Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 PM
ncativo ncativo is offline
ncativo
Location: Sydney Australia
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0TD
star v no star tyres

Hi all,
I have replaced my rear tires but I noticed they do not have the "star" on the sidewall. They are the same brand, model, size & speed rating.
I was unable to find information whether this matters or no?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 PM
P-zaz P-zaz is offline
Registered User
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: 535 xdrive
Should be fine. Star is an OEM manufacture mark for BMW.

If you got the correct tire it should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 PM
kjboyd's Avatar
kjboyd kjboyd is offline
Drink the koolaid or else
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,097
Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
I'd be more concerned about only replacing two. The X drive is VERY SENSITIVE to tires not being of identical circumference and it can cause no end of trouble.
__________________
Kevin


-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2012, 12:43 AM
ncativo ncativo is offline
ncativo
Location: Sydney Australia
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0TD
Thanks for your input.
I would of changed the front ones too but they still have around 50% thread and obviously i am trying to save money.
Which means that i was running tires with different circumference.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,526
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Change out the front tires with new and keep the 50%ers in your garage, then when the rears wear out first -- as they will -- replace them with the 50%ers and keep going since the fronts will be down to 50% themselves by then. Of course for this to work you have to have the same tires to keep everything correct. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,976
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Like others have said, the xDrive is picky about the relative rotational speeds of the tyres. If you must run tyres with substantially different tread depths, I'd consider replacing the old ones as soon as financially possible. A transfer case costs more than a set of two tyres.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Like others have said, the xDrive is picky about the relative rotational speeds of the tyres. If you must run tyres with substantially different tread depths, I'd consider replacing the old ones as soon as financially possible. A transfer case costs more than a set of two tyres.
I couldn't agree more.

A while back I had a hole that couldn't be plugged so I ordered a used tire off eBay to match the wear of the others on the car. I had to run on my spare to the tire shop a few miles down the road to get it mounted and my xDrive "groaned" with that. Once I got the tire mounted it was quiet as a mouse.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 AM
spokelizard spokelizard is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 755
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I agree, but only with a major wear mismatch.

I ran fronts and rears with 2/32" tread difference for well over a year with no negative handling or X-drive problems.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,976
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
I couldn't agree more.

A while back I had a hole that couldn't be plugged so I ordered a used tire off eBay to match the wear of the others on the car. I had to run on my spare to the tire shop a few miles down the road to get it mounted and my xDrive "groaned" with that. Once I got the tire mounted it was quiet as a mouse.
You should have reinitialised the TPMS when you installed the spare. I realise that the owner's manual (at least my 2004 handbook) contradicts itself in regards to this. One page says not to do so, and then another page says to do so. I looked up the German owners manual which says to reinitilise so I did.

Last month I had two punctures in one of my tyres over the span of one week, and the second time it could not be patched so I had to drive around town for 3 days on the spare, limited to 80km/h while the new ones came from Tirerack and I had time after work to get them mounted. I reset the Flat Tire Monitor and the X3 drove surprisingly normal during its stint on the spare. I did my best to limit speeds to 80km/h.

Back in 2010, I didn't have the means to order 4x new tyres at once so I did a set of 2, then the other set of 2 about 6 weeks later. Although the transfer case did not make unusual noises, it tended to prematurely set off DSC in certain situations.

That said, it is absolutely crucial to reset the system everytime the tyre pressures are changed/corrected, and when tyres/wheels are swapped or changed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
You should have reinitialised the TPMS when you installed the spare. I realise that the owner's manual (at least my 2004 handbook) contradicts itself in regards to this. One page says not to do so, and then another page says to do so. I looked up the German owners manual which says to reinitilise so I did.

Last month I had two punctures in one of my tyres over the span of one week, and the second time it could not be patched so I had to drive around town for 3 days on the spare, limited to 80km/h while the new ones came from Tirerack and I had time after work to get them mounted. I reset the Flat Tire Monitor and the X3 drove surprisingly normal during its stint on the spare. I did my best to limit speeds to 80km/h.

Back in 2010, I didn't have the means to order 4x new tyres at once so I did a set of 2, then the other set of 2 about 6 weeks later. Although the transfer case did not make unusual noises, it tended to prematurely set off DSC in certain situations.

That said, it is absolutely crucial to reset the system everytime the tyre pressures are changed/corrected, and when tyres/wheels are swapped or changed.
Mine is direct with the sensors in the wheels and an antenna in each wheel well. There is no sensor in the spare. This was definitely a result of the xDrive clutches groaning (slipping) because of the dramatically unequal rotation between the front and rear drive shafts (the rest of the tires were nearly worn out).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
I agree, but only with a major wear mismatch.

I ran fronts and rears with 2/32" tread difference for well over a year with no negative handling or X-drive problems.
I agree. I had that much in just natural wear on the originals with no problems. I would love to know how much allowance is built into the system. I know it goes into full RWD only in slow sharp turns.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Tiger55 Tiger55 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Like others have said, the xDrive is picky about the relative rotational speeds of the tyres. If you must run tyres with substantially different tread depths, I'd consider replacing the old ones as soon as financially possible. A transfer case costs more than a set of two tyres.
I am going to replace all of my tires...so all depth will be equal.

I assume the TPMS will need reset...but is there anything that needs to be done for the x-drive after a tire change?

Also, I am going to get these changed at a NTW. Will these guys know to reset the TPMS or would I have to take to a dealer?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 PM
DangermouseX3 DangermouseX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta GA
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 270
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncativo View Post
Hi all,
I have replaced my rear tires but I noticed they do not have the "star" on the sidewall. They are the same brand, model, size & speed rating.
I was unable to find information whether this matters or no?

Thanks
Is the star perhaps only on one side (like RWL) ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Dave 20T's Avatar
Dave 20T Dave 20T is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA; Vancouver, B.C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,762
Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
I view the star symbol as a gimmick. I don't know of any special capabilities or specifications that tires with a star have but tires that lack a star doesn't have.

Tire Rack is one place that will shave a tire to the tread depth you specify for $20. I once had to replace a flat tire and the other tires were at 8/32". I think new tires were 11/32". I didn't want to buy 4 new tires so I had the single new tire shaved. If the tread was at 5/32", I'd probably buy 4 tires.

10/32" is the most common new tread depth. Here's what I would do:
10/32" - install the new tire
9/32" - consider installing the new 10/32" tire
8/32" - shave the new tire
7/32" - shave the new tire
6/32" - shave the new tire versus buying 4 new tires
5/32" - buy 4 new tires
4/32" - all tires are already ready for replacement
3/32" - tires are already bald
2/32" - legal minimum tread, buying 4 new tires is required anyway
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 PM
joylove joylove is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 923
Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Like others have said, the xDrive is picky about the relative rotational speeds of the tyres. If you must run tyres with substantially different tread depths, I'd consider replacing the old ones as soon as financially possible. A transfer case costs more than a set of two tyres.
Maybe I'm being naive but isn't that more for cars that have a traditional center diff, and the x drive allows the axles to rotate at different speeds by means of a clutch that is disengaged at speed?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM
nightmareuki nightmareuki is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Maybe I'm being naive but isn't that more for cars that have a traditional center diff, and the x drive allows the axles to rotate at different speeds by means of a clutch that is disengaged at speed?
No not naive, its just if you have different diameter tires you will either be RWD or putting strain on the transfer case constantly when its engaged which is almost always.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms