Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM
faustas faustas is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: Toyota
Transmission Differences between the 28i and 35i

Hi all,

Could anyone help shed some insight on the differences in transmission used in the 28i versus the 35i?

The 28i has an 8-speed transmission whereas the 35i uses an (older) 6-speed transmission. I thought there must be a reason why the 6-speeds are used on the more powerful car as it seemed inferior to the 8-speed, especially when all the X3's and X5's I see in a deal use the newer-looking 8-speed transmission.

What does that do performance-wise?
Maintenance? (probably more expensive on the 8-speed... how much?)
Any opinions at all?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is online now
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,945
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
BMW tends to pair an engine with a particular transmission. The N20 engine used in the 28i models was designed with the 8-speed because it is a new engine just recently released in January 2011. On the other hand, the 35i model uses the older N55 engine which dates back to late 2009 with the E90 architecture in the 335i. While I realise that the N55 is now paired with the 8AT in most other BMWs, I'm sure there's probably some packaging limitations in the X1 due to its smaller size and shared architecture with the E91.

The 8-speed is a more advanced transmission. More efficient, shifts faster, and more responsive. Maintenance-wise, both are costly and complex to repair. Both are ZF-built. I'd just get the 28i with the 8-speed autobox.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM
lovemygsp lovemygsp is offline
Registered User
Location: Upstate SC/WNC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Just a personal observation: we went from a e46 6speed to the x1 28 today. It feels like its always shifting with the extra gears. I'm sure ill get used to it soon but its just kinda strange.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:44 PM
kosmo kosmo is offline
Registered User
Location: Hood River, Oregon
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygsp View Post
Just a personal observation: we went from a e46 6speed to the x1 28 today. It feels like its always shifting with the extra gears. I'm sure ill get used to it soon but its just kinda strange.
I test drove the 8-speed extensively twice and I agree. Always shifting. Drove me nuts. May drive me away from BMW, especially since when you manually select a gear in sport mode, the darn thing still tries to out-think you by downshifting anyway if you give it too much accelerator.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 PM
faustas faustas is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
BMW tends to pair an engine with a particular transmission. The N20 engine used in the 28i models was designed with the 8-speed because it is a new engine just recently released in January 2011. On the other hand, the 35i model uses the older N55 engine which dates back to late 2009 with the E90 architecture in the 335i. While I realise that the N55 is now paired with the 8AT in most other BMWs, I'm sure there's probably some packaging limitations in the X1 due to its smaller size and shared architecture with the E91.

The 8-speed is a more advanced transmission. More efficient, shifts faster, and more responsive. Maintenance-wise, both are costly and complex to repair. Both are ZF-built. I'd just get the 28i with the 8-speed autobox.
Thanks for the clarification!

Anyone's got experience/knowledge of failure rates for the two transmissions?
I felt that it's borderline overdoing it when the parking break is electronic.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 PM
faustas faustas is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
I test drove the 8-speed extensively twice and I agree. Always shifting. Drove me nuts. May drive me away from BMW, especially since when you manually select a gear in sport mode, the darn thing still tries to out-think you by downshifting anyway if you give it too much accelerator.
Did the constant shifting happen during mainly driving on local roads or highway?
I'm a fairly mellow driver (when it comes to driving BMW's anyway) so didn't notice too much shifting.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 PM
stary stary is offline
Registered User
Location: redwood city
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 99
Mein Auto: pending...
Steady driving on freeway obviously it's not shifting at all unless you are constantly accelerating or decelerating. It is noticeable how in city driving it prefers a really low gear, so it seems like it shifts a lot to get there. This is minimized when in sport mode (DS), because the shifting programming is more aggressive (i.e. higher gear), which I am pretty sure is the only thing that sets "sport mode" apart from normal drive mode.
__________________
2013 X1 sDrive 28i, M-Sport package, Mineral Grey
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM
stary stary is offline
Registered User
Location: redwood city
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 99
Mein Auto: pending...
By the way, I pulled out in traffic after getting gas yesterday and had to gun it, and I let out another "WOW" as I punched it. This engine is awesome when it spools up. There is a ton of lag when you give the car gas unless you really step down on the accelerator. I wonder how much of the 6.2 sec 0-60 time is just engine and transmission responsiveness. I wonder if remapping it would get closer to the 5.6 sec zero-60 the 328 N20 does. When the turbo spools up it really kicks you in the seat of the pants!
__________________
2013 X1 sDrive 28i, M-Sport package, Mineral Grey
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is online now
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,945
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stary View Post
By the way, I pulled out in traffic after getting gas yesterday and had to gun it, and I let out another "WOW" as I punched it. This engine is awesome when it spools up. There is a ton of lag when you give the car gas unless you really step down on the accelerator. I wonder how much of the 6.2 sec 0-60 time is just engine and transmission responsiveness. I wonder if remapping it would get closer to the 5.6 sec zero-60 the 328 N20 does. When the turbo spools up it really kicks you in the seat of the pants!
Most if not all automatic transmissions are programmed to minimise fuel consumption and emissions, hence the tendency for the gearbox to quickly shift into the higher gears (5-6-7-8) even at moderate speeds. Furthermore, generally transmissions can be reluctant to downshift unless you stab the throttle or hit the kickdown, and with the torque converter locked up immedately after starting off, there's far less of the "slush" that used to allow the revs to rise before the gearbox actually changed down a gear or two.

However, once you hit the kickdown, the vehicle does maximum acceleration regardless of shifter position so throttle calibration isn't so much an issue there.

Full disclosure: I have yet to test drive an X1 or X3 with the 8-speed gearbox.

