Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 09-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Paint Care...

Hey Guys,
I took delivery of my 650i about 2 weeks ago.. I have been taking it to a hand car wash and already. I am noticing some swirl marks in the paint. I believe its due to them using the same microfiber towels on all the cars they wash.

Do any of you have advice first on how to remove the swirls and second what are the best practices to maintain the finish on these beautiful automobiles?..
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
It's more likely to get swirls from the wax they apply than from real scratches. Be patient, they will go away, or if you want to exercise for a day wax it yourself and polish nicely (pretty muscular job, did it once on a previous car, never again....)

I know a lot of folks here like to detail their car. I lease it and I know I will turn it back in at most 3 years, so I don't care much for the pristine outside look - besides it only holds for a grand total of less than 24 hours (bugs in summer, dirt in winter...). I prefer to wash it weekly (or when dirty in winter more often) in a touchfree station at $8/wash, vacuum and leather care few times a year so interior remains nice an clean. I did this for all my cars over last 10 years, never noticed significant issues.

I know it is very tempting to pamper such a beautiful car, but I value my comfort too much
Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
No one touches my car but me. No auto washes, no quick rinses. I don't even dry with a chamois. I rinse the car thoroughly at the beginning and use a lot of water to rinse as I wash with copious amounts of water-shampoo solution. I apply it using a microfiber mitt that is only used for the paint/windows on my car so I know that it doesn't get gunked up and impregnated with small particles that leave scratches. I work in small sections and dip the mitt and do one, maybe two passes over the rinsed area with side A of the mitt then again with side B. Dip back into the bucket to rinse and repeat. It uses a lot of soap and water, but I'd rather be wasteful than regret being cheap.

To dry, I spray the whole car down again after I finish washing. Then I blow it dry using a gas leaf blower. This not only gets water out of all of the crevices, but it also drys the car without anything coming into contact with the paint. Keeping a good coat of wax on the car helps as the water falls away from the car with very little blowing - this took a lot longer 5 months after waxing compared to the first was post-wax. One more reason to keep the car well waxed.

I used to wash it twice a week, but now I do once a week at most, sometimes every two (occasionally every three) weeks. This change due to (a) the novelty has worn off a bit and I don't have the time to commit to making it look flawless every day, and (b) it rains nearly every day here during the summer, so frequent washes tend to be a waste of time. Once I hit the 2 to 3 week mark, I usually find a break in the rain to wash it all the while knowing that its going to get rained on. While the rain rinses a lot off, it isn't the same as soaping it up and getting all of the dirt, spots, etc. off the paint.

I use a 3M compounding agent for tough spots, typically big splatter, after washing and drying. I rub it in using a clean microfiber cloth working in small, gentle circles making sure I don't catch any debris in the cloth. It's very effective, and there are zero swirl marks after doing this.

Black cars either look amazing or God awful, and I refuse to let my car fall into the latter category. I'd rather a color that hides the dirt and the swirls rather than driving a black car that looks neglected. I knew what I was getting into when I chose CB, and when it's clean, it's worth every minute of back breaking labor.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 09-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li AH
Hand car washes are the worst
Email rasky foursome great advise
A true detailing enthusiast
Raskysad@me.com
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Personally, I never use wax. My primary paint care products are Klasse All-in-one and Sonus detail spray. I will also occasionally use Sonus Acrylic Glanz spray after a wash. All these products are acrylic based, no wax and no silicon. They don't build up and they are easy to use, leaving a deep shine and slick finish.

I recommend Sonus SFX-2 for slightly more aggressive swirl removal, but try the all-in-one first.

Other products in my arsenal are Stoner Invisible Glass, Griots wheel cleaner, Lexol leather products and Costco microfiber towels.

