Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Just installed JB3.Vroom!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i-Black on Black
Anyone running the new BMS N55 Stage 1 upgrade?

I had the JB3.. This just came out.. Anyone run it yet? What are your thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 535 XI
Please explain what it is
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_P...nce_Tuner.html

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 535 XI
Your call but for the 50HP extra I would not play with my warranty.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
My thoughts - doooo it! (So the cowards like me don't have to be the guinea pigs)

I did see a thread on another board where a few people have it and like it so far.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

I worry about the Burger tune.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I worry about the Burger tune.
Why? They have been some of the most reliable and trusted tunes out there.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
Why? They have been some of the most reliable and trusted tunes out there.
Google Burger and Timing.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Google Burger and Timing.
Nothing came up. Care to share a link to what your referring to?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Nothing came up. Care to share a link to what your referring to?
There was a thread on one of the forums that I can't find now. Had to do with the Burger tunes not having good timing control. There was a lot of talk about how the tunes were dangerous because of it.

To be honest, it was hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I wish I could find it now, I think it was on Bimmerpost. But it scared me, and this coming from someone who owned a tuned turbocharged car...

Old 05-28-2011, 02:46 PM

No worries, thanks for trying.. I just installed it.. Noticeable gains.. Nothing crazy. Definitely faster.. Rear wheals spin a bit, which is nice to feel. Anyone do any minor performance mods yet to their car?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xdrive
Looking froward to a detailed review from you !
Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M5, 08 E93 M3, F430
Quote:
There was a thread on one of the forums that I can't find now. Had to do with the Burger tunes not having good timing control. There was a lot of talk about how the tunes were dangerous because of it.

To be honest, it was hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I wish I could find it now, I think it was on Bimmerpost. But it scared me, and this coming from someone who owned a tuned turbocharged car...
the thread was refuted many times over and the OP who made the accusation was proven incorrect over and over again. None of the data logging on either of my cars show timing too advanced even in map 7 where detonation was occurring. 45K miles on the 335i and 19,000 miles on the 535i with no issues. Both cars spent a couple track days at Infineon Raceway and Thunderhill. Don't believe everything you read.. now Dinan is a whole different story. I have plenty of EGTs I can show your from my E39 M5 where things were NOT right.

Last edited by SANguru; 05-28-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
the thread was refuted many times over and the OP who made the accusation was proven incorrect over and over again. None of the data logging on either of my cars show timing too advanced even in map 7 where detonation was occurring. 45K miles on the 335i and 19,000 miles on the 535i with no issues. Both cars spent a couple track days at Infineon Raceway and Thunderhill. Don't believe everything you read.. now Dinan is a whole different story. I have plenty of EGTs I can show your from my E39 M5 where things were NOT right.
If you have a link to the thread, I would like to read it again. As I said above, a lot of BS slinging in there, but there were some scary points being made.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM

Any new updates on this? After the long weekend what are your thoughts on the addition of this tune? Do you think it is worth it for daily driving etc?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
If you have a link to the thread, I would like to read it again. As I said above, a lot of BS slinging in there, but there were some scary points being made.
Those threads tend not to be very useful. You get folks refuting commonly accepted engine management principles with "my car hasn't exploded so it must be ok" and the discussion degrades from there.

I never understood the argument of buying a tune that couldn't control timing either through a true remap or CPS offsetting to save a couple hundred dollars. Seems like this is small money for your tuner to have control over one of the key parameters of engine tuning.

note: I have no idea if the BMS N55 tune controls timing or not, the threads I have read were based on the N54 tune from the same company.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCubed View Post
Any new updates on this? After the long weekend what are your thoughts on the addition of this tune? Do you think it is worth it for daily driving etc?
Sorry for delayed reply..

OK.. So the power is definitely stronger.. Noticeably, and mostly when you are accelerating aggressively. However, I do notice a very small delay from 1st to 2nd.. Above those gears, it's really smooth. I also drive strictly in sport mode.. I noticed the delay even more in normal driving mode.

Using the sport paddles on the highway at higher speeds is a blast, definitely gave me precedence on the road. Confident acceleration and exhaust note is improved.. With pedal to the floor, the wheels spin.. I also notice the RPM's increase much faster.. Although this is probably a given, it's very noticeable.

BMS often updates their tunes, and I bought the included update cable, which also clears codes, to prevent warranty voiding in the event of an issue.

Installation took a little time (1 hour), but that was because I was having difficulty finding the different sensors to plug the device into. One of the plugs was especially hard to get to, but I did manage to succeed after some sweat.

I wouldn't say to run out and buy it, but it is interesting. I believe you can turn the tune on and off, so if you have the money to burn, you could install it and let it rip, then turn it off for days when you don't want to deal with the minor lag, etc..

Hope this helps!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the update.

Now are you saying the lag has been introduced by the JB chip? and it goes away if you disable it? That is odd. Have you contacted JB about this? Can they fix it via an update?

Also, Are you noticing any noticeable drop in MPG? How about the smoothness of the car while accelerating and idle?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCubed View Post
Thanks for the update.

Now are you saying the lag has been introduced by the JB chip? and it goes away if you disable it? That is odd. Have you contacted JB about this? Can they fix it via an update?

Also, Are you noticing any noticeable drop in MPG? How about the smoothness of the car while accelerating and idle?
I believe the lag has been introduced by the chip. I haven't tried disabling it yet, but I'm going to tonight (been busy, just left it in tuned mode). I emailed terry about it just now. They can update this, and have with other products.. It is a new release, and is always prone to quirks in the beginning.. Smoothness is really nice, besides lag. I can't really say anything bad about it besides lag.. Power has been very fun when driving aggressively.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM

So I am assuming, even after driving it aggressively... no codes or errors have showed up?

Edit: Please keep us posted about what Terry comes back with. i am interested in this tune but do not want to get it until its 100% working and reliable.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I believe the lag has been introduced by the chip. I haven't tried disabling it yet, but I'm going to tonight (been busy, just left it in tuned mode). I emailed terry about it just now. They can update this, and have with other products.. It is a new release, and is always prone to quirks in the beginning.. Smoothness is really nice, besides lag. I can't really say anything bad about it besides lag.. Power has been very fun when driving aggressively.
Any update on this? has it been resolved?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Very interested to see the results as well. I was going to wait for Dinan to come up with the upgrade but after reading this forum may just go with the BBMS and save a bundle of money. Any change in fuel consumption? Obviously when you floor it the consuption will change, but under normal driving patterns is there any change? I am a little concerned about that lag i read about...

Last edited by SpeedRacer51; 07-11-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Hi All.. Sorry for the late report! So far, I wouldn't say it's a HUGE improvement. Only for aggressive driving. It basically feels like the turbo is boosted by 30%. I wouldn't recommend it just yet. In fact, I'm probably going to take it out. So, I would even sell it for $275 shipped, including the code cable to remove codes, a do updates. if anyone wants to try it themselves. Not trying to pitch it, just throwing it out there.

Terry at BMS said the lag isn't the tuner, but the turbo itself. But I feel there is about a 1/4 second increase in lag then stock. Could be just me. As far as fuel consumption, it's a hard question. With it in, I definitely drive more agressive, because it's fun, so my fuel consumption decreases. However from what I hear it actually improves consumption. It's fun when using the paddles.. I probably would not buy it again if I could have test drove it.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Jeffery: What is the main reason you want to remove it? is it the lag? or you feel the increase in power/boost is not worth the money?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM

The lag is the turbo? LOL, that's why the Procede tunes for 135 and 335 have so much lag...