Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Bmw 745li
Unhappy Here we go again.. 745li won't start

Last few months have been an ordeal with this 2002 745li. A few months ago the car wouldn't start, the engine would just turn but wouldn't fire up. After a few trips to the mechanic and another few trips to the dealership, it was resolved. The problem was the airbag sensor in the b pillar, the battery, fuel pump and a clog fuel line.

A few days ago I stop to get gas, when I tried to start the car back up it just made a clicking sound, similar to the battery being dead. I put my battery box on it, and just continued to make that clicking sound. The lights were not dimming but I have had a few warning lights on the car such as the, dynamic drive inactive etc. I towed it to my independent repair shop who said that it was not the starter, and that it stop clicking and was now turning but wouldn't fire up. He doesn't know what it is and said that I need to take it the dealer again. I am just trying to get the car running so that I can sell it soon. Any thoughts or suggestions of what the problem may be, please let me know.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 AM
The Silverback

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
If the battery is fairly new it might be your alternator
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 AM

Thanks, this is what I was thinking but the independent guy said he didn't think it was the alternator. I refuse to take it to the dealer, I've made arrangements to take it to another independent bmw shop.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Angry

Nobody wants to work on this car!!!

I've been turned down by 3 independent shops, and I had to damn near beg the current independent shop that has it to work on it.

I've being told that it's the ignition module switch is causing it not to start. I'll believe it when I see it running again though. I will keep yall posted.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
You ARE aware that the early model 745's (2002 & 2003s) had SOO MANY electrical problems that BMW provided an extended warranty to (hopefully) cover those issues before those cars got to 100K miles. Of course, some did not get proper treatment and therefore were essentially "dumped" on the market by sellers at selling prices under $10K. On top of that, some of the cars out there are actually SALVAGED vehicles and people wonder why they can't get a shop to look at the cars, REALLY? Sometimes you get what you pay for.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM

I hear what you are saying, however my car wasn't a salvage car, and it was maintained reasonably prior to me purchasing it. I haven't had any problems with this car other than this seemingly reoccurring issue of it having starting problems. The downside is that many shops don't know how to work on this car, usually ones with low skilled employees; leaving you to take it to the dealer and get ripped off. I have it at a really good shop right now, and they are the best in my state; so I have a really good feeling about getting this resolved. Its just frustrating.

Last edited by VitoCorleone; 10-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
You ARE aware that the early model 745's (2002 & 2003s) had SOO MANY electrical problems that BMW provided an extended warranty to (hopefully) cover those issues before those cars got to 100K miles. Of course, some did not get proper treatment and therefore were essentially "dumped" on the market by sellers at selling prices under $10K. On top of that, some of the cars out there are actually SALVAGED vehicles and people wonder why they can't get a shop to look at the cars, REALLY? Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Its funny that you made such a comment, my friend had a 2006 750li with somewhat low miles, and his tranny and engine went up within a month apart. I hope the newer models (2011-2012) don't have the same problems that these old units we have had.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone View Post
Its funny that you made such a comment, my friend had a 2006 750li with somewhat low miles, and his tranny and engine went up within a month apart. I hope the newer models (2011-2012) don't have the same problems that these old units we have had.
Lol they do.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM
SideShow activist

Mein Auto: 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone View Post
I hear what you are saying, however my car wasn't a salvage car, and it was maintained reasonably prior to me purchasing it. I haven't had any problems with this car other than this seemingly reoccurring issue of it having starting problems. The downside is that many shops don't know how to work on this car, usually ones with low skilled employees; leaving you to take it to the dealer and get ripped off. I have it at a really good shop right now, and they are the best in my state; so I have a really good feeling about getting this resolved. Its just frustrating.
You cant take a flagship BMW to a "general mechanic" and expect them to work on your specialized car...nor should they be insulted because you're too cheap to have a real BMW tech look at the car

Im kinda kidding ...Maybe you cant afford or simply dont want to pay dealer pricing...either excuse is a valid one and not that big of a deal.

Have you (or any of the previous shops) tried pulling codes? should be fairly easy to see what module is causing the problem.

However, if I were in your shoes and didnt know how to work on cars, I'd tow it to the dealer and let them diagnose it...then shop the work detail with indy shops...or try to do it in my garage if its simple.

You're not obligated to let them complete the work...just let them tell you whats wrong and then decide if its worth having them fix it

EDIT: I dont know about your state, but here in Washington "the best" Indy will cost more than a Dealer

Current Lineup:
BMW E31: Air suspension,19x10 / 19x11 Trafficstar
BMWE38:Air suspension,20x10 / 20x12 Forgiato
BMWE65: 22x10 / 22x11 Asanti ELT
Lexus SC400: Single turbo, 19" SRR wheels
Lexus GS300: VIP , Air Suspension,19" WORK wheels
S13 Silvia: WideBody, JDM conversion,SR20det,15" WORK wheels
Lexus LS430 UL:Air Suspension, 20"MAYA DLS

Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftGirl View Post
You cant take a flagship BMW to a "general mechanic" and expect them to work on your specialized car...nor should they be insulted because you're too cheap to have a real BMW tech look at the car

Im kinda kidding ...Maybe you cant afford or simply dont want to pay dealer pricing...either excuse is a valid one and not that big of a deal.

Have you (or any of the previous shops) tried pulling codes? should be fairly easy to see what module is causing the problem.

However, if I were in your shoes and didnt know how to work on cars, I'd tow it to the dealer and let them diagnose it...then shop the work detail with indy shops...or try to do it in my garage if its simple.

You're not obligated to let them complete the work...just let them tell you whats wrong and then decide if its worth having them fix it

EDIT: I dont know about your state, but here in Washington "the best" Indy will cost more than a Dealer

Lol, maybe you're right I am too cheap or just can't afford to take it to the dealer. I appreciate your feedback; my "general mechanic" has worked on all of my cars, but they were mostly Mercedes, as he was the shop manger at a Mercedes dealership who started his own company. The new indy shop I use is the best, in fact they just got the car started. It turned out to be something with the alarm system.

Word of wisdom to others who are dealing with similar issues. Don't listen to most of these people on these blogs, a lot of them are just looking to insult you or be rude because their lives are crap. Take it to a place you can trust that specialize in these sort of cars, and of course if they can't fix it, the dealer is the last option. These boards were design to provide feedback for those who may be experiencing similar problems; Not for people to criticize or provide useless satire at the expense of others.

My 2002 745li has done ok by me, two problems in 1.3 years not bad. The issue is that its hard to find a mechanic, dealer or indy, whom is reasonable with prices and also have the know how to work on them when needed.

Last edited by VitoCorleone; 10-11-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:23 PM
SideShow activist

Mein Auto: 745Li
Dont take stuff too serious...some of us like to kid and give ya a hard time..just as long as we're actually trying to help. I said cheap or dont wanna pay dealers...I could pay dealers all day but choose not too

There are a few asses who say mean things just because they can or see someone in need of help and only offer stupid comments. Thats just the internet...home of the keyboard cowards.

anywayz, glad u got it runnin! get an OBD2 code reader with the BMW software. Will save yourself time when diagnosing your car. ...about 35-40 bucks on Ebay

Current Lineup:
BMW E31: Air suspension,19x10 / 19x11 Trafficstar
BMWE38:Air suspension,20x10 / 20x12 Forgiato
BMWE65: 22x10 / 22x11 Asanti ELT
Lexus SC400: Single turbo, 19" SRR wheels
Lexus GS300: VIP , Air Suspension,19" WORK wheels
S13 Silvia: WideBody, JDM conversion,SR20det,15" WORK wheels
Lexus LS430 UL:Air Suspension, 20"MAYA DLS