If you think urban acceleration is exciting, wait till you get on a mountain road and really do some driving. The programming can be hit-or-miss at times in urban driving but when it detects very aggressive driving, it'll hold gears to redline and downshift early under braking so that you're in the optimal gear when exiting the corner. Since the transmission is adaptive, it won't go into this mode after a few throttle kickdowns, rather it takes into account the duration and frequency of throttle inputs, lateral acceleration, and braking inputs over a brief period of time and adjusts accordingly. It renders (in my opinion) the Steptronic function pointless.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 10-06-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
CanadianBacon CanadianBacon is offline
HP48SX User
Location: Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X135i
Here in Canada we have had the X1 for a couple years now. I started test driving the 2012 X128 last year with the 8-speed auto. We really wanted a manual transmission and thought we would have to put up with a boring automatic transmission. One block with the X128 and I knew we could live with that transmission. It is energetic and exciting.

We were at the dealer two weeks ago (after our 5th test drive in the X128) custom ordering our new baby. I remembered seeing an X1 very similar to the one we were spec'ing already on the lot, so I asked about it. It was the X135. We didn't want the larger engine and 6-speed tranny, so we continued with the order.

Our salesman (saleswoman Eve actually) read us like a book. She told us to take the X135 for a little spin in the parking lot. Since it hadn't gone through PDI (Post Delivery Inspection, I think) it could not be driven on the road. So we tooled up and down the parking lot a bit. Reving up to 4000 RPM in a parking lot with 300 hp under the bonnet was incredible. With their one year anniversary sale (BMW Langley, BC) our custom ordered X128 was the same price as the X135 already sitting on the lot. So we bought the X135 and have put on 900 km of the 2000 km break-in period (under 4500 RPM for 2000 kms). It was the first X135 sold at that dealer.

If the X135 had that 8-speed transmission, I think it would fire through the gears too quickly. As it stands with the 6-speed transmission, you get a low first gear and well balanced taller gears. It still feels like it shifts a lot to give you the power you need, but nearly as much as the X128. It actually feels a little bit like the 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S we used to have, beautiful power from low revs all the way up to ... well 4500 RPM.

Also, the X128 had the electronic joystick shifter. It was fine, but I don't think my Mom could borrow the car because it'd be too complicated for her. I know my Mom would have been able to drive somewhere, and stop, apply the e-brake, and not know how to put it in park. She could turn off the engine but not be able to take the key out because it's not in park. She would then call me to say what a stupid vehicle I have and then make me come down and show her AGAIN how to park it.

The X135 has a more conventional mechanical shifter. Press the lever and move the shifter into D, done. Compatible with my mother's 65 year old brain.

So to sum up this boring tale:
1) The X128 has a fantastic engine and energetic 8-speed transmission,
2) The X135 has a massively powerful engine and a well suited 6-speed transmission.
3) Test drive them both!

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM
stonex1's Avatar
stonex1 stonex1 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 546
Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Anyone have pics of the rear exhaust on a 2013 X1 35i and X1 28i? (specifically from a lower angle)
So far, I've noticed the exhaust tip and muffler hang a little lower on the 28i compared to the 35i.
My closest dealer is about 800KM away, so I've been trying to find some good pics on the net to really compare the 2.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
faustas faustas is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBacon View Post

So to sum up this boring tale:
1) The X128 has a fantastic engine and energetic 8-speed transmission,
2) The X135 has a massively powerful engine and a well suited 6-speed transmission.
3) Test drive them both!

Cheers.
Thanks for the insights. I did test drive both briefly. Will have to test drive them again as I was driving rather politely on the 35i. Probably won't be as lucky as you are to find an already built car that fits your configuration with a discount (The X1 is new in the USA and I don't previously own any BMW's).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 PM
lovemygsp lovemygsp is offline
Registered User
Location: Upstate SC/WNC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2013 X1
faustas, if you are looking for discounts, wait another month. The holiday specials will roll out and you can probably find a configuration on the lot that you would be happy with.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM
faustas faustas is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygsp View Post
faustas, if you are looking for discounts, wait another month. The holiday specials will roll out and you can probably find a configuration on the lot that you would be happy with.
Yes, I am a patient person
Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM
the_fox's Avatar
the_fox the_fox is offline
Custom User
Location: under the sun
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 682
Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygsp View Post
faustas, if you are looking for discounts, wait another month. The holiday specials will roll out and you can probably find a configuration on the lot that you would be happy with.
Or, place an order now, and by the time your car comes it will be full swing holiday/incentives season. That way you won't have to compromise options/colors from a lot car.

Or, even better, look into ED, save even more.
__________________
Do not fold, staple, or mutilate. Void where prohibited.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Beamerboi Beamerboi is offline
Registered User
Location: Ft lauderdale Fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Anyone have pics of the rear exhaust on a 2013 X1 35i and X1 28i? (specifically from a lower angle)
So far, I've noticed the exhaust tip and muffler hang a little lower on the 28i compared to the 35i.
My closest dealer is about 800KM away, so I've been trying to find some good pics on the net to really compare the 2.
here is mine 35i x1 M version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_CSP0490.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	345231  
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM
adgrant adgrant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,155
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by faustas View Post
Thanks for the clarification!

Anyone's got experience/knowledge of failure rates for the two transmissions?
I felt that it's borderline overdoing it when the parking break is electronic.
I am pretty sure the parking brake is mechanical on the X1. The transmission selector is electronic though. If a car with the 8 spd gets a flat battery or the has a computer problem, it will not be possible to shift it out of park. A BMW tech will need to go under the car to release the transmission. This won't be required with the 6 spd.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
faustas faustas is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
I am pretty sure the parking brake is mechanical on the X1. The transmission selector is electronic though. If a car with the 8 spd gets a flat battery or the has a computer problem, it will not be possible to shift it out of park. A BMW tech will need to go under the car to release the transmission. This won't be required with the 6 spd.
Thanks. I do mean the transmission selector.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms