Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 AM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Awaiting delivery of X5 35d, couple of questions...

Hello All
We are waiting anxiously for the delivery of our 35d (it seems like the production is complete but haven't heard from the CA yet as to when to expect delivery) and I wanted to get the member's opinion on a couple of issues:

i) Is there some sort of a delivery checklist that is recommended that I go through before accepting the delivery of the vehicle? Any potential issues that I should on the look out for? (this is our first BMW)

ii) We have ordered a car with Sand Beige interior (DSB exterior) and have a 8 month old. I searched the forum for suggestions on seat protectors but didn't seem like there was a clear consensus on which one to use? I definitely want to have a seat protector under the car seat base - any parents out there with suggestions that are also safe?

iii) Tangential question on the baby car seat - from my reading it seems like there is no latch available if you would like to install the car seat in the middle of the back seat rather you need to use seat belts? Anyone care to share their experiences?

iv) We currently have allstate auto insurance but when I am shopping around I seem to be getting a significant discount on GEICO (state farm is slightly cheaper than All State) - any one insurance better than the other in relation to BMW?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 739
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
ii. Prince Lionheart makes a great seat protector, I've used them in all my vehicles for the past 2 1/2 years and LOVE them.

iii. my son's seat is in the middle right now, technically the latches are on the wrong side of the seatbelt receivers, so its a little inconvenient if you have back seat passengers to buckle up, but my folks didn't complain last weekend when we were out and about. I'm not sure if it was intentional that the middle portion didn't have its own set of latches, but the fact that the side seats have latches (4 total) means that you can use the two interior ones when you put the seat in the middle.

No comments on the other two questions, I'll leave that up to other experts.

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,141
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Hello All
We are waiting anxiously for the delivery of our 35d (it seems like the production is complete but haven't heard from the CA yet as to when to expect delivery) and I wanted to get the member's opinion on a couple of issues:

i) Is there some sort of a delivery checklist that is recommended that I go through before accepting the delivery of the vehicle? Any potential issues that I should on the look out for? (this is our first BMW)
Not really a checklist, just check the usual for PDI damage, etc. Make sure you have the whole leather binder with the manuals, and the emergency larger diesel pump adapter. They're usually in the trunk

Quote:

ii) We have ordered a car with Sand Beige interior (DSB exterior) and have a 8 month old. I searched the forum for suggestions on seat protectors but didn't seem like there was a clear consensus on which one to use? I definitely want to have a seat protector under the car seat base - any parents out there with suggestions that are also safe?
I believe this was discussed here before, just do a quick search.

Quote:

iii) Tangential question on the baby car seat - from my reading it seems like there is no latch available if you would like to install the car seat in the middle of the back seat rather you need to use seat belts? Anyone care to share their experiences?
no idea, sorry

Quote:

iv) We currently have allstate auto insurance but when I am shopping around I seem to be getting a significant discount on GEICO (state farm is slightly cheaper than All State) - any one insurance better than the other in relation to BMW?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
I have GEICO with my X5 and have had them for quite a long time now. X5 got whacked over the summer and the whole process was pretty painless. Just make sure you don't go to a Geico XPRESS shop, if you ever get into an accident. They are junk.

I get mails every couple months about a "BMW owner's discount" through Liberty Mutual, but I never actually ended up calling them. Try it out.

http://welcome.libertymutual.com/bmw/index.html


and above all, welcome to BFest and the E70 section!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM
shaunatl shaunatl is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: E46 M3, E70 X5, SpecE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
ii) We have ordered a car with Sand Beige interior (DSB exterior) and have a 8 month old. I searched the forum for suggestions on seat protectors but didn't seem like there was a clear consensus on which one to use? I definitely want to have a seat protector under the car seat base - any parents out there with suggestions that are also safe?

iii) Tangential question on the baby car seat - from my reading it seems like there is no latch available if you would like to install the car seat in the middle of the back seat rather you need to use seat belts? Anyone care to share their experiences?
We use this seat protector in both cars, but it has always been on black leather, so I can't comment on any discoloring issues with light colored seats: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-...ref=pd_cp_ba_1

We install in the middle position using the seat belt, as we did in our E53. Since the middle position does not have dedicated LATCH connectors, and the X5 doesn't support LATCH borrowing, we went with the only approved method of installing the seat in the middle spot. More info here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=97268 and here: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...86&postcount=2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,427
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Unlike a used car, for a new car your sole issue is 'damage/missing'- you dont care about any mechanical issues as these are covered by the warranty.

As AU pointed out, check for all the accessories.

Then do a careful paint and trim inspection. BMW paint really sucks, and you can easily find issues of note. Decide if you want it. If there are any issues you can demand the dealer document these in writing to be addressed at a future time. I do this even if I will live with it. There were a few issues on mine, which only I see when I am doing a polish/detail. Wife thought I was nuts and announced ":Its my car" ...O...K...