These are my favorite products after many years of detailing on many different colors including blacks. But to each his own. There are many fine products out there so I say whatever works for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000759.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	343814  
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 AM

I sure love that DSB. We don't see enough of that color around here.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 09-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Zaino, Zaino, Zaino. Once properly applied the car looks like a mirror and stays clean for weeks. I washed it 3 weeks ago and I have driven at least 6-7 times in the rain and it looks like it was just washed...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Bonz that color is awesome.. Thanks for the responses guys... I must say I am absolutely in love with this car... But like SVP says... It's just a lease... So I am torn between his approach and Southerns since I will be driving the car until the lease is up.... Aahhh decisions.. Haha..
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
No one touches my car but me. No auto washes, no quick rinses. I don't even dry with a chamois. I rinse the car thoroughly at the beginning and use a lot of water to rinse as I wash with copious amounts of water-shampoo solution. I apply it using a microfiber mitt that is only used for the paint/windows on my car so I know that it doesn't get gunked up and impregnated with small particles that leave scratches. I work in small sections and dip the mitt and do one, maybe two passes over the rinsed area with side A of the mitt then again with side B. Dip back into the bucket to rinse and repeat. It uses a lot of soap and water, but I'd rather be wasteful than regret being cheap.

To dry, I spray the whole car down again after I finish washing. Then I blow it dry using a gas leaf blower. This not only gets water out of all of the crevices, but it also drys the car without anything coming into contact with the paint. Keeping a good coat of wax on the car helps as the water falls away from the car with very little blowing - this took a lot longer 5 months after waxing compared to the first was post-wax. One more reason to keep the car well waxed.

I used to wash it twice a week, but now I do once a week at most, sometimes every two (occasionally every three) weeks. This change due to (a) the novelty has worn off a bit and I don't have the time to commit to making it look flawless every day, and (b) it rains nearly every day here during the summer, so frequent washes tend to be a waste of time. Once I hit the 2 to 3 week mark, I usually find a break in the rain to wash it all the while knowing that its going to get rained on. While the rain rinses a lot off, it isn't the same as soaping it up and getting all of the dirt, spots, etc. off the paint.

I use a 3M compounding agent for tough spots, typically big splatter, after washing and drying. I rub it in using a clean microfiber cloth working in small, gentle circles making sure I don't catch any debris in the cloth. It's very effective, and there are zero swirl marks after doing this.

Black cars either look amazing or God awful, and I refuse to let my car fall into the latter category. I'd rather a color that hides the dirt and the swirls rather than driving a black car that looks neglected. I knew what I was getting into when I chose CB, and when it's clean, it's worth every minute of back breaking labor.
What best method do you use to apply leather treatment to your perforated active ventillated seats?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 AM

I don't have the perforated leather. I preferred the look of the non-perf. as it is consistent with the rest of the Nappa, and the ventilated seats and active function didn't do much for me. Sadly, I think GM does a better job with "cooled seats" that get frigid compared to BMW's that just blow air. And, to be honest, I'm still very glad I passed on that option. Despite living in LA (lower Alabama ), the max A/C button is sufficient to cool down my black/black car in no time. I don't regret that decision at all.

To answer your question, I apply the product using my hand. I put the conditioner on a few fingers and rub it into the leather a little at a time. I'd do the same with the perforated but just be a little more careful not to go too heavy using too much product thus causing it to fill in the holes.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I don't have the perforated leather. I preferred the look of the non-perf. as it is consistent with the rest of the Nappa, and the ventilated seats and active function didn't do much for me. Sadly, I think GM does a better job with "cooled seats" that get frigid compared to BMW's that just blow air. And, to be honest, I'm still very glad I passed on that option. Despite living in LA (lower Alabama ), the max A/C button is sufficient to cool down my black/black car in no time. I don't regret that decision at all.

To answer your question, I apply the product using my hand. I put the conditioner on a few fingers and rub it into the leather a little at a time. I'd do the same with the perforated but just be a little more careful not to go too heavy using too much product thus causing it to fill in the holes.
Thanks S6er22 for your response. I forgot that your car did not come with active ventilated seats. Most 6ers come with this option, and I was curious how those owners are caring for these type of seats. I came to the same conclusion, I could barely feel any cooling effect, but as for the heated seats, they are fantastic!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Thanks S6er22 for your response. I forgot that your car did not come with active ventilated seats. Most 6ers come with this option, and I was curious how those owners are caring for these type of seats. I came to the same conclusion, I could barely feel any cooling effect, but as for the heated seats, they are fantastic!
I got the heated seats (Cold Weather Package - seats + steering wheel), and I wouldn't buy a car, especially one of this caliber, without them. The BMW seats get extremely hot compared to most other manufacturers.

It got down right chilly today, a whopping 65 degrees, and I was very happy I had them scalding my scrawny a$$

Now the 6er comes with the ventilated seats in the Exec. Pkg., so they're essentially standard for likely 99% of 6ers coming out of the factory. That obviously wouldn't be cause for me to skip that package's amazing offerings, but I'm kinda glad I was able to get the plain Nappa.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I got the heated seats (Cold Weather Package - seats + steering wheel), and I wouldn't buy a car, especially one of this caliber, without them. The BMW seats get extremely hot compared to most other manufacturers.

It got down right chilly today, a whopping 65 degrees, and I was very happy I had them scalding my scrawny a$$

Now the 6er comes with the ventilated seats in the Exec. Pkg., so they're essentially standard for likely 99% of 6ers coming out of the factory. That obviously wouldn't be cause for me to skip that package's amazing offerings, but I'm kinda glad I was able to get the plain Nappa.
I've noticed that the cup holder in the 6ers do not have retractable 'teeth' like in the 5-series in order to hold different shaped bottles. How do you keep your water bottle from moving around while driving? I was quite surprised.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
I just saw a new '13 650 coupe at a local FL dealer - Tazzanite blue M sport with full Merino white leather, really nice - but no Exec Pkg. So for $100K no HUD, ventilated seats, soft close doors, rear sunshade or ceramic controls. No way. I did have a chance to drive a '13 Vermillion non-M sport and I do have to report the auto stop/start is not bad at all, considering the critical assessments in other models I've read about.
In fact is was pretty amazing, barely noticeable on restarts, A/C kept blowing cold when off. Pretty neat. And I love the soft close. But I'm still smitten with the looks of the M sport, so leaning Imola.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that the cup holder in the 6ers do not have retractable 'teeth' like in the 5-series in order to hold different shaped bottles. How do you keep your water bottle from moving around while driving? I was quite surprised.
The cup holders are pretty disappointing. They're fine if you have a large cup that fits snugly, although I've heard they aren't large enough for a Big Gulp lol. I typically have either a disposable coffee cup (Grande/Venti or 16 ounce Dixie if I bring a latte from home) or water bottles. The disposable coffee cups do fine, but I have gotten in the habit of putting my finger over the hole when the cup is full and I make a fast, tight turn to prevent sloshing. Deer Park 20 ounce bottles fit okay, but I typically keep the cap in place unless it's < 60%. The taller skinnier bottles flop all over the place. The Nestlé and Aquafina "normal" sizes fall into this category. The glass Voss bottles are a mess in the holders. They fall over at the slightest swerve or turn, and they make a "tink" against the ceramic A/C controls that makes me cringe. They do however fit nicely resting snugly in the door pockets lying sideways.

