Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: Acura Legend
Upgrade INPA to read uprgaded E65 ECU (ME9E65_6)

I have been reading threads trying to figure out how to update INPA to show my Engine ECU. I have an E65 that was upgraded at a Body shop so in INPA I was trying to select 'ME9 for N62' from the Engine selection, but it seems the script behind that doesn't account for my ECU.

I get the following
(Requested control unit: ME9N62, ME9N62_2 ... Not found. Control Unit found: 'ME9E65_6' Program will be stopped!)

So it basically says to me that I don't have an option in INPA to select so it will use the Control Unit ME9E65_6. So how do I rectify that? Saw some posts that stated Update INPA for new chassis models. If this is what needs to be done, can some elaborate on how it is done or point to some threads/documentation to accomplish it.

Code:
In very, very basic terms, to update INPA for new chassis models you need to:
1. Find out which control modules are fitted to that new chassis.
2. Locate the correct *.prg files for those modules.
3. Locate the correct *.grp files for those *.prg files.
4. Locate or write the correct *.ipo files for those *.prg and *.grp files.
5. Write a *.eng menu file for those *.ipo files.
6. Write a new INPA *.ini file to include the new *.eng menu.
Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Mein Auto: bmw
you need to edit the IPO for the ME9 to reflect 'ME9E65_6 as you have the newer software version on your DME. When I get a chance I will see if I can edit the IPO for you. Let me see what I can do..

Last edited by cn555ic; 09-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Download this file and change the extension back from .pdf to .ipo then transfer the file to INPA/Sgdat folder and replace the file with the one I edited...Let me know if it works
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ME9_N62.pdf (188.5 KB, 611 views)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 AM

cn555ic, I will have to test it on Friday when I have access to the laptop, but appreciate you taking the time to do this!

Much Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 AM

Thanks a bunch, the error went away and was able to read the ECU!!!

I would like to start editing IPO files similar to what you did because I have some other ECU modules that seem to be upgraded also. Can you explain the process? What tools/software needed? Maybe even link me to some documentation where I can get into more programming of the car.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM

I guess the information is protected by a secret society. LOL! I appreciate the work being done immensely, but now would like to be able to do other modifications! So if cn555ic or someone can explain the process, it would be most appreciated.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
File change

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Download this file and change the extension back from .pdf to .ipo then transfer the file to INPA/Sgdat folder and replace the file with the one I edited...Let me know if it works
I looked at your instructions on changing the pdf to an ipo, I did this and transferred the file to the INPA/Sgdat folder. Did you provide another edited file prior to this to fatone? I have the allegedly new DVD for INPA from BMCables with the new install that takes all the hair pulling out of installation. Seems as if the second go around, they could have included a fix for this DME problem.

I have a 2002 745Li, mfg date 06/02. If you could provide me with any information concerning this, I will certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

semored
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatone View Post
I guess the information is protected by a secret society. LOL! I appreciate the work being done immensely, but now would like to be able to do other modifications! So if cn555ic or someone can explain the process, it would be most appreciated.
You asked for help in getting to read the DME. I have done that for you. As for the software I am not in liberty to share it as it is not mine to share. Its INPA IPO editor that was used.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
You asked for help in getting to read the DME. I have done that for you. As for the software I am not in liberty to share it as it is not mine to share. Its INPA IPO editor that was used.
Kool! I cannot complain since my issue has been fixed. Thanks again!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM

INPA program

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatone View Post
Kool! I cannot complain since my issue has been fixed. Thanks again!
Read your inquires throughout the thread concerning getting INPA to read control unit ME9E65-6 on your car. I have identically the same unit number. How did you go about getting the INPA program to identify this control unit? I have the new program that installs without all the hassle of the earlier programs, but results for my car are still the same, it will not see the control unit. Any information you could furnish would be greatly appreciated as it would be nice to get into the INPA engine program, as you have evidently solved your problem!

Thanks

SEMORED
Old 10-09-2013, 06:08 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by semored View Post
Read your inquires throughout the thread concerning getting INPA to read control unit ME9E65-6 on your car. I have identically the same unit number. How did you go about getting the INPA program to identify this control unit? I have the new program that installs without all the hassle of the earlier programs, but results for my car are still the same, it will not see the control unit. Any information you could furnish would be greatly appreciated as it would be nice to get into the INPA engine program, as you have evidently solved your problem!

Thanks

SEMORED
Did you actually read the thread?? Post 3 is your solution.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM

Yes, I read the thread through several times, downloaded the file, renamed it to .ipo, copied it to the SGDAT folder, and I still have the same problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
Like to get this updated file as well.
ME 9 N62

Thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search