Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
New F10 Owner

Finally!!

After some research here and on another forum and shopping for a leftover 2013 model year, I made a deal today on a 2013 535 X Drive, Alpine White/Black Dakota/Anthracite trim, M Sport, Executive Package & BMW Apps. I would have liked HUD but couldn't find a leftover 2013 with the option and I calculated a 2014 model wold cost about $8,000 more with the same options.

The car is in Ontario and will be freighted to my dealer, arriving in 8 - 12 days. As a surprise, the dealer tells me that BMW often assists dealers in moving cars from dealer to dealer for a sold unit so there may not be any additional charges for freight to get the car here.

I got a super deal and I'm taking advantage of 0.9% lease rate for 39 months. Just have to decide on whether I need 20,000 km/year or 24,000 km/year. If it behaves, I'll buy it out at the end (never happened with the 6 BMWs I've owned in the past though - I always seem to turn the car in for another one).

Now just need some advice on winter wheels and snow tires. I'll go from 19's down to 18's for the winter, just not sure if I can get a great deal on the BMW wheels at my dealer or have to go The Tire Rack route.

Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Congratulations on your new ride!

Tire Rack has a great selection. Check to see if your local BMW dealer offers a storage service- very convenient if you're willing to pay up for that.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride!

Tire Rack has a great selection. Check to see if your local BMW dealer offers a storage service- very convenient if you're willing to pay up for that.
Actually, I have a warehouse at work and I usually switch over my own set and then store the summer set up on a pallet. I wonder if the TPMS system can follow 2 sets of wheels/tires or it requires a dealer reprogram like our 2011 Honda Odyssey.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Bmw X5/2010 528i
New F10 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
Finally!!

After some research here and on another forum and shopping for a leftover 2013 model year, I made a deal today on a 2013 535 X Drive, Alpine White/Black Dakota/Anthracite trim, M Sport, Executive Package & BMW Apps. I would have liked HUD but couldn't find a leftover 2013 with the option and I calculated a 2014 model wold cost about $8,000 more with the same options.

The car is in Ontario and will be freighted to my dealer, arriving in 8 - 12 days. As a surprise, the dealer tells me that BMW often assists dealers in moving cars from dealer to dealer for a sold unit so there may not be any additional charges for freight to get the car here.

I got a super deal and I'm taking advantage of 0.9% lease rate for 39 months. Just have to decide on whether I need 20,000 km/year or 24,000 km/year. If it behaves, I'll buy it out at the end (never happened with the 6 BMWs I've owned in the past though - I always seem to turn the car in for another one).

Now just need some advice on winter wheels and snow tires. I'll go from 19's down to 18's for the winter, just not sure if I can get a great deal on the BMW wheels at my dealer or have to go The Tire Rack route.

Congrats. I am tempted to trade my 2010 528 too, they are giving big discount and the rate is great. Which dealership you went? I am in markham.
My brother in law got the 528 demo. Premium instead of executive. All like yours. He got the insurance. Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw718 View Post
Congrats. I am tempted to trade my 2010 528 too, they are giving big discount and the rate is great. Which dealership you went? I am in markham.
My brother in law got the 528 demo. Premium instead of executive. All like yours. He got the insurance. Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm in western Canada, but my car is coming from a dealer in the GTA. I have spent some time driving the 528 X Drive and really liked it. I spoke to the dealer in Oakville (Budd's BMW) and he said the 528 X Drive is their volume seller, followed by the 535 X Drive. He said they only deliver 3 - 4 550's a year.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks enjoy your BMW. I was going to recommend a place for your tires. But you are not from Ontario.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Grover432
Tires are a personal choice but I bought a set of 4 18inch Falken Eurowinter 439 snow tires and 4, M3 style 18inch wheels to mount them on. I bought tires and wheels from KAL TIRE in Duncan,BC. The wheels are in polished, light gunmetal( very durable and corrosion resistant) . I find the Falkens quiet and sticky, working well on black ice, light and moderate snow falls and in the rain--which is typical Island weather. My wheels were $187 each(plus tax) and I couldnt get a better deal from Tire Rack nor that particular wheel which is really sharp. I can get my wheels switched to summer for free as my summers are runflat and left on BMW Sport Rims. Make sure that the wheels you choose have proper offset or they will scrape against your brake rotors and that is not nice. My TPMS was reset after the winter wheels were put on and tire pressures checked. No problem.
AL
Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler View Post
Grover432
Tires are a personal choice but I bought a set of 4 18inch Falken Eurowinter 439 snow tires and 4, M3 style 18inch wheels to mount them on. I bought tires and wheels from KAL TIRE in Duncan,BC. The wheels are in polished, light gunmetal( very durable and corrosion resistant) . I find the Falkens quiet and sticky, working well on black ice, light and moderate snow falls and in the rain--which is typical Island weather. My wheels were $187 each(plus tax) and I couldnt get a better deal from Tire Rack nor that particular wheel which is really sharp. I can get my wheels switched to summer for free as my summers are runflat and left on BMW Sport Rims. Make sure that the wheels you choose have proper offset or they will scrape against your brake rotors and that is not nice. My TPMS was reset after the winter wheels were put on and tire pressures checked. No problem.
AL
Thanks Al, I'm at the dealership tomorrow to start the paperwork for my car so I'll check out the winter set offerings. I live on the prairies so I have to content with deeper but dry snow all winter combined ice. I'm actually more concerned about stopping than I am about getting going. How much did the dealer charge you for the switch over and the TPMS reprogram?

Our 2011 Odyssey EX-RES needs the dealer to reset the TPMS, but the higher level "Touring" model is able to hold 2 sets of wheel sets and switches over automatically.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Fastpaddler

I reset the TPMS from the menu myself. I had bought my Falken Eurowinter 439 tires(18 inch) from KalTire two years ago and was switching them off and on the BMW wheels for the Conti runflat SSRS. THis year I bought a set of M3 wheels, as noted, and had the winter tires put on them. I paid 187x4 for wheels and then you have the balancing, tire valves and taxes. Overall it cost me 950 for everything. But, I get my winters taken off and summers put on for nothing and, KALTIRE checks my air pressure, lug bolts etc any time for free plus for my Sprinter turbodiesel RV too. In a few years the costs are recouped. I didnt need to buy new lug bolts for the new wheels as the standard ones fitted fine. BMW charges the earth for wheels and, they send out your car anyway for any wheel work including balancing or wheel alignment. I am happy with KalTire as are my son and son-in-law,.
Happy motoring wherever you are in Canada.
Al
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I reset the TPMS from the menu myself. I had bought my Falken Eurowinter 439 tires(18 inch) from KalTire two years ago and was switching them off and on the BMW wheels for the Conti runflat SSRS. THis year I bought a set of M3 wheels, as noted, and had the winter tires put on them. I paid 187x4 for wheels and then you have the balancing, tire valves and taxes. Overall it cost me 950 for everything. But, I get my winters taken off and summers put on for nothing and, KALTIRE checks my air pressure, lug bolts etc any time for free plus for my Sprinter turbodiesel RV too. In a few years the costs are recouped. I didnt need to buy new lug bolts for the new wheels as the standard ones fitted fine. BMW charges the earth for wheels and, they send out your car anyway for any wheel work including balancing or wheel alignment. I am happy with KalTire as are my son and son-in-law,.
Happy motoring wherever you are in Canada.
Al
Thanks, I'll check in with Kal Tire. Do you have any pictures of your wheels? I'm considering the Dunlop SP 3Ds RF for winter rubber. I'm not sure if Kal carries them though.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Fastpaddler

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check in with Kal Tire. Do you have any pictures of your wheels? I'm considering the Dunlop SP 3Ds RF for winter rubber. I'm not sure if Kal carries them though.
I have them on my OUT email basket.ANyway, just ask KALTIRE to show you the M3 series which you can see at CORERACING.COM

?
M3-Series
Light Gunmetal
Back Rim Diameter Rim Width Bolt Pattern Offset Price
17 7.5 5120 41 $166.99
17 7.5 5120 18 $171.99

18 8 5120 41 $188.99
18 8 5120 18 $193.99

Hope that helps .Good prices compared to other suppliers. Mine are the 18 inch 8.5 5x120 41.
Al

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 10-27-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I have them on my OUT email basket.ANyway, just ask KALTIRE to show you the M3 series which you can see at CORERACING.COM

?
M3-Series
Light Gunmetal
Back Rim Diameter Rim Width Bolt Pattern Offset Price
17 7.5 5120 41 $166.99
17 7.5 5120 18 $171.99

18 8 5120 41 $188.99
18 8 5120 18 $193.99

Hope that helps .Good prices compared to other suppliers. Mine are the 18 inch 8.5 5x120 41.
Al
Thanks, I'll check Kal Tire out this week.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
grover432, congrats on your new ride from another Western Canadian!

Not sure if you know that unlike US BMWs, Canadian BMWs do not use a TMPS sensor in each wheel. Wherever I have changed over my tires the dealer just resets from the Idrive - no sensors to install.

I think on the 535 you can go 17 or 18 inch for winter tires. I ran 17 inch on my 2008 535. I just installed new winter tires and rims on my 550 last week (we got the first snowfall today). I would have installed 17 inch if I could but on the 550 BMW claims they have be 18 inch to clear the brakes. The BMW dealer great deal for the 18 inch rims and tires was over 4 grand installed. I think the 17 inch are considerably cheaper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 (1528x859) (1473x737).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	404373
Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
grover432, congrats on your new ride from another Western Canadian!

Not sure if you know that unlike US BMWs, Canadian BMWs do not use a TMPS sensor in each wheel. Wherever I have changed over my tires the dealer just resets from the Idrive - no sensors to install.

I think on the 535 you can go 17 or 18 inch for winter tires. I ran 17 inch on my 2008 535. I just installed new winter tires and rims on my 550 last week (we got the first snowfall today). I would have installed 17 inch if I could but on the 550 BMW claims they have be 18 inch to clear the brakes. The BMW dealer great deal for the 18 inch rims and tires was over 4 grand installed. I think the 17 inch are considerably cheaper.

Attachment 404373
Thanks CGP, BMW dealers are offering the same Dunlop SP 3D/Style 281 wheels across the country for $3,806.00 plus taxes. My dealer suggested $3,200.00 and I've told them they need to be closer to $2,800. The parts department wasn't open Saturday so I'll talk to the sales manager today. My new 2013 won't be here for at least a week so I have a bit of time to sort this out, but I'll go The Tire Rack route if I need to. It takes a bit of research to determine the offset of the 281 wheels which I'd like to keep. I also need to understand the quality of the different wheel manufacturers offered at Tire Rack because it isn't much of a savings at TR, if I get a winter set for $2500 and the wheel rims leak 2 years in or aren't as robust as the BMW rims.

I'll have to check with the dealer on the TPMS system for Canadian cars. My understanding is that the system can provide independent tire pressure readings (when coded) so that must mean individual monitors (as opposed to just differential rotation). Maybe that is only for US cars?

PS - Looking at page 103 of the US/CAN online owners manual confirms that Canadian cars provide additional information of tire pressure readings for each tire. In addition, all cars have a "flat tire monitor" which works off rotational speed differences.

Last edited by grover432; 10-28-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Fastpaddler

Quote:
Thanks CGP, BMW dealers are offering the same Dunlop SP 3D/Style 281 wheels across the country for $3,806.00 plus taxes. My dealer suggested $3,200.00 and I've told them they need to be closer to $2,800. The parts department wasn't open Saturday so I'll talk to the sales manager today. My new 2013 won't be here for at least a week so I have a bit of time to sort this out, but I'll go The Tire Rack route if I need to. It takes a bit of research to determine the offset of the 281 wheels which I'd like to keep. I also need to understand the quality of the different wheel manufacturers offered at Tire Rack because it isn't much of a savings at TR, if I get a winter set for $2500 and the wheel rims leak 2 years in or aren't as robust as the BMW rims.

I'll have to check with the dealer on the TPMS system for Canadian cars. My understanding is that the system can provide independent tire pressure readings (when coded) so that must mean individual monitors (as opposed to just differential rotation). Maybe that is only for US cars?

PS - Looking at page 103 of the US/CAN online owners manual confirms that Canadian cars provide additional information of tire pressure readings for each tire. In addition, all cars have a "flat tire monitor" which works off rotational speed differences.
Grover432
I have read elsewhere those Dunlops are good but wear fast. If I were not using the Falken 439 I mentioned I would get either Blizzak or Michelin Ice or X-ice. Let me know what Kaltire says.They should be no more expensive than the dealer in Duncan,BC near me.The BMW dealer is asking a lot for what they provide as I noted before. For $2000 max you should get what you want--within reason.
AL

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 10-28-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Grover432
I have read elsewhere those Dunlops are good but wear fast. If I were not using the Falken 439 I mentioned I would get either Blizzak or Michelin Ice or X-ice. Let me know what Kaltire says.They should be no more expensive than the dealer in Duncan,BC near me.The BMW dealer is asking a lot for what they provide as I noted before. For $2000 max you should get what you want--within reason.
AL
Blizzaks have historically worn very quickly and I've read reviews that say after the first season they only have about 50% of their original grip. I'm not sure if this is the case with the latest generation. As I've written elsewhere, I have had both X ice (original) and X ice 2. The originals were excellent tires while the X ice 2's were a major disappointment. I'd consider the X ice 3's but need to do more research to make sure they will perform.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Grover432, thanks for the information. Good luck on pricing. So you are saying that with the tire sensors the Canadian cars will provide the info? My BMW certainly does not give the tire pressure for each wheel. Do you need to get the sensors?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Grover432, thanks for the information. Good luck on pricing. So you are saying that with the tire sensors the Canadian cars will provide the info? My BMW certainly does not give the tire pressure for each wheel. Do you need to get the sensors?
From the 2013 F10 Manual (Online) P 120-121:

"For Canadian Models: Additional Information

The status display additionally shows current tire pressures and tire temperatures, The values shown are current measurements and may vary depending on driving style or weather conditions"

Based on the above, I can only assume that each wheel has a TPMS sensor in it. This idea that US cars don't have monitors is a bit confusing to me as I have been searching this forum for a used winter set. I haven't found a suitable one yet but I have come across many 19" RFT OEM sets (taken off, presumably for a 20" upgrade) and most of the ads state that they include the TPMS monitors (although some don't). The ads are all from the USA.

Upon further reading of page 102 (before getting to Canadian text), the manual reads: "For this purpose, sensors in the tire valves measure tire pressure and tire temperature".

The difference in the Canadian cars is that the information collected by the sensors is actually displayed in the "status display" (not US cars, I guess - without some coding).

Last edited by grover432; 10-28-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Fastpaddler

Yes each wheel has a sensor but the sensor is not in the tire or valve but somewhere in the wheel geometry itself, according to my info from BMW. I switch from summer to winter tires all the time and just reset the TPMS and away I go. Even with my new M3 wheels, no problem. Where it is exactly perhaps someone else can explain.

AL

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 10-28-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Yes each wheel has a sensor but the sensor is not in the tire or valve but somewhere in the wheel geometry itself, according to my info from BMW. I switch from summer to winter tires all the time and just reset the TPMS and away I go. Even with my new M3 wheels, no problem. Where it is exactly perhaps someone else can explain.

AL
My understanding is it is part of the tire valve assembly. The valve stem is metal and has a bulb (for lack of a better term) that sits up against the inside of the rim. The geometry you refer to is related to the "Flat Tire Monitor" (see page 102 of the 2013 Owners manual) which tells you if the tire has a flat. I assume both the low air pressure warning as well as the flat tire warning would indicate in the event of a flat. I believe the smaller tire circumference would result in a drastic increase in wheel speed relative to the other wheels (geometry at work) and set of the flat tire alarm. Two levels of warning, I assume.

Last edited by grover432; 10-28-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
From the 2013 F10 Manual (Online) P 120-121:

"For Canadian Models: Additional Information

The status display additionally shows current tire pressures and tire temperatures, The values shown are current measurements and may vary depending on driving style or weather conditions"

Based on the above, I can only assume that each wheel has a TPMS sensor in it. This idea that US cars don't have monitors is a bit confusing to me as I have been searching this forum for a used winter set. I haven't found a suitable one yet but I have come across many 19" RFT OEM sets (taken off, presumably for a 20" upgrade) and most of the ads state that they include the TPMS monitors (although some don't). The ads are all from the USA.

Upon further reading of page 102 (before getting to Canadian text), the manual reads: "For this purpose, sensors in the tire valves measure tire pressure and tire temperature".
Well, all I know is my E60 did not show tire pressure. My f10 does not show tire pressure and it certainly does not show tire temperature. Canadian BMWs, as far as I know, only show status - ie. simply green as good to go or red. That's why, at least as I understand it, in the US they have tire moniter for each wheel but in Canada we do not need the monitors. If you learn different or there is a code please let me know.

I had the Dunlops on my 535 and got 4 years out of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 (1528x859) (1473x737).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	404561
Old 10-29-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Well, all I know is my E60 did not show tire pressure. My f10 does not show tire pressure and it certainly does not show tire temperature. Canadian BMWs, as far as I know, only show status - ie. simply green as good to go or red. That's why, at least as I understand it, in the US they have tire moniter for each wheel but in Canada we do not need the monitors. If you learn different or there is a code please let me know.

I had the Dunlops on my 535 and got 4 years out of them.

Attachment 404561
I pick up my car next week. I'll check with the service/parts department when I do. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the owners manual (entirely possible).
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 AM

USA vehicle sensors are in the tires.
Canadian sensors are in the abs system.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: Future BMW Owner
Quote:
Finally!!

Congrats! How much are your payments? Any money down?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xemi View Post
Congrats! How much are your payments? Any money down?
Let's just say the car costs more in Canada because the starting price is 15% more than in the USA and "Freight & PDI" ("Destination") is $2,095.00 instead of $795.00 in the US.

I'm not sure if I'm putting money down on the lease. I have to decide in the next day or so though because the dealer called just now to tell me that the lease residuals will change on November 1st so if I want to guarantee the payment we agreed to, I need to complete the paperwork and the lease deal by the end of business on Thursday October 31st. Scary (no Halloween pun) because I won't get a chance to see or drive the car as it is still a week away (en route from another dealership). It is interesting because the car is en route and I'll insure it without seeing it. If it comes with body damage my insurance company will want to know if it was damaged before or after the policy was placed.

I've also suggested to the dealer that they might want to give me a car to drive as I'll be paying for a car (and they'll have made a sale) that I can't drive for another week or week and a half.

OK, so I'm nit picking now.