Do be prepared for 45 minutes of your life wasted with finance. I told the skirt that I wanted copies of any document I was going t be asked to read OR sign. She said "Oh, we'' give you a copy of anything you sign later"... I said "No, anything I am asked to READ or sign, and I want it BEFORE." PArt of it was that I didnt trust them, and part of it was that they made us wait until after her lunch break... I wouldnt even let her finish each spiel on the paint protector, upholstery protection, warranty, maintenance, clear bra, accessoroes, tire...... blah, blah blah, blah blan.

Enjoy!

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 AM
dnadrifter dnadrifter is offline
Registered User
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Middle seat is not approved for use with latch likely. Width measurements are probably not standard. It is up to the user I guess if they want to use the latches in an unapproved manner for a car seat.
__________________
2004 M3, Silver Gray / Blk, 6MT
2013 X5, 35i Sport Activity, Platinum Gray / Blk, AD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Marwan Marwan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
OP, did you buy or lease? If you leased and haven't done MSDs, it's not too late to do that. It'll save you a good chunk of money. Oh and welcome to the forum! Enjoy your diesel X5. I'm on my second one and can't imagine going back to gas on a big vehicle like the X5.
__________________
Retired:
2006 330i
2010 X5 35d

Last edited by Marwan; 10-05-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,447
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Make sure your CA sets up BMW Assist, Bluetooth and Sirius if you ordered it. Some are lax and let you fend for yourself.

Similarly, the myriad options in iDrive. Link your preferences to one key, your wife's to the other.

Realize that some of the OEM tires come with free road hazard insurance, but others do not. The info is on a DVD in the owners manual. Bring a laptop with you and READ the tire warranties before the F&I person brings you into their office. They will try to sell you the BMW tire warranty, even if it replicated coverage you are getting for free.

Finally, realize that you can refuse delivery for ANY reason if the car is not to your liking. Forgot to add an option? Don't like the color combination? Too much Orange peel? Don't accept the car (the dealer will have no trouble finding another buyer).

Finally, make sure you join BMW CCA if you are not already a member.

And remember the #1 rule here: Post pics!

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 10-05-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
ii. Prince Lionheart makes a great seat protector, I've used them in all my vehicles for the past 2 1/2 years and LOVE them.

iii. my son's seat is in the middle right now, technically the latches are on the wrong side of the seatbelt receivers, so its a little inconvenient if you have back seat passengers to buckle up, but my folks didn't complain last weekend when we were out and about. I'm not sure if it was intentional that the middle portion didn't have its own set of latches, but the fact that the side seats have latches (4 total) means that you can use the two interior ones when you put the seat in the middle.

No comments on the other two questions, I'll leave that up to other experts.

Jay
Thanks Jay! Any particular Prince Lionheart model that has worked the best for you? Any discoloration issues at all?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Not really a checklist, just check the usual for PDI damage, etc. Make sure you have the whole leather binder with the manuals, and the emergency larger diesel pump adapter. They're usually in the trunk
Thanks AU! Are there any other accessories that are generally included?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunatl View Post
We use this seat protector in both cars, but it has always been on black leather, so I can't comment on any discoloring issues with light colored seats: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-...ref=pd_cp_ba_1

We install in the middle position using the seat belt, as we did in our E53. Since the middle position does not have dedicated LATCH connectors, and the X5 doesn't support LATCH borrowing, we went with the only approved method of installing the seat in the middle spot. More info here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=97268 and here: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...86&postcount=2
Thanks! Glad to hear from someone who installed the seat in the middle and thanks for the seat protector link
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Unlike a used car, for a new car your sole issue is 'damage/missing'- you dont care about any mechanical issues as these are covered by the warranty.

As AU pointed out, check for all the accessories.

Then do a careful paint and trim inspection. BMW paint really sucks, and you can easily find issues of note. Decide if you want it. If there are any issues you can demand the dealer document these in writing to be addressed at a future time. I do this even if I will live with it. There were a few issues on mine, which only I see when I am doing a polish/detail. Wife thought I was nuts and announced ":Its my car" ...O...K...

Do be prepared for 45 minutes of your life wasted with finance. I told the skirt that I wanted copies of any document I was going t be asked to read OR sign. She said "Oh, we'' give you a copy of anything you sign later"... I said "No, anything I am asked to READ or sign, and I want it BEFORE." PArt of it was that I didnt trust them, and part of it was that they made us wait until after her lunch break... I wouldnt even let her finish each spiel on the paint protector, upholstery protection, warranty, maintenance, clear bra, accessoroes, tire...... blah, blah blah, blah blan.

Enjoy!

A
Thanks ard! Great pointers! I am not financing through them so hopefully it won't be as painful!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
OP, did you buy or lease? If you leased and haven't done MSDs, it's not too late to do that. It'll save you a good chunk of money. Oh and welcome to the forum! Enjoy your diesel X5. I'm on my second one and can't imagine going back to gas on a big vehicle like the X5.
Thanks for your input! I am buying!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Make sure your CA sets up BMW Assist, Bluetooth and Sirius if you ordered it. Some are lax and let you fend for yourself.

Similarly, the myriad options in iDrive. Link your preferences to one key, your wife's to the other.

Realize that some of the OEM tires come with free road hazard insurance, but others do not. The info is on a DVD in the owners manual. Bring a laptop with you and READ the tire warranties before the F&I person brings you into their office. They will try to sell you the BMW tire warranty, even if it replicated coverage you are getting for free.

Finally, realize that you can refuse delivery for ANY reason if the car is not to your liking. Forgot to add an option? Don't like the color combination? Too much Orange peel? Don't accept the car (the dealer will have no trouble finding another buyer).

Finally, make sure you join BMW CCA if you are not already a member.

And remember the #1 rule here: Post pics!

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
Points noted! Will post pics once it is delivered (don't have a date yet)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,427
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Thanks ard! Great pointers! I am not financing through them so hopefully it won't be as painful!
Uh, wrong.

I paid cash. Just BS. Like "please fill out this form telling us what minority you are, and if you decline, here is another form declining"

If you are a nut like me, you'll insist they dont wash nore detail the car, so as not to cover any swirls/scratches
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 AM
mg650 mg650 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 140
Mein Auto: '13 550 XI and '11 335cv
Have always put towels under the car seats in the back and has always worked well.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,447
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Thanks ard! Great pointers! I am not financing through them so hopefully it won't be as painful!
Couple of points:

First, ard is correct. The F&I guy will still try to upsell you on wheel & tire insurance, extended warranty, protection plan, and all sorts of other dubious products. Probably more so in your case, since he is not making any $$$ from originating your loan or lease.

Speaking of loans. I am not sure what the current BMWFS programs are, since I am not in the market right now. But there are often additional savings available to customers who finance through BMWFS, that are NOT available to those who finance or lease through a different financial institution. And just because you sign BMWFS loan papers the day you pick up your car doesn't mean you need to stick with them; you can always refinance with a local bank or credit union after you take delivery. You may be too far down the road to consider this now, but file it away for your next BMW.

FWIW BMWFS is the absolute Gold Standard of finance and leasing companies. Courtesy, competence and sterling customer service.
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 AM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Uh, wrong.

I paid cash. Just BS. Like "please fill out this form telling us what minority you are, and if you decline, here is another form declining"

If you are a nut like me, you'll insist they dont wash nore detail the car, so as not to cover any swirls/scratches
Wow that does sound painful! The communication has pretty much been BS free so far (largely because I didn't ask any questions or opinions it was more like I want these options and willing to pay $x let me know if you can make the deal or not). I'll report back how much time I end up wasting at there when I do pick it up!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:28 AM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Couple of points:

First, ard is correct. The F&I guy will still try to upsell you on wheel & tire insurance, extended warranty, protection plan, and all sorts of other dubious products. Probably more so in your case, since he is not making any $$$ from originating your loan or lease.

Speaking of loans. I am not sure what the current BMWFS programs are, since I am not in the market right now. But there are often additional savings available to customers who finance through BMWFS, that are NOT available to those who finance or lease through a different financial institution. And just because you sign BMWFS loan papers the day you pick up your car doesn't mean you need to stick with them; you can always refinance with a local bank or credit union after you take delivery. You may be too far down the road to consider this now, but file it away for your next BMW.

FWIW BMWFS is the absolute Gold Standard of finance and leasing companies. Courtesy, competence and sterling customer service.
Are any of those additional products worth consideration given that I am going to be owning?

Regarding financing, I thought about going through BMWFS and that would also make me eligible for the $500 ultimate app discount but their best rate currently is 3.49% vs penfed's 1.49%. 200 basis points lower was too good to pass up! (at that rate it is pretty close to free money IMO) I didn't want to go through the hassle of financing with BMWFS to get the additional $500 and then refinance with penfed not knowing how long the 1.49% would last ... (it was supposed to expire end of sep but as far as I can tell it is still going on)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 739
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
In December I took advantage of the $1,000 BMWFS was offering and then refinanced through my credit union. At that point BMWFS was 4.99% but even sticking with it for the 3 month grace period my CA asked for I still saved a boat load of cash. Easy calc to pencil out.

I wouldn't be too worried about rates going up until closer to Jan 1 when the fiscal apocolypse hits. Until then the fed will keep rates near 0%.

