Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci Convertible
XENON BALLAST REPLACEMENT HELP - Any Experience?

Hi,
I had water infiltrate my right headlamp area (645Ci). Light went out and of course headlamp error on. Diagnosis confirms:
Bulb OK
Igniter OK
High beam OK
Halo OK
Given that, I'm told it's 90% sure the ballast is bad which is less that a $100 part. As I understand though, I have to drop the bumper to get to the ballast and replace this? I have some other reasons for wanting to drop the bumper also so I think I'll do it. Anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions on where I can get instructions?
Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Chester; 10-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
Drop the bumper. Ballast you mean xenon module right?. Repair instruction in tis or alldata

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci Convertible
Hi MINI+BMWtek,

THANK YOU! TIS is a FANTASTIC DIY resource!

Yes, as I understand it, the "ballast" is also the "control module". Looks like removing the bumper is not that difficult.
Sounds like you're experienced in this - any advise? Would you agree with the above diagnosis - that it must be the "control module"?

Thanks again,

Scott
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
xenon modules due tend to get water ingress very easy,make sure your order the right part since the smc ecu is very similar. Removing headlight is needed to access ecu,some BMW you can snake out the xenon w/o removing headlight but i dont remember for E63 I usually need to remove inner liner from what i see i make the choise to r/i headlight. Starting from E65 r/i bumper is ness. To r/i headlights