Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Cotton-pickin' lean codes

'02 325i
233,000 miles

So I've had 0171 and 0174 codes for a while. I'm now down to the wire as I'm up for a MD emmisions test.

This week, at the advice of the local dealership, I replaced the CVV and all associated hoses. While doing this I found the the vent hose from timing chain cover (upper front hose from CVV) was not properly attached, the vacuum hose to the regulator on the fuel filter was completly broke loose, and another small line between the intake manifold and firewall was broke. The intake boots are in nominal condition as is the DISA.

This work was all completed last night. Drove to work this morning (a 60 mile commute) and at mile 32 the two codes returned.

No other sensors have been replaced on the car. I do have a fuel filter that I was going to replace this weekend.

The car seems to run fine. Idle fine, acceleration fine. There is occasionally a small hint of hesitation on take-off.

In reviewing this and other forums, I'm wondering if this could be a fuel filter/ fuel pump issue. Neither have ever been replaced.

Does this sound reasonable??
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBIII View Post
'02 325i
233,000 miles

So I've had 0171 and 0174 codes for a while. I'm now down to the wire as I'm up for a MD emmisions test.

This week, at the advice of the local dealership, I replaced the CVV and all associated hoses. While doing this I found the the vent hose from timing chain cover (upper front hose from CVV) was not properly attached, the vacuum hose to the regulator on the fuel filter was completly broke loose, and another small line between the intake manifold and firewall was broke. The intake boots are in nominal condition as is the DISA.

This work was all completed last night. Drove to work this morning (a 60 mile commute) and at mile 32 the two codes returned.

No other sensors have been replaced on the car. I do have a fuel filter that I was going to replace this weekend.

The car seems to run fine. Idle fine, acceleration fine. There is occasionally a small hint of hesitation on take-off.

In reviewing this and other forums, I'm wondering if this could be a fuel filter/ fuel pump issue. Neither have ever been replaced.

Does this sound reasonable??

if you have 233K on the original fuel pump and filter, you probably have set a world record. I would definitely change both as they are long overdue. You may also want to take another close look at the intake boots. The cracks like to hide in the folds, esp. in the small tube that branches off. oembimmerparts.com has what you need.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
if you have 233K on the original fuel pump and filter, you probably have set a world record. I would definitely change both as they are long overdue. You may also want to take another close look at the intake boots. The cracks like to hide in the folds, esp. in the small tube that branches off. oembimmerparts.com has what you need.
Do I get a medal for the world record???

I'm going to test the fuel pressure tonite and try to get the filter on also. I did check the intake boots this week and they are currently nominal.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Have you checked your DISA flap?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Check these vacuum lines out too. You need to pull the intake cabin air filter housing and the shroud around the brake system to gain access to those behind the intake manifold. It is tight but doable. Use an inspection mirror to inspect them. #5 electric switch is tucked under and snapped onto the intake. #6 is a check valve...make sure you re-install the correct direction. It is color coded, black and white side.

There is also another 12" piece of tubing that is connected right next to the #9 cap that runs down to a cannister that is not shown in this photo.

Any or all of these 3.5MM inside diameter (.127" so 1/8th will work too) vacuum lines will cause a lean code if cracked...and usually something that points to secondary air pump.

All the sponsors of this forum carry the 3.5MM vacuum tubing but it is a little pricey compared to what you find on e-bay when you search for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vacuum tubing.png
Views:	46
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	344516  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 AM

DISA Valve is OK.

I did find a broken hose at the No.6 valve earlier.

Right now I'm attempting to check the fuel pressure, but my gauge will not attach to the access point on the fuel rail. I going to put a new fuel filter on now. I would have liked to read pressure before and after, but it doesn't look like that will happen...

Anyone know of an adaptor that will allow an Actron gauge (CP7818) to connect to the smaller fitting on the car??
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM

New fuel filter installed with no problems. The engine is noticealbly smoother at idle and at highway speeds. But...

Still have the lean mix codes. Also a 00161 Heater Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 2 (have to look into this).

Tonite I'm going to dive back in, looking at the vacuum system.