Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Pleasant Surprises

When we order our cars or arrange European delivery, the biggest negative is the torturous wait between the test drives and finally getting the car. But on the bright side, that leads to some fun discoveries about the car when you finally take delivery as to features and characteristics that we either forget or just don’t focus on while making the buying decision. For me these surprises were a big part of the reward after the wait until our ED which was 5 miserable months.

So, at the risk of making those waiting for their cars even more crazy, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread of the things we noticed when we finally got our 328i with the Technology and Nav packages at European delivery.

I arbitrarily stopped at 10 and hope others will add or modify as they go through the same process. They won’t all be positive of course, although most of mine definitely were. They are 328i specific but I’m sure other engines and/or packages have their own “pleasant surprises”.

Things we noticed:

1. How quiet it is at idle. I’ve read the reviews that say this engine chatters like a diesel but I disagree.

2. And it stays quiet. Pull up next to a bus and lower the window. Now put it back up and the bus nearly disappears sound wise.

3. How responsive it is even in Eco Pro. Ever come up on some jerk chatting away on his/her phone and wandering all over the freeway? Personally, I just want that person behind me. Like everyone, I read and compare 0 to 60 times but it’s really 40 to 70 that I care about to pass and merge. Here the car just seems to jump between the two. Killer torque and the transmission stays in lower gears until you back off the throttle. Not your daddy’s 4 banger.

4. Related to this is how easy it is to speed. It seems to me this engine has a “sweet spot” around 85mph which it just sort of gravitates to if you’re not paying attention. That can be very expensive and of course unsafe. Guess we will be setting speed alerts as it’s real easy to find yourself going way too fast.

5. How easy it is to get hooked on the heads up display. The integration of the speed display, cruise control, and the nav system are really well done. Before I knew it I was “seeing” the screen without consciously looking down at it.

6. The auto start design might have been influenced by the European “red to yellow to green” stop light sequence. Take your foot off the brake at yellow and you’re restarted when the light turns green. The US “red to green” sequence might take more getting used to.

7. That voice command is not a mature technology. Like with Apple’s Siri, it can be maddening to say a command like “recommend refueling” and get a response that says “loading owner’s manual” or something not at all related. I suspect it will get better and because it’s software it should be upgradable. Or perhaps it’s just me.

8. That the radio buttons are now “hot keys” and not just for radio stations. You can pretty much assign them to anything and then press a button to, for example, change the screen to the trip computer or look at the torque curve readout without having to dial through menus and submenus.

9. That you have to be really aware of who unlocks the car when there is someone with you who also has a key! Everything defaults to the settings on the fob of whoever unlocks the door. I’d load the luggage and then my wife would want to drive "her car" and not appreciate the mirrors, seats, radio etc being set for me! My older car defaulted to the last setting unless changed. Not a big deal, but we did seem to have the settings wrong a lot more than 50:50.

10. That when you use Bluetooth to pair your phone, it also loads all your music, email and contacts. And if your contacts have addresses you can call up driving directions with the Nav system. It also coordinates with your calendar alerts. What a time saver for someone making sales calls or driving around to visit different locations.

Tha's 10. Please add yours! Our car is in shipment back to the US so I’m hoping for a whole new list when it gets here!
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I think my fave feature so far is the side mount cameras on the front bumper. Instead of having to inch forward at blind corners, driveways, parking lots etc. I just have to flip camera on and can safely pull out when the coast is clear. That alone was worth the nature cost of the package.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
Yeah, I haven't done redelivery yet, so I'll get back to ya....

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R