Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 750 li
problem with starting engine in my f02

hi all ,

i recently bought bmw 750 li , the car have milage 34,000 km and its still under dealer warranty till 100,000 km ,

everything seems fine with the car except this problem with starting engine, which in sometimes ( most cases actually ) i need to press the start engine bottun twice to start the engine,

usually when i press it for 1st time it try to start the engine but seems the power isnt strong enough , note popup ignition is switched on ! and everything work light-screen , when i press it second time the engine do start.

i took the car recently to dealer for other problems and i mentioned the start engine issue , they told me that they have replaced the alternator and battery and did some programming and everything should be fine ,

now when i recieved the car from them other problems seems to have dissapeard ( transmittion fault-abs- battery discharge ) all these notes dissapeard but the start engine problem still present,

the 1st owner of the car told me that he faced this problem since the day he bought the car and dealer told him several time that they checked the car and it seems to be fine,

i just need to know how to solve the problem and is this indicate a bigger problem inside?

sorry for the long explination i just need to know what should i do because the car is under warranty but they keep taking it for 3-4 days everyweek and when i recieve it the same problem excist !
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 B7 Alpina
have you seen this tread??

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=engine+start
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 PM

thx for your rep oneofew that thread was helpfull , even though the problem little bet different he had to wait and try after 10 mins but for my case i just have to press the start bottun twice, one to switch on ignition and the second one will actually turn engine on ,

if i recorded it on video and sued the dealer will i get my car replaced? because its still under warranty and they are not fixing it and im not willing to keep leaving my car in dealershop and drive it on weekends only for nothing
Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM

you all knw how its hard to stay away from your 7 series car, what im thinking right now is to keep the car with me since the problem is minor i just have to press start engine bottun twice to start the engine,

what do you think guys? should i keep the car with me as long as the problem dont increase and something else happen? specially that i still have almost 2 more years for warranty
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 7 Series
What I would do is ask your dealer to write on paper (and signed) about the problem, but that they can't fix it / can't find the cause / already 'fixed'. Then keep the car, and if the problem gets worse you go back to the dealer... they then can't say they didn't know about it (as you've got it on paper).

We have had a problem with our 1995 740i, where after a few thousand kms the motor started consuming oil, every 10,000km we had to add 1,5 to 2 liters of oil! We complained to BMW about the issue, and they said nothing is wrong, that it is normal for such a car :S !!! After 80,000km the motor blew up (from the 8 cylinders, 6 were totally destroyed, 1 was hanging there and the last one seemed ok)!! BMW could not doing anything about it because we did not mention to them about the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a known problem at BMW that the gasoline was eating the side-walls of the cylinders... most engines from other BMW owners were replaced through guarantee, but we had to pay for it ourselves!

So, long story short: get them to write it on paper!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: e93
Just got back from the dealer with the same issue - its the fuel pressure regulator. Ask your tech to check the fuel pressure during the engine running, and then after shut off. He should notice a drop in fuel pressure. Sometimes the lines will have enough fuel pressure that it'll start right up and all is good - but sometimes it wont' and that's when you'll get the long crank. Tell them its a long crank error. Yes yes. I can see the jokes coming. Anyway, i've had my battery recharged, etc as well.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2774 View Post
Just got back from the dealer with the same issue - its the fuel pressure regulator. Ask your tech to check the fuel pressure during the engine running, and then after shut off. He should notice a drop in fuel pressure. Sometimes the lines will have enough fuel pressure that it'll start right up and all is good - but sometimes it wont' and that's when you'll get the long crank. Tell them its a long crank error. Yes yes. I can see the jokes coming. Anyway, i've had my battery recharged, etc as well.

Hope that helps.
That's totally different...
I think this case has smth to do with CAS programming.
I know that you can programm it in e65 so it will start without brake pedal.
Also try to push your brake pedal stronger, it could be simple brake pedal button which got some water and has a bad contact, which tells your dme that you pressed the pedal or not. It's Usa version thing, I reprogrammed mine so it starts even without brake pedal pressed
Ps. That's funny your dealer didn't even check that brake button. It's not a simple brake light button, it has logic inside.
Simply try to start your car without pressing the pedal. You'll get exactly what you're describing: Ignition only, then press on the brakes and it will crank. 99.9 it's your issue. It happens in heavy rain or snow when water stays for long time therefore it evaporates everywhere and the button is the closest there.

Last edited by SFbay; 10-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:59 PM

thx all for sharing , when i open the ignition and then press the brake and start engine its always working fine, but i have a feeling that its a long crank issue :P because even when it start from the first time it takes more than a second to start the engine, anyway i will take your notes to my dealer when im ready to put my car for a couple of days :P thxx alot for the help