Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
swap? they are charging $200 for the swap. the macair aluminum shell is much thicker and edges are much wider. not comparable.
In Hong Kong by law if you buy an item you have one week to return it or for it to be replaced. Now the telecom companies in Hong Kong that are selling the iPhone 5 make you sign a waiver form that they will not replace the phone for you once walk out of the store and that if the phone is found to be faulty or defected that you will need to take it to the Apple care center to be repaired.

When I brought this to the attention of the staff at the telecom company he said either you sign and accept or you have the option not to buy this phone and buy another one instead.They only make you sign this waiver when buying the new iPhone 5. I doubt this will hold up in court in Hong Kong but how any people out there are willing to or have the time to take on a huge Telecom provider like CSL or 1010 to court over a smartphone...
330 Coupe Sold
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
swap? they are charging $200 for the swap. the macair aluminum shell is much thicker and edges are much wider. not comparable.
Hey dumb dumb, that's a feature... the phone curves around your leg when put into your pocket.

If it's not a feature, then you're storing it wrong.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
In Hong Kong by law if you buy an item you have one week to return it or for it to be replaced. Now the telecom companies in Hong Kong that are selling the iPhone 5 make you sign a waiver form that they will not replace the phone for you once walk out of the store and that if the phone is found to be faulty or defected that you will need to take it to the Apple care center to be repaired.

When I brought this to the attention of the staff at the telecom company he said either you sign and accept or you have the option not to buy this phone and buy another one instead.They only make you sign this waiver when buying the new iPhone 5. I doubt this will hold up in court in Hong Kong but how any people out there are willing to or have the time to take on a huge Telecom provider like CSL or 1010 to court over a smartphone...

you are correct. signing away your rights under duress (a state in which the ifan is under at time of purchase) will not hold up in court.

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." -
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Wait for Samsung to sue them for copying the curved design of the Nexus S and Prime...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Sorry, phones don't bend themselves. My guess is people are sticking them in their back pockets and sitting on them.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Sorry, phones don't bend themselves. My guess is people are sticking them in their back pockets and sitting on them.
yes. and normally they are suppose to be able to handle this. the iphone4/4s steel frame handled this well. thin aluminum, not so well.

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

Last edited by HW; 10-11-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
yes. and normally they are suppose to be able to handle this. the iphone4/4s steel frame handled this well. thin aluminum, not so well.
So you're telling me Apple should be blamed for user stupidity?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
So you're telling me Apple should be blamed for user stupidity?
absolutely not. apple can do no wrong.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Makes total sense.

From now on I should stop putting my 16 months old phone in my back pocket.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Makes total sense.

From now on I should stop putting my 16 months old phone in my back pocket.
they cannot be transported in a pant or shirt pocket. they must be carried in an air pocket lined purse or murse and supported with arms straight out parallel to the ground. else, you're carrying it wrong.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
absolutely not. apple can do no wrong.
Lemme call Samsung and tell them I put my S3 in my back pocket and sat on it. They'll definitely warranty it

HTC is so much better, right?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Apple makes iPhone out of plastic. Haters: "**** Apple, cheap quality!" -> yet their Droids are all plastic...

Apple makes it out of glass and aluminum. Haters: "**** Apple, the glass broke when I dropped it!"

Apple makes it out of aluminum. Idiots sit on their phone and it bends without snapping. Haters: "Apple sucks. Why not plastic? Android phones are better. We want to sit on our expensive glass screen smartphones and nothing should happen!" Yet that One X above, it snapped right in half.

People can't have it both ways... If you are stupid enough to sit on your phone by putting it in your back pocket, you shouldn't have a smartphone.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Pictures of bent phones that aren't iPhones are irrelevant. This like most threads that contain apple content are for haters only.

Quote:
Lemme call Samsung and tell them I put my S3 in my back pocket and sat on it. They'll definitely warranty it

Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Very similar to here, except we don't have dumb waivers. AT&T doesn't really troubleshoot iPhones. They tell people to go to the Apple store. They will, however, exchange them if they are DOA, etc.

I wonder if it is the same at VZW and Sprint?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM
lurking

Quote:

the polycarb chassis is likely able to take some bending before the catastrophic structural failure that you got. aluminum, it will bend slightly but won't flex back.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Pretty much everything the new iPhone 5 does the older iPhone 4 S could do as well.
You could say this about the Galaxy S3 also, which every Apple hater constantly raves about. What does the S3 do that the S2 couldn't? It didn't really do anything to "push" the bar

I've owned both and the evolution is exactly the same as 4S to 5, except the S2 already had LTE, so the S3 wasn't a huge deal.

S2 -> S3

1. faster
2. better battery life
3. bigger screen
4. different design

That sounds exactly like the iPhone 5 from the 4/4S.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

You may as well look for one that got hammered or shot at.

The bending in iPhone5 occurs even if it's put in front pocket.

Do I sit with my phone in my back pocket? hell no. Do I walk with my phone in my back pocket? Yes.

Quote:
the polycarb chassis is likely able to take some bending before the catastrophic structural failure that you got. aluminum, it will bend slightly but won't flex back.
+1
Old 10-20-2012, 06:01 AM
-Eddie

Send a message via AIM to EddieNYC
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
I am happy after 12 Hours

and hopefully for the next 23 months and 29 days..

Out with the old: Sprint Evo 4G

In with the new: Verizon Iphone 5 with Otter Box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my_iphone.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	346550  
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Dissapointingly, still waiting on my reserved iphone 5. I've toyed with the i5 some and it doesn't seem that far of a stretch (literally and figurativelly) from the 4S. Still looks like the previous models for over 5 yrs. I'd like something different like the Galaxy S3, but it feels like a big piece of plastic and so darn huge like holding a laptop to my ear. The i5 is light, too light imo. I can't seem to comprehend why people would want a feather-weight phone. How much lighter do we want to go? How much thinner is enough? I was at the Apple store and took my iphone and slightly scraped it across the back of the black iphone 5 and it scratched (rep was standing there claiming there's no way it will scratch). This is the only reason I'm getting a cover for it otherwise I never use covers. To me, they defeat the whole purpose of owning a nice looking phone.

Anyhow, although not totally satisfied with the i5, it is the alternative I'd rather have at the moment compared to the competition. Besides, phones are never perfect and these imperfections are not that bad.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM

Here's my review on my iphone 5 so far:

CONS
- Newtwork always fluctuates from LTE to 3, and if ever on LTE the reception drop to only 2 bars or the maximum (90% of the time)

- When surfing the web it sometimes just barely begins to load and then freezes. When this happens obviously sending texts stall as well (According to Apple, turn the phone off and on again)

- The minute I step into the elevator I envy everyone else chatting on their phones while mine totally loses reception (According to Apple it's my carrier. However my unlocked Nokia does not do that with the same carrier nor does my cousin's samsung on the same carrier)

- Phone suddenly dims to the lowst level possible. When checking brightness through settings the auto is switched off and brightness is on max (According to Apple, turn phone off and on and again)

- When I'm on speaker the opposite party hears my voice perfectly, but although I hear theirs loud and clear it's distorted to the point where I have trouble understanding the words and turn off speaker

- Ms. Siri is stupid

- Too light (at least for me)

- Phone gets too hot and becomes very uncomfortable to hold

- Terrible battery life. Fully charged it at 12pm, used 20 minutes of calls, 20 minutes of surfing net total and by 4:30pm my battery life was 48%

PROS
- If and when it is working properly on Lte the phone is jet fast

- Call quality is great (not superb or the best, but great)

- Pictures come out awsome

- Crystal clear resolution

- etc etc

All in all imo the phone is over-hyped. With every issue I was advised to turn the phone off and on but there's no way I'm going to be constantly doing that to a phone in this day and age. My other option was to return it to have it fixed. Problem with that is I don't have time to leave it with them and then test drive it (or a newer one) again. I'm still within my refund time-frame and don't want to pass it. Speaking to others with the same phone and googling it online it seems there are countless of folks with the same problems anyway. I'm going to try purchase Samsung S3 tomorrow and test drive it for a day or two. I'm not happy with the iphone 5 and hope the grass is greener on the other side. You'd think Apple would have learned form the previous model defects.

Last edited by mj745; 11-10-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Here's my review on my iphone 5 so far:

CONS
- Newtwork always fluctuates from LTE to 3, and if ever on LTE the reception drop to only 2 bars or the maximum (90% of the time)

- When surfing the web it sometimes just barely begins to load and then freezes. When this happens obviously sending texts stall as well (According to Apple, turn the phone off and on again)

- The minute I step into the elevator I envy everyone else chatting on their phones while mine totally loses reception (According to Apple it's my carrier. However my unlocked Nokia does not do that with the same carrier nor does my cousin's samsung on the same carrier)

- Phone suddenly dims to the lowst level possible. When checking brightness through settings the auto is switched off and brightness is on max (According to Apple, turn phone off and on and again)

- When I'm on speaker the opposite party hears my voice perfectly, but although I hear theirs loud and clear it's distorted to the point where I have trouble understanding the words and turn off speaker

- Ms. Siri is stupid

- Too light (at least for me)

- Phone gets too hot and becomes very uncomfortable to hold

- Terrible battery life. Fully charged it at 12pm, used 20 minutes of calls, 20 minutes of surfing net total and by 4:30pm my battery life was 48%

PROS
- If and when it is working properly on Lte the phone is jet fast

- Call quality is great (not superb or the best, but great)

- Pictures come out awsome

- Crystal clear resolution

- etc etc

All in all imo the phone is over-hyped. With every issue I was advised to turn the phone off and on but there's no way I'm going to be constantly doing that to a phone in this day and age. My other option was to return it to have it fixed. Problem with that is I don't have time to leave it with them and then test drive it (or a newer one) again. I'm still within my refund time-frame and don't want to pass it. Speaking to others with the same phone and googling it online it seems there are countless of folks with the same problems anyway. I'm going to try purchase Samsung S3 tomorrow and test drive it for a day or two. I'm not happy with the iphone 5 and hope the grass is greener on the other side. You'd think Apple would have learned form the previous model defects.
No worries, 5s should be coming soon, according to this rumor, should address all your problems, probably except for the weight and Siri.

Maybe the iPhone cycle is like Windows'... go with the "s"s and skip the non-s....
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
The local news here in Taiwan just reported that Apple had already given Foxconn an order for the new iPhone 5S which is to be released early 2013. I think Apple just realized that if they just release a new smartphone or tablet once every year or two they won't be able to keep up with competition from Samsung and other competitors. Not only that but they will lose market share as well.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
Quote:
For me it's not much different than the iPhone 4 but I spend most of my time on wifi, and only have limited time during the day to play on the phone. I easily make it through the day but it will all depend how you use it.
Same here. No huge difference to me. I sold my iphone 4 for $225 so the new one only cost me $15.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
No worries, 5s should be coming soon, according to this rumor, should address all your problems, probably except for the weight and Siri.

Maybe the iPhone cycle is like Windows'... go with the "s"s and skip the non-s....
See that's the trend being noticed with the iPhones... "the 'next' one should be better", and the trend just keeps going with countless defects in every iPhone that comes out. As an Apple fanboy since the first generation, I find this depressing

Quote:
The local news here in Taiwan just reported that Apple had already given Foxconn an order for the new iPhone 5S which is to be released early 2013. I think Apple just realized that if they just release a new smartphone or tablet once every year or two they won't be able to keep up with competition from Samsung and other competitors. Not only that but they will lose market share as well.
And at the same time if they continue to to release new models every few months or so their customers will drop significantly. What use is purchasing the latest phone only to know a newer model will be out in 6 months? Unless of course the upgrade to the newer model will cost a very small fee in addition to a trade-in, or something as enticing.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:

How is this any different than what Samsung/HTC/Motorola are doing? HTC's "new" phone for fall is just a souped up version of the HTC One X, called the One X+. Just fixed some flaws. Motorola isn't doing any better. The new phones, DROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX, just got new screens, that's it. The S3 is hardly a huge upgrade over the S2.

Why the double standard for Apple, when everyone here raves about how awesome Android and HTC/Sammy are?