Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM
wanderlust wanderlust is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Audi Q7 TDI

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/2012-audi-q7-tdi/

Somehow I never knew they made this...
__________________
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams.
Having arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Flyingman's Avatar
Flyingman Flyingman is offline
hang up and drive!
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,997
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/2012-audi-q7-tdi/

Somehow I never knew they made this...
You've been living under a rock?

We've been posting comparisons with the X5, Q7, ML350 BT and GL350 BL, Cayenne, Touareg, etc...
__________________

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,548
Mein Auto: '06 X3
An excellent choice if you really need that third row -- that real adults (or large teens) can use. The new ones get the uprated 240 hp diesel with the 8 speed that are found in the other VA(P) large diesels for 2013. If you don't need the third row, then check out the new T-egg -- the bargain of the bunch. Same drivetrain as the new Cayenne diesel at about half the price. Well, maybe two thirds the price.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
spyderdoc spyderdoc is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
An excellent choice if you really need that third row -- that real adults (or large teens) can use. The new ones get the uprated 240 hp diesel with the 8 speed that are found in the other VA(P) large diesels for 2013. If you don't need the third row, then check out the new T-egg -- the bargain of the bunch. Same drivetrain as the new Cayenne diesel at about half the price. Well, maybe two thirds the price.
.

Just picked up a 2013 Touareg TDI exec. SWEET ride. I actually like it better than my beloved X5d that I turned in. Quick, smooth, 8-speed trans, NO RATTLES, handles great (and I had adaptive drive in my X5), and much better electronics inside. Considered the Cayenne TDI, but VW has exact same drivetrain, 100k powertrain warranty, and includes 3 years of service for $25k+ less....Could not justify the extra $$ for the same drivetrain......
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 PM
GreekboyD GreekboyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 551
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post
.

Just picked up a 2013 Touareg TDI exec. SWEET ride. I actually like it better than my beloved X5d that I turned in. Quick, smooth, 8-speed trans, NO RATTLES, handles great (and I had adaptive drive in my X5), and much better electronics inside. Considered the Cayenne TDI, but VW has exact same drivetrain, 100k powertrain warranty, and includes 3 years of service for $25k+ less....Could not justify the extra $$ for the same drivetrain......
Congrats! Post some pics.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 PM
spyderdoc spyderdoc is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2999 copy.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	347538  
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,548
Mein Auto: '06 X3
doc, nice ride! Would be interested in your fuel mileage after a bit too. I sort of, kind of, have been waiting for the new Q5 diesel but I may not be able to wait that long -- so my next choice would be what you bought.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM
spyderdoc spyderdoc is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
So far, only about 600 mi on it. I have been averaging 24mpg with 70/30 city/hwy. My X5 got no better than 21.5mpg on mixed driving with the 19 in rims, and 20mpg on the 20 in rims. My VW has 20 in rims, so it seems to be more efficient....The VW has a 25ish gallon diesel tank, so has about 700 mi range. We'll be taking it to Tahoe over New Year, so will see how it does on the highway....

It feels as strong as the X5 as far as accelerating off the line and passing at speed. It has a much quieter cabin than the X5, including engine sound, wind noise, and tire noise. No rattles inside whatsoever. Pretty much no diesel noise (I liked the noise on the X5) heard in the cabin. When accelerating, it sounds more throaty, almost like you would have removed an air filter to get more of that throaty sound.....

It feels solid on the road, and handles very well. My old X5 had adaptive drive, so I feel a bit more lean in the VW. Nonetheless, it handles very well and feels solid and well planted on the road.....

Comfort wise, the seats are very comfortable. The sport seats in my X5 may have been slightly more comfortable and offer a bit more lateral support, but harder to get in and out of. The steering wheel is thick like the sport wheel on my X5, and has a good feel to it. The steering is variable, so at low speed it is very light and easy to turn, and it stiffens up as you pick up speed. Road feel is not as good as the X5, but is is pretty good nonetheless.

The electronics in the VW blow away the X5 (and my wife's current 2012 F10). Touch screen NAV is great! Voice commands are easy to use. Radio sounds a lot better. There is a temperature gauge, which I like. Front parking sensors are always on, so when I am parking head in, they beep when I get close to something. On the X5, The sensors only come on if you put in reverse or turn them on manually....

The VW has a spare tire, which I like. Strangely, there is no dipstick, but there is a tube present for the dipstick with a rubber stopper (instead of a dipstick), so I can order the dipstick from a 2012 model and it is compatible. Even if I don't get a dipstick, I like that the tube is there so when I do my own oil change, I can use an oil extractor. The oil filter is at the top of the engine as well.

Mirrors "auto-fold" when doors are locked, which I like.

The VW came from factory with a tow hitch that looks like it really belongs there, unlike the X5 where they have to hack away the rear bumper plastic to mount the hitch....

The VW has a 100k mile powertrain warranty, which is awesome. Also 3 years of maintenance is included...

A couple of minor things I am not crazy about. The rear windows don't roll all the way down, so 3-4 inches of glass remain visible with the windows "all the way down". The steering wheel heater does not have a button on the steering wheel, so you have to turn it on through the touchscreen NAV display...Easy to do, but not as convenient as a button on the steering wheel. I don't think the VW has a ceramic heater like the X5, so takes longer to heat up in the morning. Also, there is a fuel filler restrictor, like on the X5...

I was also thinking of waiting for the Q5 diesel, but WAY too many on the road around here (as well as X5s, Cayennes, Q7s). The Q5 is also a bit small for my needs (kids, etc), and more like the size of X3...

I don't see too many Touaregs on the road, unlike the X5, X3, Audi, Cayenne. I figure at the price point of the VW, people may go for the badge. I think the VW is a very understated, and has a lot of great features and luxuries similar to the "brands"....

I highly recommend it. I see you are in Silicon Valley. I can let you know where I got mine and the price if you send me a PM. I got a great deal, considering it is a 2013......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM
finnbmw's Avatar
finnbmw finnbmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 840
Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
spyder, thank you for the review. We test drove the T-reg TDI (both 2012 and 2013 models) extensively before deciding to get another X5. What we really liked about the T-reg was the lack of engine noise at idle, speed sensitive steering, 7,700 lb towing capacity and the bigger trunk space, especially when you slide the back seats forward. What became absolute deal killers for us were:
1. The flimsy sunroof screen (the engineer that designed that should be fired on the spot!). Just wait for the summer when that heat will radiate through that screen into the cabin. I sat in a slightly used T-reg and the screen had already wrinkled itself on the rollers. The screen does not belong in a $50k+ vehicle IMO.
2. Uncomfortable front seats. My wife is petite and she could not find a setting that was comfortable. We identified the problem as too long seating area, it ended right underneath her knee and she never felt good in the seats. No way we would be able to do long road trips in the T-reg.
3. Front styling. I understand it's a matter of taste, but when the Jetta, Passat and Touareg all look similar from the front, somebody has not put a thought into styling cues. IMO, a $50k+ vehicle has to look good from all angles, otherwise I will move on. Call me vain, but I am the one looking at the vehicle for 10+ years and it better look good
4. Aggressive pricing on the X5. Our new X5 cost the same as a Touareg Lux version (our choice), so in the end it was a no-brainer for us.

The Touareg is a fine vehicle and a worthy contender, but it just wasn't for us.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,154
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post
So far, only about 600 mi on it. I have been averaging 24mpg with 70/30 city/hwy. My X5 got no better than 21.5mpg on mixed driving with the 19 in rims, and 20mpg on the 20 in rims. My VW has 20 in rims, so it seems to be more efficient....The VW has a 25ish gallon diesel tank, so has about 700 mi range. We'll be taking it to Tahoe over New Year, so will see how it does on the highway....

It feels as strong as the X5 as far as accelerating off the line and passing at speed. It has a much quieter cabin than the X5, including engine sound, wind noise, and tire noise. No rattles inside whatsoever. Pretty much no diesel noise (I liked the noise on the X5) heard in the cabin. When accelerating, it sounds more throaty, almost like you would have removed an air filter to get more of that throaty sound.....

It feels solid on the road, and handles very well. My old X5 had adaptive drive, so I feel a bit more lean in the VW. Nonetheless, it handles very well and feels solid and well planted on the road.....

Comfort wise, the seats are very comfortable. The sport seats in my X5 may have been slightly more comfortable and offer a bit more lateral support, but harder to get in and out of. The steering wheel is thick like the sport wheel on my X5, and has a good feel to it. The steering is variable, so at low speed it is very light and easy to turn, and it stiffens up as you pick up speed. Road feel is not as good as the X5, but is is pretty good nonetheless.

The electronics in the VW blow away the X5 (and my wife's current 2012 F10). Touch screen NAV is great! Voice commands are easy to use. Radio sounds a lot better. There is a temperature gauge, which I like. Front parking sensors are always on, so when I am parking head in, they beep when I get close to something. On the X5, The sensors only come on if you put in reverse or turn them on manually....

The VW has a spare tire, which I like. Strangely, there is no dipstick, but there is a tube present for the dipstick with a rubber stopper (instead of a dipstick), so I can order the dipstick from a 2012 model and it is compatible. Even if I don't get a dipstick, I like that the tube is there so when I do my own oil change, I can use an oil extractor. The oil filter is at the top of the engine as well.

Mirrors "auto-fold" when doors are locked, which I like.

The VW came from factory with a tow hitch that looks like it really belongs there, unlike the X5 where they have to hack away the rear bumper plastic to mount the hitch....

The VW has a 100k mile powertrain warranty, which is awesome. Also 3 years of maintenance is included...

A couple of minor things I am not crazy about. The rear windows don't roll all the way down, so 3-4 inches of glass remain visible with the windows "all the way down". The steering wheel heater does not have a button on the steering wheel, so you have to turn it on through the touchscreen NAV display...Easy to do, but not as convenient as a button on the steering wheel. I don't think the VW has a ceramic heater like the X5, so takes longer to heat up in the morning. Also, there is a fuel filler restrictor, like on the X5...

I was also thinking of waiting for the Q5 diesel, but WAY too many on the road around here (as well as X5s, Cayennes, Q7s). The Q5 is also a bit small for my needs (kids, etc), and more like the size of X3...

I don't see too many Touaregs on the road, unlike the X5, X3, Audi, Cayenne. I figure at the price point of the VW, people may go for the badge. I think the VW is a very understated, and has a lot of great features and luxuries similar to the "brands"....

I highly recommend it. I see you are in Silicon Valley. I can let you know where I got mine and the price if you send me a PM. I got a great deal, considering it is a 2013......

Congrats on the Touareg. I researched it at great length and almost bought one last year. I'm a huge VAG fan.

You're getting better MPG due to the 8 speed automatic. It's an awesome unit.

And the Touareg TDI does have a electric ceramic heater, like the BMW. If it's anything like my old '10 Jetta TDI, you have to put the heater on high and you can actually hear it working because there's an audible clicking noise behind the dash.

I decided against the Touareg due to poor T1/T2 reliability, crappy VW dealers, and the Touareg has poor resale value next to the X5.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,548
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Doc, pm sent.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I decided against the Touareg due to poor T1/T2 reliability, crappy VW dealers, and the Touareg has poor resale value next to the X5.
We bought VWs for many years, mainly the Bugs, but ultimately what pushed us away was the dealers here. Good friend of mine has the VW mini van for his wife and they have had pretty crappy dealer experiences too. I know one time so bad that his wife called him up in tears over how they treated her.