I've got you covered for all the best consumer advice, Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I just saw a new '13 650 coupe at a local FL dealer - Tazzanite blue M sport with full Merino white leather, really nice - but no Exec Pkg. So for $100K no HUD, ventilated seats, soft close doors, rear sunshade or ceramic controls. No way. I did have a chance to drive a '13 Vermillion non-M sport and I do have to report the auto stop/start is not bad at all, considering the critical assessments in other models I've read about.
In fact is was pretty amazing, barely noticeable on restarts, A/C kept blowing cold when off. Pretty neat. And I love the soft close. But I'm still smitten with the looks of the M sport, so leaning Imola.
I just don't understand these $100k+ cars that are missing some relatively basic/must-have options like HUD. At least that car had the Merino so the lack of Nappa Dash/Contrast stitching isn't an issue - would be a real deal breaker for me - but I wouldn't give up the HUD for anything on a car at this price point. I can see not putting the B&O on every car given its relatively steep price (although I guess it's better for '13 since you don't have to pay for Premium Sound + $3700 for B&O), but I'm shocked at how many 6ers at my dealership lack the Nappa dash option. Aside from my car, I've only seen one other 6er come with the Nappa dash, and it was the very first 6er convertible on the lot back in Spring/Summer 2011. The 650i GC at the dealer right now doesn't have it, and it just looks like something is missing in that car - especially given the additional would-be-Nappa-covered surfaces in the Gran Coupe. Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM

I agree. The Nappa dash/contrast stitching is a must, the vermillion had it and was terrific. You can't get the HUD standalone this year, only in the exec Pkg. I guess they want to keep the price "down" so no exec on this one. I think I rather have Exec than the over $5000 for the individual color/Merino.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Yup. Can't pass up the BMW toys for looks alone. If I had taken that mentality, I'd likely be in an XKR right now. I'm wondering how long Jag will stick with the circa 2005 touch screen. They get points for the cool pop-up gear shifter as it looks kinda futuristic, but touching a nav. screen brings me back to the days when my Motorola Razr made everyone jealous - it had polyphonic ring tones, ya know - and Macs were those stupid looking bubble boxes. Thank God/Steve Jobs for progress...

Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Just Jaguar's reputation for reliability issues will keep me far away from the brand. XKR looks nice but no thanks. And thumbs up about apple- new Ipad is nothing short of brilliant........
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I agree. The Nappa dash/contrast stitching is a must, the vermillion had it and was terrific. You can't get the HUD standalone this year, only in the exec Pkg. I guess they want to keep the price "down" so no exec on this one. I think I rather have Exec than the over $5000 for the individual color/Merino.
But you can't get the M-sport package with vermillion red!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 AM

I know it- boy is BMW frustrating !!!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
The cup holders are pretty disappointing. They're fine if you have a large cup that fits snugly, although I've heard they aren't large enough for a Big Gulp lol. I typically have either a disposable coffee cup (Grande/Venti or 16 ounce Dixie if I bring a latte from home) or water bottles. The disposable coffee cups do fine, but I have gotten in the habit of putting my finger over the hole when the cup is full and I make a fast, tight turn to prevent sloshing. Deer Park 20 ounce bottles fit okay, but I typically keep the cap in place unless it's < 60%. The taller skinnier bottles flop all over the place. The Nestlé and Aquafina "normal" sizes fall into this category. The glass Voss bottles are a mess in the holders. They fall over at the slightest swerve or turn, and they make a "tink" against the ceramic A/C controls that makes me cringe. They do however fit nicely resting snugly in the door pockets lying sideways.
Did you ever get a set of those cupholder inserts that I posted about way back when?

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Nope. I looked at the dealership, and they didn't have any. I may pick some up with my next special order. While I think the cup holders are poorly designed, I've yet to have a real issue or even a close call.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
Did you ever get a set of those cupholder inserts that I posted about way back when?
So the inserts are the perfect solution to holding water bottles, etc....

I found S6er22 posted hyper-link for those sold on E-bay.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
So the inserts are the perfect solution to holding water bottles, etc....

I found S6er22 posted hyper-link for those sold on E-bay.
They're the same ones that come in the new X3. (They also fit in the X5 and X6.) Frankly, they're almost TOO small, but work great for the thin water bottles or holding my phone, etc.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
They're the same ones that come in the new X3. (They also fit in the X5 and X6.) Frankly, they're almost TOO small, but work great for the thin water bottles or holding my phone, etc.
Another issue resolved....great!!

And the cover closes with the inserts I presume??