Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
Rear Suspension Question (Bushings)

Once again, I need to tap into the vast brain trust. I've been hearing lately a slight rattling from either side right behind me. The subframe is not pulled loose, cracked, etc. I checked that out when I revamped the driveshaft. Could the stock swingarm bushings be the culprit? I can't find anything else loose. The car does have 110K on it and still runs like a raped ape. I have also noticed that the rear tires are overly cambered in (rear obvious to the naked eye). I was told that car had not been lowered, but now beginning to wonder due to the tire wear I'm seeing. I will have to confirm the ride height tomorrow. Anyway, any thoughts from the vast experience pool will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Are you sure it's not the rear shock mounts in the boot area? That's a very common problem. Most people upgrade with Rogue Engineering or Ireland Engineering rear shock mounts.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanx Blacklane for the thought. Already changed to Ireland mounts with the Bilstein touring shocks. Also put a couple spring rubbers in each side for a tad more stiffness. I checked the setup again today and all seems to be where it needs to be. What has me also concerned and wondering is if the camber could be also due to the warn bushings. Thanx again.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Well, as a follow up and on an idea sparked by Blacklane, I decided to check my top shock mounts, etc. All was tight and I increased the tightness on the shock stem thru the urethane bushings. No luck. The knocking, rattling, etc, actually seemed to be amplified. Soooooooo.... I decided to remove the urethane shock stem bushings and replace them with a little less stiffer set of rubber bushings. The sound was less. I also decided to change my spring rubber inserts to more of a "lift" position and checked the ride height. I'm about approximately 3/4" (L) and 1/2" (R) high over spec without weights and the right rear still is cambered in pretty good. I didn't measure it yet, but with all my CADD graphics 3D experience, I can definitely tell it's more than a couple degrees inward. Thanx in advance for the suggestions, thoughts, etc.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM

I'm yelling "uncle"...I give. Took the speed buggy an put on a set of pretty good used tires today until I get all the suspension tweaks done. Put 225/50s in the front and 225/55s in the rear. Car is nerveracking "quiet" as compare to before. Still hear a slight rattle from time to time and I'm now beginning to wonder if it is a panel in the trunk or something. Yes/no..anyone? Anyway, checked ride height with 150lb passengers in car and 50lbs of kitty litter in rear- 1/4" high against stock heights (22.76) even in rear and 25.5" LF and 25.25" RF. With new struts, shocks, and spring rubbers raising the rear, and not knowing if the car came with sport or standard suspension package, I can only assume my setup has "sagged" over time. With an angle finder on level surface I'm cambered at ~2 1/2LR, 2LF, 1RF, and ~2RR. With no shims in the LF and being 2 1/2degs is that ball joint/bushing problems?

BTW, it was really nice having the ole speed-o-meter read the right speed with the 55s on the back.