Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645 CI Neiman Marcus
Hard riding 2004 645CI

Hi need advice. Have a 645ci 2004 with RF TIRES. It rides real hard and I would like to know if anyone has had RF tires and changed them to regular tires and noticed a change in the ride. I picked up this car last October and it only has 12000 miles on it. Thank you in advance for any help! I've had 10 back surgeries and am looking for a little ease of ride.

Regards!
Peter
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safaripete View Post
Hi need advice. Have a 645ci 2004 with RF TIRES. It rides real hard and I would like to know if anyone has had RF tires and changed them to regular tires and noticed a change in the ride. I picked up this car last October and it only has 12000 miles on it. Thank you in advance for any help! I've had 10 back surgeries and am looking for a little ease of ride.

Regards!
Peter
I changed to Hancook NRF and the ride is dramatically better. I also bought a spare to keep in the trunk. It is the best thing you can do for the ride. There are lots of threads on this issue and different opinions what tires are best but everyone agrees that the ride is much better. Also they are less than 1/2 the price of run flats. Good luck.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 07-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I would scrap the run-flats if you want an improved ride. The difference is massive when I switch from my summer runflats to my 19" winter non-run-flats. Expansion joints and recessed manhole covers no longer make me wince when I am running my winters.

The highest rated summers when it comes to ride comfort (according to the TireRack customer survey which I find is very accurate) :
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport (I can verify these are uber smooth)
  • Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
  • Continental ExtremeContact DW

Any non-run-flat will be a big improvement but the 3 tires listed above will make the most difference.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645 CI Neiman Marcus
Thank you very much. I WILL be scrapping the RFs ASAP.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: '05 645 vert
Been curios but haven't found the definitive answer yet. When you go from RF to NRF, does the pressure monitoring work the same since? Do you need to do anything at all?

Thanks