, M3 mirrors.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335D
Hey don't worry bout a mid life crisis. My dad got his first bike last year at the young tender age of 67, and he chose the biggest heaviest Harley they make.

A few points. I'm always glad to hear your looking into riding again, given the bad experience you had.

I'm new to bimmers but not to riding. I've been on two wheels for the past 14 years. I recommend you get the bike you want so you'll actually want to keep riding it and stay proficient with your skills, and reduce the likely hood of you going down vs riding through a difficulty.

Secondly attend every single safety and riding course you can find. Once you have completed those, find a safe place you can practice. Such as a large parking lot, and practice your ground work as often ad possible. For example, slow turns, weaving, braking, stopping and starting properly, emergency braking. Its always good to maintain those things because you never know when those specific skills will be needed.

We do this frequently with a lot of the local riders and anyone who gets a new bike. I'm a huge advocate for rider safety and awareness, both for the riders and the cagers ( people in cars).

Also look into options to be more visible such as improved lights, louder exhaust ( believe me it matters)

All in all, good luck with your new adventures and hope you have a blast!

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny part up!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
I have a jet ski now. I like riding early in the morning before the boats come out. It's smooth as glass and the feeling is much like riding a motorcycle.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
On Top

Quote:
I have a jet ski now. I like riding early in the morning before the boats come out. It's smooth as glass and the feeling is much like riding a motorcycle.
If you get closer I have a PWC repair shop close to Grand.

I would have to second Scott's motion on tha Ariel, safe and studid fast and much of the same sensory feelings ( wind,g's, accel,etc.)as a bike.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Am I crazy for getting something like this at 50 years of age?
Yes.

Take up skydiving or rock climbing- they're safer.

JMO

A
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM

I found a slightly used red 2012 Diavel for $12.5K with 1,100 miles. Put a deposit down and now it's going over to the the Ducati dealer who is doing a pre purchase inspection. Might have it this weekend if everything goes right.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
I haven't ridden a motorcycle for 20 years but have been getting the bug the last year or so.
I have two Ductatis and three BMWs (and my wife's Aprilia SR50 Factory scooter) in the garage. I have been riding for 40 years, including all over the U.S. and some in Europe. My usual riding style is "sport touring", although I've done track days.

I really like Ducatis, but if you have not ridden for 20 years, I don't think the Diavel is your best choice. You have a lot of learning/relearning to do, and this is more bike than you want to have under you during that process.

If you want a Ducati, go with one of the Monsters. Light with lots of torque. Decent riding position. Plenty of mods available to make it YOUR Ducati.

Outside of Ducati, good choices for getting back into riding are a USED Kawasaki 500 Ninja or 650 Ninja. Once you relearn and "outgrow" them, you can trade in for your permanent bike without suffering much depreciation loss, or just sell them without much loss if you find motorcycling is still not for you.

+100% on getting good quality riding gear (helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants) and then wearing them, and taking MSF or other motorcycle training courses. Motorcycling is higher risk than some other activities, but it is not the death wish that some people like assert. You can manage the risk, both in how you dress and how you ride. But it has its rewards.

Enjoy. I have for 40 years.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
If a motorcycle is invovled, it's technically called an "End of Life" crisis...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
If a motorcycle is invovled, it's technically called an "End of Life" crisis...
Hmm... rarely do I ever get negative but this is dripping with ignorance. I've been riding for over 14 years with a bike as a daily driver and never have I gone down on the bike. I ride with literally hundreds of bikers and to date this year in total, 1 accident out of all the guys. And that accident was mainly due to the fault of the county who tore up a road and didn't have warning signs and we were riding at night.

Also the majority of bike accidents are caused by inexperienced or careless CAR drivers. If your not a rider you won't understand this, if you do ride you are nodding your head in agreement already. Yes there are those riding who lack the experience and skill but just want to go really fast and tend to go down. But I'm pretty sure I know a lot of people in sports cars that do the same.

Don't knock a man for following his passion and secondly don't degrade the experiences of all riders by insinuating that we are all on a path towards death. If you don't understand the bike culture and the freedom riding gives us, keep your snide comments to yourself.

DevilDog American Veterans MC

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App