Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Mykatie Mykatie is offline
it has arrived!
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 226
Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Stop on a dark street with the xenon. Stay straight. Turn wheel left, or right. It is cool how with car pointing straight ahead, a simple turn of the wheel lights up a driveway to either side of the car.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,596
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen2000 View Post
Good choice, when I see a f30 with halogens I shed a single tear.
A $40K+ BMW with halogen lights is like having a Rolex with a rubber wrist band.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Lorenzzo Lorenzzo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
A $40K+ BMW with halogen lights is like having a Rolex with a rubber wrist band.
Geez, until now I was happy with the Xenons. This sentiment makes me want to get rid of them.
__________________
2012 328i Sport
2008 550i Sport
2005 E55
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,596
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
Geez, until now I was happy with the Xenons. This sentiment makes me want to get rid of them.
Why would you say that? You dont think it was a good analogy?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Lorenzzo Lorenzzo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Why would you say that? You dont think it was a good analogy?
I just try to avoid status without function. As a result I wear my Polar HRM exercise watch most of the time. I'm hoping my Xenons are more about function for me.

I'm not saying I'm immune to the trappings of status, but I'd like to be. I'd go into more detail but my Tibetan Mastiff needs to go for a walk.
__________________
2012 328i Sport
2008 550i Sport
2005 E55
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 AM
samualcc samualcc is offline
I probably dislike you...
Location: Philadelphia PA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 775
Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
PSHHHHHHHH Xenon's look fantastic, and definitely add to the visual appeal of the vehicle. Status is defined by the onlooker, not the owner.
__________________
2013 BMW 328i Sport - Back in the family!
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan (Retired, Meh)
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Retired, great car)
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 PM
maxdriver maxdriver is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 2013 135i M-Sport 6-speed
After reading all the comments and doing some additional research....I've added it to the options of the car that I ordered yesterday! Sportline, Harmon Kardon, 6-speed and Lighting package are it for this dude....:-)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 PM
328i2013's Avatar
328i2013 328i2013 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Upstate NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 496
Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
After a couple of days now, I think the xenons are my favorite feature. Nothing wrong with liking em for just their looks. Just like gals
__________________

____________________________________
Next Ride: Boxster, Z4 or SLK?
Current Ride: 2013 328i MT
Previous Ride: 2007 Cooper S MT
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-13-2012, 06:00 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,539
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
After reading all the comments and doing some additional research....I've added it to the options of the car that I ordered yesterday! Sportline, Harmon Kardon, 6-speed and Lighting package are it for this dude...
Good boy.

Now dump the Harmon Kardon, sell one of your Breitling's, and get the Technology Package too.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Dave 330i's Avatar
Dave 330i Dave 330i is offline
The King of Common Sense
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 93
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
When you are as old as I am, I need the sun in front of me to light my way. Xenon is not an option, it's a necessity. I'm glad it's standard on my Turbo, otherwise I wouldn't be here typing this.
__________________
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-13-2012, 07:04 PM
328i2013's Avatar
328i2013 328i2013 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Upstate NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 496
Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Good boy.

Now dump the Harmon Kardon, sell one of your Breitling's, and get the Technology Package too.

BJ
HK is a must have too, just like Xenons
__________________

____________________________________
Next Ride: Boxster, Z4 or SLK?
Current Ride: 2013 328i MT
Previous Ride: 2007 Cooper S MT
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,732
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
hk is a must have
__________________
F30 335 Estoril Blue Msport with performance exhasut and black grilles
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 AM
maxdriver maxdriver is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 2013 135i M-Sport 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Good boy.

Now dump the Harmon Kardon, sell one of your Breitling's, and get the Technology Package too.

BJ
No thanks boy, the HK is a keeper, just like the Sportline and a manual tranny. This is all about driving...
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,596
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
I just try to avoid status without function. As a result I wear my Polar HRM exercise watch most of the time. I'm hoping my Xenons are more about function for me.

I'm not saying I'm immune to the trappings of status, but I'd like to be. I'd go into more detail but my Tibetan Mastiff needs to go for a walk.
I think you miss understood me, I was not trying to say that the xenon lights are a status symbol like a Rolex. I was implying that a finely engineered mechine like a BMW should have the best headlights. In a way, we are both saying the same thing, function over form.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 AM
thegandalf thegandalf is offline
Liked when BMW was in F1
Location: GA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 835
Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
No thanks boy, the HK is a keeper, just like the Sportline and a manual tranny. This is all about driving...
I don't see how HK sound is better than Tech when it comes to driving?
Having the HUD will at least help you keep your eyes on the road.

If it all about driving make sure to get the adaptive M suspension.
__________________

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.


Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 AM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post


My E90 M-Sport lacked xenon's so I replaced the bulbs with Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's and they made a big difference vs. the stock halogen projectors. Best $30 I spent on that particular car. Increased visibility nicely, bright white light instead of yellow, wasn't xenon but it was a step-up from what I got from Germany.
The packaging claims it is legal for street use, but I bet that is true only if used in the proper housing, and if not then it should be You can't just project 40% further without blinding other drivers. Housing that is not tailored for HID will have too much beam spillover that blinds other drivers, and it is that spillover of the unfocused beam that is illumination further . There is a reason why Xenons housings provide a sharp cutoff angle, otherwise they would be blinding too.

When used in housing that is not meant for them, these lights blind others and they can never be confused for the real things that do not blind.

I am surprised none of your neighbors confused your car for a Civic and reported you to the cops a possible intruder in the neighborhood from any of the nearby areas with undesirable demographics.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,539
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
The packaging claims it is legal for street use, but I bet that is true only if used in the proper housing, and if not then it should be You can't just project 40% further without blinding other drivers. Housing that is not tailored for HID will have too much beam spillover that blinds other drivers, and it is that spillover of the unfocused beam that is illumination further . There is a reason why Xenons housings provide a sharp cutoff angle, otherwise they would be blinding too.

When used in housing that is not meant for them, these lights blind others and they can never be confused for the real things that do not blind.

I am surprised none of your neighbors confused your car for a Civic and reported you to the cops a possible intruder in the neighborhood from any of the nearby areas with undesirable demographics.
Well, back in 2009 when I got my E90 without xenons I asked the E9X subforum about alternatives and that's what was recommended:

http://www.forums.bimmerfest.com/sho....php?p=4771532

Silverstar Ultra's were brighter than the BMW halogens, looked white not yellow, and lasted 3 full years. I never got a flash from oncoming cars, assuming I never blinded them. I only mention it in case there are F30 owners who skipped xenons as an alternative to the stock bulbs in their rides.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,596
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
After reading all the comments and doing some additional research....I've added it to the options of the car that I ordered yesterday! Sportline, Harmon Kardon, 6-speed and Lighting package are it for this dude....:-)
Good move, now you have the complete package, speed, handling, good sound and bright lighting.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Elk Elk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ~
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 855
Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
The packaging claims it is legal for street use, but I bet that is true only if used in the proper housing . . .
This is not an issue. Marketing aside, the Sylvania SilverStars are just halogen bulbs. They burn a bit brighter and whiter through use of a different filament than stock halogens.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,596
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
This is not an issue. Marketing aside, the Sylvania SilverStars are just halogen bulbs. They burn a bit brighter and whiter through use of a different filament than stock halogens.
I agree, as far as projecting 40% further, well, I guess that depends on what you compare it to. Compare to a $5 bulb, maybe it does project 40% further, but BMW does not use $5 bulbs. Also, any bulb that is tinted like the silver star will actually project less light compare to the same bulb that is not tinted. Silverstar get around this by running a different filament that burns hotter and brighter, the draw back is a much shorter filament life span. In the end, these tinted bulb are not a good solution for xenons.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,811
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The adaptive lights have saved me numerous times. That feature for me, makes xenons makes it worth it alone for me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM
NewToCarBuying NewToCarBuying is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: AH5 "13
Lol heres how i put it,

A toyota light in a BMW or a BMW light in a BMW (xenons)
__________________
2012 BMW 328i SEDAN
300 l 4CE l LCLY l ZLL l ZPP l 522 l 655 l 6NL
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,811
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
When you are as old as I am, I need the sun in front of me to light my way. Xenon is not an option, it's a necessity. I'm glad it's standard on my Turbo, otherwise I wouldn't be here typing this.
Wait till LEDS start becoming the norm.


P.S. At that price range, I would hope Xenons were standard. Even BMW makes them standard on their M cars.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 10-16-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,532
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I agree, as far as projecting 40% further, well, I guess that depends on what you compare it to. Compare to a $5 bulb, maybe it does project 40% further, but BMW does not use $5 bulbs. Also, any bulb that is tinted like the silver star will actually project less light compare to the same bulb that is not tinted. Silverstar get around this by running a different filament that burns hotter and brighter, the draw back is a much shorter filament life span. In the end, these tinted bulb are not a good solution for xenons.
The Silverstar name has been used for two types of bulbs. However, the OSRAM Silverstar sold by GE in the US are not coated.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM
ocso1606 ocso1606 is offline
Registered User
Location: Syracuse,NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
Yes worth their weight in gold!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms