Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X-5 / 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post
I called the Koni rep and he stated the orange koni's are the same strut as the yellow koni, just not adjustable...i.e. they are set to a "nominal" setting...
Interesting, I did not know that. Are the oranges set to the softest setting of the Yellows?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
I would not know that as he said nominal....If it is the softest setting I would hate to see the hardest setting....probably a click or two above min would be considered nominal.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Soft on the highway for comfort
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
yes, you missed it....I stated above that, I put the orange Koni's (Str t's) on them two years, 20,000 miles ago and I am happy with them.
Was already considering Koni Str T's, and now according your experience, i think those suit me exactly. Maybe i exactly want ones which are factory set and i don't need to worry about it.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Thanks for this. I have 17" wheels. I just measured with a tape measure which is not all that accurate but I come up with Front: 23" converts to 584.2mm. Rear: 22 11/16" converts to 576.3mm.

I am within 4.8mm in the front; Rear is off by 22.3mm.

What do you think?
I think check your measurements. Standard rear suspension for 17" wheels should be 570 mm or 22.44" with a 10 mm (0.4") max deviation. According to your measurements, you have sport front and standard rear.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
I think check your measurements. Standard rear suspension for 17" wheels should be 570 mm or 22.44" with a 10 mm (0.4") max deviation. According to your measurements, you have sport front and standard rear.
Checked the rear measurements again today. Left rear height is 22 5/8" or 574.67mm. Right rear measurement is 22 3/8" or 568.325mm. I just crossed checked the part number on my originally installed rear shock and it crossed to standard suspension.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Anyway, I called the Koni rep and he stated the orange koni's are the same strut as the yellow koni, just not adjustable...i.e. they are set to a "nominal" setting....
This is disappointing news to me. I have installed the Koni Strts on a car and honestly thought they sucked. No where near as good as the yellows IMO. If they are "un-adjustable yellows" I would be surprised. But, I've been wrong before.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
This is disappointing news to me. I have installed the Koni Strts on a car and honestly thought they sucked. No where near as good as the yellows IMO. If they are "un-adjustable yellows" I would be surprised. But, I've been wrong before.
I guess each person's expectations's and evaluation are different. Thanks for the steer to the PN's on the rear shocks. I got enough of the number to match the PN of the standard suspension rear shock absorber, thanks to Max, so that cracked the code. A sport suspension rear shock would be too short. Also determined that my suspension height was higher than sport suspension. There is no doubt - I have the sport package with a standard suspension. So now that I know the correct suspension, I am back to looking at new struts/shocks. Still evalutating Koni Yellow, FSD and Bilstein HD - which fit on standard suspensions. Any opinion or comments on Bilstein performance?

Last edited by JNMNL52; 10-09-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Any opinion or comments on Bilstein performance?
For non sport you can get the non HD Bilstein units. I've installed two sets of them and they did ok. They are a lot like the Koni orange IMO. Soft, compliant, and not really sporty. Bilstein HD's are harsh and wouldn't work well IMO with non sport springs.

I've followed your thought process throughout this thread and I really think you should do the FSD's. Sounds like you'd be happiest with them. Can't really go wrong with them.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
For non sport you can get the non HD Bilstein units. I've installed two sets of them and they did ok. They are a lot like the Koni orange IMO. Soft, compliant, and not really sporty. Bilstein HD's are harsh and wouldn't work well IMO with non sport springs.

I've followed your thought process throughout this thread and I really think you should do the FSD's. Sounds like you'd be happiest with them. Can't really go wrong with them.
Thanks Smolck; I have been leaning towards the FSD's since they are designed for standard suspension. Also considering Rogue Engineering RSM's. I don't think I would take the time to adjust rear Yellow's if need be and I don't do any track. I remember when my 330i was new and the ride was absolutely awesome with standard Sach's struts/shocks. I want that drive back. FSD's have to be better than OEM Sach's. I appreciate all of your sound advice here on the forum.