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 AM
BenF12400 BenF12400 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 285
Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Paid cash and picked up 2013 X5 at PCD so only contact with finance was having to pay for vehicle in advance of pickup. Finance "forgot" I had a $1000 deposit - maybe was a legit mistake since the CA I ordered from over the internet was no longer at the dealership and the new CA just had to hand me tags to take to SC. Finance guy had to "fill out papers" and while he did "since it woulde take a while" had us view a DVD on multiple upsells including extended warranty not from BMW (?!). Also seat protection (kids are adults), some sort of windshield coating, etc - altogether would have add about $6000 or more and were not even BMW products. I think some of the forum sponsors sell the BMW platinum warranty for what they say is a good price. No need to buy it when you get the vehicle. I also got a spare tire because I plan to switch out of RFTs. Good luck - very happy so far with vehicle (11000 miles). I am a little OCD - I keep looking for problems since these forums are full of people with complaints about BMW and my previous vehicles were Lexus Rxs (wife complained "girls car") - gave the latest one to my daughter, now has 140000 miles and I had too the first bulb change when a taillight bulb went out - bulbs wre two for 3.98. Oh - am getting 26-27 mpg in a non-d 35i X5 premium - amazed.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM
alexmish alexmish is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 260
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d loaded
The only things you MUST check before car has left the lot are surfaces - exterior and interior. Any dents, scratches, rips etc. will be "on you" if you happen to discover them at a later point. Anything else is fixable under the warranty anyway, and you could check it in your driveway/garage.
__________________
---------
Hers : 2013 335xi Imperial Blue/Black with lots of stuff...
His : 2013 X5 35d Deep Sea Blue/Black with all packages
Previous : 2010 335xi Monaco Blue/Black with just about every option...
Previous : 2008 X5 4.8i Space Gray/Black with just about every option...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 AM
CALLAWAY845 CALLAWAY845 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: phoenix
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 275
Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Hello NEO NY. Exciting times, for sure, as you count the hours until your baby arrives. I have some advice. With the sand beige interior, I would make sure you do not get matching floor mats, that beige is an absolute magnet for pretty much anything, and matching floor mats will look terrible within the first few days. I really like the interior cleaner sold at BMW. It is part of their "green" line of car care products (I believe it is a sugar-alcohol based product) It works magic in getting off issues from beige interior pieces.

Personally, I had concerns with my insurance covering dealer glass, if in the event I needed a replacement. It seems that some companies play games with semantics (OEM, non-OEM, etc.) Well, State Farm was wonderful when it came time, they did not question the glass or install fee (glass was around $875, and install around $300 or so), and I have the same windshield that new x5's come equipped with.

Another thing, consider yourself lucky you found this forum. Reading this forum has brought subtle items to my attention, that allowed me to have repaired under warranty, versus waiting until the part failed, and had to pay out of pocket (sway bar actuator being the best expample of this). This forum has saved me around $3100 There is an amazing amount of information brought here from the members. They sometimes take a tough love approach, but are always here for you. So, stay active here, and enjoy your new vehicle!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 AM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLAWAY845 View Post
Hello NEO NY. Exciting times, for sure, as you count the hours until your baby arrives. I have some advice. With the sand beige interior, I would make sure you do not get matching floor mats, that beige is an absolute magnet for pretty much anything, and matching floor mats will look terrible within the first few days. I really like the interior cleaner sold at BMW. It is part of their "green" line of car care products (I believe it is a sugar-alcohol based product) It works magic in getting off issues from beige interior pieces.

Personally, I had concerns with my insurance covering dealer glass, if in the event I needed a replacement. It seems that some companies play games with semantics (OEM, non-OEM, etc.) Well, State Farm was wonderful when it came time, they did not question the glass or install fee (glass was around $875, and install around $300 or so), and I have the same windshield that new x5's come equipped with.

Another thing, consider yourself lucky you found this forum. Reading this forum has brought subtle items to my attention, that allowed me to have repaired under warranty, versus waiting until the part failed, and had to pay out of pocket (sway bar actuator being the best expample of this). This forum has saved me around $3100 There is an amazing amount of information brought here from the members. They sometimes take a tough love approach, but are always here for you. So, stay active here, and enjoy your new vehicle!!!
Thanks for your input! I am still waiting for it to arrive! Your comment on floor mats got me thinking - I am sure the dealer is going to try to sell me a bunch of accessories during pick up what are some of the "must have" accessories? Is it better to get them at the dealer or from somewhere else?

Totally agree with the awesome help I have received from this forum! I am pretty sure I would've overpaid if not for the wealth of information and advice I received from members on here (in particular from ard) .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,427
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Is it better to get them at the dealer or from somewhere else?
) .
Elsewhere.

Multiple online dealers. Maybe floormatsvand a case of oil....

A

Ps thx
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms