Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 330i 2006
Radio/CD intermittent Muting

I’ve had a cd/radio problem with a E90 330i 2006 for years.

At first, after about 2 hours of listening, the sound of the cd/radio (and every other audio including parking sensors) would on it’s own, totally mute. I had to turn the radio off for 1 or 2 hours, and everything became normal again. Since I used the car very little, it was not a big bother.

For the past months, I/m using the car more frequently, and the problem modified: the same muting happens, but now only after 20/30 minutes of music. But the muting goes stays for only 5 to 15 seconds, and then the audio is back on again. But the “muting” keep re-occurring every few minutes. Very annoying.

Turning the Bluetooth on or off on the Iphone does no difference. The car is fitted with a Motorola V3 wiring kit, which I no longer use, since the Iphone Bluetooth works fine.

Any leads on a fix ? Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Angry problem seems associated with Bluetooth

After a few new tests, I noticed that every time the sound goes dead, the Bluetooth connection with the phone is lost. When the sound comes back after a few seconds, the Bluetooth connection is re-established.

I also noticed that the sound goes dead every few minutes when the Bluetooth connection is off. Activating the Bluetooth connection result in the sound going dead every 50seconds, with almost clock precision.

In a phone call through Bluetooth, the phone sound never goes dead.

The problem seems to be associated with the Bluetooth module !
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335i 2007
Hello, I have the exact problem, same isues on my 2007 E90; the only difference is that "muting" apears in cold and hot conditions, it started yesterday and I've been reading here in Bimmerfest that it might be the amplifier (in the trunk) and on ebay rebuilt ones are around US$550.00 so I'm afraid to visit the dealer.
I also read that in one case (not exactly the same one) they disconected the batery of the car for 24hr and problem went away but hopefully some one might help us in this forum.
Greetings ...
Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 AM

Exclamation

Just read another comment in forums and other chance you have before spending any money is to check that your batery is full charged, ironicly my car was on the paint shop for almost 9 days so tomorrow morning I will take my car to the mechanic.

Hope the info helps you!!!

Last edited by Luis Grayeb; 10-06-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 AM

Hi. My car was in the shop with the battery disconnected for several days, and nothing changed. The problem is really weird, and three dealers hadn't a clue on how to fix it. It is definitely not in the power module. An independent mechanic has had dozens of such cases, which he was able to solve by hardware disabling the Bluetooth capability in that module (in the trunk, close to where the tire would be). I didn't want to lose the Bluetooth, so I kind of solved it the brute force way: Since my problem was temperature related, I drilled a 2" hole I the module, and installed a very small 12V fan, blowing air into the module, right over the processor. The problem is gone, except for when I activate the Bluetooth. During the phone conversation I have no problem, but some times after the phone is disconnected the problem is back, the sound alternating between mute and sound at minute intervals. So I turn off the Bluetooth, and only re-activate it if I want a long phone call. Not totally perfect, but OK, since I could get no help from BMW. And if you go into sites that show BMW parts, and researching that module, you will find a large number of successive discontinued modules, suggesting there could be a design flaw in that particular part. I never heard of the problem in the newer BMW's. Hope my experince helps.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM

Thankyou for sharing this, it really helps.