I have always liked the Toureg though and after spending some time in a couple different SUVs earlier this year I think that is the direction I'd go if I were to get into an SUV of that size.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM
e90diesel e90diesel is offline
Registered User
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2009 335d base model
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
doc, nice ride! Would be interested in your fuel mileage after a bit too. I sort of, kind of, have been waiting for the new Q5 diesel but I may not be able to wait that long -- so my next choice would be what you bought.
I now have over 22k miles on my 2011 Touareg TDI. The build quality is superlative, not a single squeak or rattle or problem of any kind.

The fuel economy on the open road is impressive to say the least. I have taken several trips with a 37 mpg (hand calculated) result. See fuelly for details if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM
dalekressin's Avatar
dalekressin dalekressin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,007
Mein Auto: 2010 M3
The Porsche Cayenne has plenty of fuel economy and torque.
__________________
94 530i sold (That was difficult for me)
01 530i >144,500+ miles SOLD
06 330XI winter's especially fun drive (SOLD)
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90diesel View Post
I now have over 22k miles on my 2011 Touareg TDI. The build quality is superlative, not a single squeak or rattle or problem of any kind.

The fuel economy on the open road is impressive to say the least. I have taken several trips with a 37 mpg (hand calculated) result. See fuelly for details if interested.
How fast do you normally drive? I only wonder because that is almost equal to the best tank I have gotten in my 335d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
The Porsche Cayenne has plenty of fuel economy and torque.
As I understand it, the diesel version of that has the exact engine and transmission as the VW and Audi offerings entering these new model years. I really like the looks of the Porsche but hard for me to justify the near $20-25k more to get those looks and suspension and especially when the VW appears to come with a much better warranty and maintenance.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM
e90diesel e90diesel is offline
Registered User
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2009 335d base model
Usually about 60 mph. Same speed/route with my 335d resulted in 42 or so mpg.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90diesel View Post
Usually about 60 mph. Same speed/route with my 335d resulted in 42 or so mpg.
Thanks ... you are far more patient than I.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM
spyderdoc spyderdoc is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
3. Front styling. I understand it's a matter of taste, but when the Jetta, Passat and Touareg all look similar from the front, somebody has not put a thought into styling cues.
I see this mentioned a lot, but I must say that pretty much every Bimmer looks the same from the front nowadays as well. Don't get me wrong, I still love the BMW brand. In fact, the wife is driving a 2012 535i, and it looks nice, drives pretty good, and she is perfectly happy in it.....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM
spyderdoc spyderdoc is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
The Porsche Cayenne has plenty of fuel economy and torque.
In fact, exactly the same as my VW Touareg since it has exactly the same drive train. Nice ride you have there
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I have noticed a lot of brands have different models that all look the same from the front. Porsche for a long time seemed this way and might still be.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,548
Mein Auto: '06 X3
The "corporate face" is a significant and important thing to the various marques. One of the early "major failures" was the Edsel -- the "face" became the butt of numerous jokes involving the Oldsmobile grill and an old maid in an asparagus patch. A more recent failure was Subies foray into the vertical grille on their line -- which was quickly modified within one MY into a "normal" grille "face". Car makers like to have "evolutionary - not revolutionary" styling and the car's face is a big part of that. No surprise that VW's offerings all have "the look" as do the BMW, MB, ect, ect.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,610
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I have noticed a lot of brands have different models that all look the same from the front. Porsche for a long time seemed this way and might still be.
Don't forget that all European cars need to meet the new pedestrian safety standards. The higher hoods on the new 3 & 5 series are to help meet this by giving the hood some crush room - since they're inline engines and the engine goes clear to the front...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Don't forget that all European cars need to meet the new pedestrian safety standards. The higher hoods on the new 3 & 5 series are to help meet this by giving the hood some crush room - since they're inline engines and the engine goes clear to the front...
I always figured it was the headlights that made things look similar. But can't say I ever studied things. I know for years if I saw a Porsche coming from the distance that it really seemed hard to tell which model it was because all looked the same from the front to me.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms