BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Samsung Galaxy S3 not working in aux input

29K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  CRIMSONX3 
#1 ·
I have tried everything to get my Galaxy to play music through the aux input located on the back of the arm rest on a 2007 x3, but it will not work. Any suggestions. Other devices work fine.:dunno:

#3 ·
I suspect the galaxy is detecting open circuit. It needs some impedance to activate the audio.
The aux connection wiring is simple, but complex. It has from memory a 200kohm resistor across the head unit inputs to trigger the AUX function in the head unit. But to protect this "AUX trigger" resistance level the AUX socket audio signals are then capacitively coupled to the head unit. If this was not done, any device connected could reduce the 200kohm thus disabling the AUX function. This means that any device connected to AUX does not "see" the expected 100kohm impedance. This is quite ok for device that do not have intelligent output switching. The galaxy does have automatic switching hence a problem. You could fix by opening the socket and connecting a 100kohm resistor from each input to ground. Or maybe there is a hack available for the galaxy to override the automatic headphone detection.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the help!!

I have been doing some research and impedance looks like the issue. I did have an Iphone and I loved it :). I just wanted to try something a little different. The only thing I didn't like was the small screen. Everything else I use is APPLE :thumbup:. Will keep you updated if I can get it fixed.

#7 ·
HI Guys

I am having this issue aswell where as im getting music but very low and very bad quality

Are there no way we could fix this issue?

Im in the same boat as others had iphone worked perfectly then got samsung and now can listen to music through the aux

Jokes aside there must be a way around this???

#10 ·
Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm an E46 owner (325 coupe) and am having trouble with my AUX input as well. Bought the BMW aux input kit, installed it, plugged up my Samsung Note 2, and nothing. Can't even pull up the AUX menu on the stereo. :dunno:

Has anyone found a working fix for this? :bawling:

#11 ·
My daughter has the same phone Samsung galaxy S3 and the same issue with her AUX connection not working.
The phone needs to have low impedance connection in order for it to work correctly with your radio AUX input.
I made her a special cable with the correct impendence matching resistors built into it, it looks no different than a
1/8 inch (3.5mm) inch Female to Male extension cord. It is 2ft long connects into the existing cable.
She said it works great now. If you need one let me know.

#13 ·
In have a Galaxy S4 and had the same problem. Every now and then the headphone to aux connection doesn't work. I ended up putting in a MediaBridge and going bluetooth audio streaming instead.

#14 · (Edited)
Connection on the AUX port.

Same problem. It is a combination of playing the music app and plugging and unplugging the AUX port from the phone or from the car until it takes.

It does work from time to time.

I have tried various connectors and they all have the same problem. Old phone worked so I may use that just to play in the car.

Plug phone to car. Start music. Sometimes it takes and other times it ignores the cord and plays on its speakers. Unplug the cord from the phone and plug in again. App usually stops, start it up again. If that does not work do the same thing unplugging/plugging from the car.

It may be worth doing if you are going to play continuously for a long time. Probably not worth the bother for short trips. If the app stops playing and has to be restarted the AUX connection often dies.

Stone-age car electronics. Time for a better entertainment system?

I pop open the bin in the dash and put the phone in there. No, I would not pay for the stone-age BMW nav system since I get Google Maps on my phone with traffic, 3-D images, internet search, nav and whatever they can think of next.

The roof of the bin amplifies the tinny speakers on the phone which sits on a silicone backrest. Stone-age but it works well enough for words though not for music. I find it amazing that, with just occasional drop offs, I can play internet radio while driving and am not reduced to listening just to local stations.

Tried a bluetooth (Motorola maybe) system with auto detection when the phone came into the car. Thing is that it never let go of my phone even when it was out of the car and inside the house. Maybe the Jabra is better.

#19 · (Edited)
Updating the older post with more details ie what is happening

The AUX connection in the head unit is activated by a resistor as follows:

AUX left <-----+----
-----------------|
....................|
AUX right <----+----

The problem with this is that any device connected to the AUX input will load the input down and the 200k resistance "seen" by the head unit will change

Thus two blocking capacitors are used as such

AUX left +-----+----capacitor ------ galaxy
-----------------|
....................|
AUX right <----+----capacitor ------- galaxy

Now no matter what is connected to the AUX connection, the 200k resistance is still "seen" by the the head unit.

But the Galaxy expects to see the following to activate the audio output - the typical AUX load presented by any "normal" equipment the galaxy would connected to:

galaxy left output-------------+
----------------------------------|
----------------------------------|
galaxy ground output--------+
---------------------------------|
---------------------------------|
galaxy right output ----------+

So the Galaxy needs 100k between the left and right (red and white) to ground to sense a connection and switch audio to the port. A normal ear piece will do this.

The problem is that the AUX connection no longer provides the 100k ohm to ground due to the blocking capacitors.

Thus you need to add two 100k ohm resistors like following to the aux cable you use - the cable from the galaxy to the aux socket

galaxy white -------+-----------------------> to aux audio input
-----------------------|
---------------100k ohm resistor
-----------------------|
galaxy ground -----+-----------------------> to aux audio input
-----------------------|
-----------------100k ohm resistor
-----------------------|
galaxy red ----------+------------------------> to aux audio input

Hope this clarifies this

Edit: had to fix formatting - clunky but it works I hope

#21 ·
I have a Galaxy S4. Before that I had a BlackBerry. For both I used the aux cable plugged into the plug in the rear ash tray. I always kept the cable plugged in and just let the connector dangle near me by the console. I don't know whether this is the problem that everyone is referring to, but frequently I'd get no sound or connection when I plugged my device in.

The solution was simple once I figured it out. You have to plug the cable into the device first and then into the aux plug.

Since it's cumbersome to reach over and plug into the aux plug I purchased an extension cable (M-F) which I keep attached to the cable coming from the aux plug (M-M). So sequence: plug the cable into the device. Then break the connection at the extension. And then plug the extension back in. The device now works fine through the aux output.

#23 ·
Aux

I have a 2008 X3 and been having the same problem. I've always thought it was my phone and didn't really use my phone for music, so I didn't bother with it. My aux connection has been repaired and replace and I got another Galaxy and same issue. So, I contacted Samsung yesterady and was told it's the car and referred me to this site&#8230;.. so it's not only my car.:thumbdwn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.