Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
2011 550xi can't decide

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and hopefully a contributing member.

I've been contemplating a 2011 550xi CPO for the last few weeks. Local dealer has one, 50k miles, for $39k. I lose on my trade in, so out the door is $43k, + $2500 maintenance plan $1800 for full wrap. I've been told to get the full wrap and maintenance plan.

In the last 3 years, I've had a Nissan 350z, Mustang GT convertible, Mercedes C300 3matic, and Nissan 370z roadster. I have to say, I like my manual transmission and convertible, which is why I keep going back to them, but I drove the 550 last week and COULD NOT believe how unbelievable the ride was, the response, and overall vehicle itself.

The dilemma I have is if I should go for the 550xi, as a single bachelor, ha, or go for the 4 series convertible in time. Part of me says I will like this car for a few months, and then have a craving for a drop top again.

At the same time I did enjoy my c300, it was great to fit more than 1 person in the car, and the car drove remarkable, and winter was a joke, close your eyes and drive. I think I would get the same feeling from the 550.

If I get the 550, I would eventually want to do the quad exhaust, I saw a few clips on youtube and the sound was amazing. Does this type of thing void CPO warranty?

Do you think the cost of this vehicle is good? Are the MP and wrap negotiable items?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix Msport
I just sold a 550i msport RWD to a dealer with 19,000 miles and he is asking 44,500 for the car and its a 2011. You have a relatively high mileage car in theory to PRICE and not Craftmanship which would lead me to believe that price could use a little haggling.....
Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by day03tls View Post
I just sold a 550i msport RWD to a dealer with 19,000 miles and he is asking 44,500 for the car and its a 2011. You have a relatively high mileage car in theory to PRICE and not Craftmanship which would lead me to believe that price could use a little haggling.....
Thanks for the input. They would not budge a bit. I even looked at cars.com and searched a practically the US for CPO 550i, and while there are not many, this one was priced 5k below the rest, and this one had many more options compared to the other one I looked at.

These guys won't budge on their price, adamant that it is priced to sell, yet it has been on the lot for 2 months. They are even not budging on my trade amount
Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix Msport
Their is never really a true win/win when buying a car. Its whats comfortable for you. I have bough 550's and I often end up losing unless you make big money and the costs can be accepted. As a starter to the 550 which I can assure you will have no regrets you should buy your first and lease from there on. Just my .02 cents. If you have mile restrictions then you have to take that into account. Look at it this way the F10 refresh was in 2011. New body style.....

Sometimes you just have to buck up and do it if you really want it. You can spend countless hours and stress going back and forth.....they want you to cave in as they have time and are not emotionally involved with the car....its just a profit center for them....nothing more.....look into extended warranty.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
I've got a 2011 550xi with a Dinan tune. Love the car. Great in the snow (I used to drive an Acura MDX and the 550 is better - lower center of gravity), plenty of room, comfortable ride in Normal mode, plenty of handling / speed in sport mode.

However, I have 2 kids, a wife and a 140lb Great Dane. So I occassionally need that kind of room. Also an avid golfer and want that trunk size. Without those needs, and looking at your past buying habits, I'm not convinced this is the car for you. If you are tired of the ride in those cars (great steering but bumpy; except the Merc) or because they didn't have enough trunk space or room inside, or handling in the winter, etc. (i.e. practical considerations) but still want great performance, then consider the switch. If you aren't solving for a practicality issue I think I'd go with an M3 or 335x (if you want awd) or wait for the 4 of your choice, etc. The footprint of those cars delivers something closer to what you've had.

Once my kids are out the door, I'll end up downsizing to solve for golf clubs only! In the meantime, I haven't come up with a car I'd rather have to meet all the needs (and I get plenty of new car buying itch; just never find something that delivers the all around solution like this one).

Good luck
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankshank View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and hopefully a contributing member.

I've been contemplating a 2011 550xi CPO for the last few weeks. Local dealer has one, 50k miles, for $39k. I lose on my trade in, so out the door is $43k, + $2500 maintenance plan $1800 for full wrap. I've been told to get the full wrap and maintenance plan.

In the last 3 years, I've had a Nissan 350z, Mustang GT convertible, Mercedes C300 3matic, and Nissan 370z roadster. I have to say, I like my manual transmission and convertible, which is why I keep going back to them, but I drove the 550 last week and COULD NOT believe how unbelievable the ride was, the response, and overall vehicle itself.

The dilemma I have is if I should go for the 550xi, as a single bachelor, ha, or go for the 4 series convertible in time. Part of me says I will like this car for a few months, and then have a craving for a drop top again.

At the same time I did enjoy my c300, it was great to fit more than 1 person in the car, and the car drove remarkable, and winter was a joke, close your eyes and drive. I think I would get the same feeling from the 550.

If I get the 550, I would eventually want to do the quad exhaust, I saw a few clips on youtube and the sound was amazing. Does this type of thing void CPO warranty?

Do you think the cost of this vehicle is good? Are the MP and wrap negotiable items?

Thanks!
The price is not too bad for a CPO, but dont let them make more money off you from the trade, full bra and maintenance plan. Sell the car youeself or shop the trade around with other dealers, if you really want a bra and the maintenance plan, you can shop around for lower pricing on those as well.
Going from the 350Z or even a C300 will be a big change, you might not think so at first because of power of 550i, but the 550i is a much bigger car and heavier as well, you will notice that in certain situations. If you were looking for a bigger car, then the 550i is not a bad choice, but I would stay away from the 1st year design, they had a few design issues. I would try to find a 2012, most of the issues have been worked out in the second year.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbing View Post
I've got a 2011 550xi with a Dinan tune. Love the car. Great in the snow (I used to drive an Acura MDX and the 550 is better - lower center of gravity), plenty of room, comfortable ride in Normal mode, plenty of handling / speed in sport mode.

However, I have 2 kids, a wife and a 140lb Great Dane. So I occassionally need that kind of room. Also an avid golfer and want that trunk size. Without those needs, and looking at your past buying habits, I'm not convinced this is the car for you. If you are tired of the ride in those cars (great steering but bumpy; except the Merc) or because they didn't have enough trunk space or room inside, or handling in the winter, etc. (i.e. practical considerations) but still want great performance, then consider the switch. If you aren't solving for a practicality issue I think I'd go with an M3 or 335x (if you want awd) or wait for the 4 of your choice, etc. The footprint of those cars delivers something closer to what you've had.

Once my kids are out the door, I'll end up downsizing to solve for golf clubs only! In the meantime, I haven't come up with a car I'd rather have to meet all the needs (and I get plenty of new car buying itch; just never find something that delivers the all around solution like this one).

Good luck

The dinan tune stage 1? Is that the +95HP? No void on warranty? I can see me enjoying that for sure. Part of the reason I want the bigger car is for work, it's hard to take more than 1 person out in my current car, haha. I also wanted something different, and of course price is factor, M3 was definitely out of my price range. I may have to revisit.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The price is not too bad for a CPO, but dont let them make more money off you from the trade, full bra and maintenance plan. Sell the car youeself or shop the trade around with other dealers, if you really want a bra and the maintenance plan, you can shop around for lower pricing on those as well.
Going from the 350Z or even a C300 will be a big change, you might not think so at first because of power of 550i, but the 550i is a much bigger car and heavier as well, you will notice that in certain situations. If you were looking for a bigger car, then the 550i is not a bad choice, but I would stay away from the 1st year design, they had a few design issues. I would try to find a 2012, most of the issues have been worked out in the second year.
The problem is if I sell on the outside, I loose on the tax benefit. I hear you on the big change, because of the size of the car, no more zippy weaving in and out of traffic, well, there is, but not as easy. haha.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbing View Post

Good luck
I agree, but in the end I don't think any of this will matter to the OP. Given the number of car changes in the last 3 years, this could just be another short term own. Of course, be prepared to take a major hit when you try and sell this car. Priced $5,000 below other cars, it is on the dealer lot for 2 months. My E39 sat on my dealer's lot (it was 5 years old at the time) for 14 months before it sold. It was perfect and had very low mileage.

OP, I'd just keep the car you have until spring and get a 428 X Drive or 435 i. It has no trunk space, but if you like a drop top, it will be a great car for you (single guy and all).
Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
The problem is if I sell on the outside, I loose on the tax benefit. I hear you on the big change, because of the size of the car, no more zippy weaving in and out of traffic, well, there is, but not as easy. haha.
You only lose the tax benefit if the tax benefit is larger than the increase on selling yourself. Taking the time to determine that is certainly worth the time with respect to piece of mind.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Are the wrap and maintenance plans negotiable?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Are the wrap and maintenance plans negotiable?
The wrap is definitely negotiable, there is a big mark up on those things at the dealer. You can probably have it warp for half of the price if you go to a body shop. The maintenance plan I am not so sure about, BMW might have a set price for that, but you can always do the maintenance at a indy BMW mechanic, it will be cheaper but no loaners and free snacks
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The wrap is definitely negotiable, there is a big mark up on those things at the dealer. You can probably have it warp for half of the price if you go to a body shop. The maintenance plan I am not so sure about, BMW might have a set price for that, but you can always do the maintenance at a indy BMW mechanic, it will be cheaper but no loaners and free snacks

LOL snacks. I never had a dealer give me snacks. I'm liking this BMW thing already. What is Indy BMW Mechanic?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
What is Indy BMW Mechanic?
Independent BMW mechanics.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Oh and that won't void the cpo warranty? I'm trying to figure out where the exhaust, or leaks are covered. CPO does not cover that, nor does maintenance plan?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM
That's Rad!

Mein Auto: 05, E60/545i
Quote:
Oh and that won't void the cpo warranty? I'm trying to figure out where the exhaust, or leaks are covered. CPO does not cover that, nor does maintenance plan?
Words from Dinans website - http://www.dinancars.com/warranty.aspx
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Went in.
$48,500 OTD with maintenance plan, tire warranty and CPO platinum wrap. And that doesn't cover everything bumper to bumper.
I told them I need another day to think about it. lol.

I took it for a drive again, and I noticed it had the K40 installed, which is a $2500 install they said. Car drove remarkably, again, what a great vehicle it was. LARGE. But DAMN.

I cannot make up my mind.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM
F10

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Fwiw, a local dealer had a black 2011 550i xdrive with m5 wheels for $29,999 and it had 44K miles, work on the price a little bit
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
Fwiw, a local dealer had a black 2011 550i xdrive with m5 wheels for $29,999 and it had 44K miles, work on the price a little bit
WoW. really? Was that CPO? That is absurdly low pricing.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
F10

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
WoW. really? Was that CPO? That is absurdly low pricing.
Yeah it was a great price and only lasted a few days probably not CPO though, but there's another 550xi close to me with 52K miles for $32K so definitely work on the price.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Went in.
$48,500 OTD with maintenance plan, tire warranty and CPO platinum wrap. And that doesn't cover everything bumper to bumper.
I told them I need another day to think about it. lol.

I took it for a drive again, and I noticed it had the K40 installed, which is a $2500 install they said. Car drove remarkably, again, what a great vehicle it was. LARGE. But DAMN.

I cannot make up my mind.
Looking at autotrader, low $40K is about right for a 2011 550xi. Now if you could only get a decent trade and forget about all those dealer add on, it would be a decent deal. Do you mind sharing what they offer you for trade and what year is your 350Z and options?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Looking at autotrader, low $40K is about right for a 2011 550xi. Now if you could only get a decent trade and forget about all those dealer add on, it would be a decent deal. Do you mind sharing what they offer you for trade and what year is your 350Z and options?
Yeah CPO is definitely $44k ballpark range in the chicago area, +500 miles. This one I am on, it he cheapest, $39. Last night I went there, $48 out the door. lol

2010 Nissan 370z Roadster Touring, 26,000 miles, offered me $23,700 for it.

I did a autotrader trade in value on that BMW, and it came to only $32k. Ouch...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah CPO is definitely $44k ballpark range in the chicago area, +500 miles. This one I am on, it he cheapest, $39. Last night I went there, $48 out the door. lol

2010 Nissan 370z Roadster Touring, 26,000 miles, offered me $23,700 for it.

I did a autotrader trade in value on that BMW, and it came to only $32k. Ouch...
Not sure about IL. but here in New England, quite a bit of dealer use KBB for trade in value. I just punch in your 2010 370X touring and came up with $23323 for good condition. I think your dealer's trade in offer is better than you think. You can always take your car to CarMax and get a trade in evaluation, they are always a bit low, but you will have a general idea of what your trade in is worth.

Last edited by The X Men; 10-29-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Quote:
I always wonder about quoting Autotrader for car values. It just tells you what people would like to get, but you never know what they got for their car, after the ad disappears from the site.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
I always wonder about quoting Autotrader for car values. It just tells you what people would like to get, but you never know what they got for their car, after the ad disappears from the site.
True, as the old saying goes, you can ask for as much as you want, but how much did it sold for?