Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 PM
Mein Auto: 2001 530i E39
Suspension Woes

Gentlemen and Lady,

I have a case for you, please assist

Having refurbished my car with all the necessary updates in the last 12 months, I also replaced the struts and shocks all round.

Having done only 3000 miles, the front struts - OE Bilstein Replacements have bent, the wheels have negative camber. While this suits my driving style, this does not augur well for a regular road car. Previously too, I had the same issue- the bend is at the bottom end of the metal tube.

This is the fifth set of struts I have replaced in 7 years

Sadly it never occurred to me that the OE Bilsteins itself could be defective and attributed this damage to poor road conditions and my aggressive driving style. But this time, it has hardly done 3000 miles and in regular road conditions, but for one nasty pot hole last week. Cant digest that Bilsteins cannot handle this. I have always bought these struts and shocks from Dubai, as I have been these last 7 years from the same vendor.

Questions I have are:

1. Is it that I need to get better brands? or go in for more hardy specs of struts / shocks ? Which would be a good replacement for poor road conditions ? Brand, model and place to buy please. I will be traveling to the US end of the week, so can order it in advance. I have M5 anti sway bar at the rear.

2. My right rear slants down by about 10 mm. The shock is brand new, only 1000 miles on it. Also bilsteins, which I replaced, as the one that was on it also had the same problem. For about one month, both sides were level. The previous set, also bilsteins had gone bad in a year.

Case: Poor road conditions, aggressive driving style, Poor road package (increased height for front mounting), M5 anti sway bar at rear, all good bushings/ Tie rods, Lower arms etc. Struts and Shocks going bad too frequently.

What is the inference and what is the solution?

Please assist with advise, Thank you in advance,
Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 AM
Under the lift arms
Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
I only use Bilstien Hd's ive installed 5 full sets (20 struts) on my own vehicles, Ive never had this problem..

2 things if i could say so with out being rude..

Stop textings and driving..
slow down and avoid parts of earth that are missing

This is a driver related issue...

and the sway bar, I believe you can but is very difficult to install.. wait for one of the guys who has done that upgrade b4 to chime in

are you sure your buying BS's?
Specializing In BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz ,Volkswagen, Volvo

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Photos please!!!
2002 530i
Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Mein Auto: 2001 530i E39
1. Burning 2nd: No offense taken: I do not text or even make calls while I drive. Its dangerous in India!! The roads around in my state are very poor when monsoons hits the place. My Bilsteins are not HD, but regular OE replacement. Probably need to go in for HD next round. I already have the M5 antisway bar installed at the rear. Its not difficult at all. Am buying BS from the authorised vendor in Dubai, they do not stock HD.

2. Crazy4 trains: Let me find out where the last set of Struts are and will send you photos of that once located, or when I remove this current set.

Others please chime in...

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search